Device cannot start code 10

Dasalias

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I have a Nikon Imaging scanner which my PC detects on connection. I have the correct driver which device manager installs with a code 10 error, the device cannot start.

My PC is running Windows 7 64bit. I should point out that the scanner works correctly on my old PC running Windows XP, so there is no problem with the hardware. Anyone got any ideas why I might be getting the code 10 error on my new PC?

Solution

check nikion web page to see if they have newer software or a patch to work around windows 7 64 bit. most times with old software they tell you to right click on the instaler and tell it to install in xp mode.
http://www.colorneg.com/XP/Vista/7/driver_for_64-Bit_Windows/Coolscan/Nikon_Scan/

Can you confirm the model number of the scanner? and confirm it is win 7 compatible?

the reason I ask - is that there was a tech change for Windows beyond XP which meant a who;le class of scanners (including mine) were no longer compatibe. My old scanner would not work with Vista.. though it worked perfectly with XP...
Looking at the Nikon site.. some scanners do not show as compatible beyond XP...

So... please confirm.... model of scanner.. .and reiterate how you have confirmed "I have the correct driver"..
just to be sure

Thanks.

Dasalias

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

My Nikon scanner is a USB Coolscan IV (LS-40). Nikon have not produced a driver for Windows 7 64-bit. However, there is a workaround .inf file available on the web that overcomes the problem. It has worked successfully for many people according to sevenforums.com, but not for me. Alternatively, Vuescan produce a 64-bit driver that works. Using this driver, device manager finds the driver and installs it, only to report the code 10 error. I also get the code 10 error when I use the .inf workaround. For this reason I think there is some kind of compatibility issue between my PC and the scanner. Interestingly, the code 10 article on this forum suggests uninstalling all USB device drivers before installing the scanner driver. Haven't tried it yet. Any other suggestions?

Sorry - I cant constructively help.. you are deffinately "Off piste" here..

I checked Nikon site and as you say, this is one of the scanners that does not have support beyond XP from Nikon, so who knows what is in that .inf file you have got. I would have thought that if you got it from sevenforums.com then that might be a good place to ask for help?

Only thing I might say... I notice from Nikon site that there is a firmware update fro your scanner... you should probably make sure that you have the latest version.. (Nikon site suggests 1.2.0 is latest).. if you not on latest.. may be that why the .inf does not work.

But im just guessing..

If you really struggling.. may be you can run XP within Win7 (virtual machine.. think it free from MS if you running Win 7 prof or Ultimate) and try run you scanner in that.....

Good luck.
Cheers

Solution

Dasalias

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Updated the firmware and - Hey presto, problem solved!

Updating the firmware is a bit of a rigmorale. You have to roll back the Nikon Scan software to Version 3. Luckily, I still have an old PC running XP and the Nikon Scan V3 disk.

With regard to the sevenforums, there are over 400 posts dealing with "Getting Nikon Scanners to work with Windows 7 64-bit". Not a single post mentions firmware upgrade. To be fair, the .inf driver solution is primarily aimed at getting the more exoensive "thousand" series scanners working with Win 7 64-bit but, nevertheless, some LS-40 users have managed to get their scanners working with it. I can only assume that they already had the latest firmware installed in their scanners, perhaps without them even knowing.

Many thanks for your response.