2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
17" at least
3. What screen resolution do you want?
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Want portability but will be Desktop replacement. Move around a lot and don't want to tote a whole PC
5. How much battery life do you need?
As much as possible, Will mainly be plugged in but would like as long as possible just in case.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Med-High settings for all. WOW is definite and I play some of the first person stuff like COD: Black Ops, But I really want it capable of handling most of the roughest games out there.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Downloading and burning CD's and Movies
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Thinking SSD but am looking for best performance and longevity. I want this to last quite a few years, external drive for movie and music storage
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Looking into Xotic PC and Origin.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Looking for at least 4-5 years worth, Probably a little longer
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Need to burn everything but want Blu-Ray Read/Write as well
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No real preference in this area
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Bit of a Noob here. looking for something that I will be happy with for a long time to come. Move around to much to have a home base system. Plan on using my internal drives for programs and games only. Want the best I can get and am willing to pay to make that happen. It's been about 6 years since my last so I figure I'm do.
Even spending $4000 now I don't think in 4 years you'd be all that happy with gaming performance with 4 years on top-of-the-line games.
My suggestion would be get something like the Sager NP8170-S1 now for about $2170 with GTX 485M upgrade 1920x1080 17.3" LCD, Sandy Bridge Core i7-2630QM 8GB RAM.
Then in 2014 get the best laptop that $1800+ will buy and use that for the through 2017.