More, Plus Question re Inability to Install new Definition..

Last response: in Computer Brands
August 17, 2004 2:27:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Neither LiveUpdate or the new Ad-aware will install the new definitions.
In NAV's case I'm getting the LU6004 error. In Ad-Aware's case am getting
a msg. after download stating: "Downloaded Definitions File Could Not Be
Read, Please try again."

Regarding the NAV defs, I fllwd Symantec instructions to delete everything
in the LiveUpdate/Downloads folder. Didn't help. Same error (failure to
authenticate).

I can't remember if I mentioned this here or not but this has all started
since a new hard drive was installed last Friday, to replace one that had
multiple bad sectors. A friend ghosted an image of the old drive contents
to a network card, and then when I got the new drive, put that image on
same.

So, let's say that some Windows ME file that makes it possible for these
definition files to be read/authenticated/installed has become corrupted.
Does anyone know which file that might be? If I could find out maybe I
could replace that file with an uncorrupted version...?

The fact that I had a problem with the old Ad-ware and getting the new
defintion file, and uninstalled that, and am now having a problem getting
new definition files with the NEW Ad-aware, suggests th problem does not
lie directly with that program, doens't it? On the plus side, I can still
run Ada-ware, but just with the definitions file that it came with. Can
still do a virus scan as well, but with last week's definitions. But those
are becoming redundant I would say.

Also, if I have to resort to it, what is a really, really, safe site to do
an online virus scan? Thanks much.

Marilyn B.
August 17, 2004 2:27:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

did you install a download "enhancer" /manager?
The bad sector therory could be the answer, you really should have had
a BU done before the sector incident.

"Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1040817101505.29797C-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...

> Neither LiveUpdate or the new Ad-aware will install the new
definitions.
> In NAV's case I'm getting the LU6004 error. In Ad-Aware's case am
getting
> a msg. after download stating: "Downloaded Definitions File Could
Not Be
> Read, Please try again."
>
> Regarding the NAV defs, I fllwd Symantec instructions to delete
everything
> in the LiveUpdate/Downloads folder. Didn't help. Same error (failure
> authenticate).
>
> I can't remember if I mentioned this here or not but this has all
started
> since a new hard drive was installed last Friday, to replace one
that had
> multiple bad sectors. A friend ghosted an image of the old drive
contents
> to a network card, and then when I got the new drive, put that image
on
> same.
>
> So, let's say that some Windows ME file that makes it possible for
these
> definition files to be read/authenticated/installed has become
corrupted.
> Does anyone know which file that might be? If I could find out maybe
> could replace that file with an uncorrupted version...?
>
> The fact that I had a problem with the old Ad-ware and getting the
new
> defintion file, and uninstalled that, and am now having a problem
getting
> new definition files with the NEW Ad-aware, suggests th problem does
not
> lie directly with that program, doens't it? On the plus side, I can
still
> run Ada-ware, but just with the definitions file that it came with.
Can
> still do a virus scan as well, but with last week's definitions. But
those
> are becoming redundant I would say.
>
> Also, if I have to resort to it, what is a really, really, safe site
to do
> an online virus scan? Thanks much.
>
> Marilyn B.

August 17, 2004 10:13:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Back up 'BU' hind sight is always 20/20

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> did you install a download "enhancer" /manager?
> The bad sector therory could be the answer, you really should have
had
> a BU done before the sector incident.
>
> "Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message

news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1040817101505.29797C-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...

> > Neither LiveUpdate or the new Ad-aware will install the new
> definitions.
> > In NAV's case I'm getting the LU6004 error. In Ad-Aware's case am
> getting
> > a msg. after download stating: "Downloaded Definitions File Could
> Not Be
> > Read, Please try again."
> >
> > Regarding the NAV defs, I fllwd Symantec instructions to delete
> everything
> > in the LiveUpdate/Downloads folder. Didn't help. Same error
(failure
> > authenticate).
> >
> > I can't remember if I mentioned this here or not but this has all
> started
> > since a new hard drive was installed last Friday, to replace one
> that had
> > multiple bad sectors. A friend ghosted an image of the old drive
> contents
> > to a network card, and then when I got the new drive, put that
image
> on
> > same.
> >
> > So, let's say that some Windows ME file that makes it possible for
> these
> > definition files to be read/authenticated/installed has become
> corrupted.
> > Does anyone know which file that might be? If I could find out
maybe
> > could replace that file with an uncorrupted version...?
> >
> > The fact that I had a problem with the old Ad-ware and getting the
> new
> > defintion file, and uninstalled that, and am now having a problem
> getting
> > new definition files with the NEW Ad-aware, suggests th problem
does
> not
> > lie directly with that program, doens't it? On the plus side, I
can
> still
> > run Ada-ware, but just with the definitions file that it came
with.
> Can
> > still do a virus scan as well, but with last week's definitions.
But
> those
> > are becoming redundant I would say.
> >
> > Also, if I have to resort to it, what is a really, really, safe
site
> to do
> > an online virus scan? Thanks much.
> >
> > Marilyn B.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 1:42:12 AM

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, JAD wrote:

> did you install a download "enhancer" /manager?
> The bad sector therory could be the answer, you really should have had
> a BU done before the sector incident.

Re download enhancer...no, installed nothing like that. Dunno what one
even IS.

What's a "BU"?

MB
August 18, 2004 1:50:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
"Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1040817101505.29797C-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...

> Neither LiveUpdate or the new Ad-aware will install the new definitions.
> In NAV's case I'm getting the LU6004 error. In Ad-Aware's case am getting
> a msg. after download stating: "Downloaded Definitions File Could Not Be
> Read, Please try again."
>
> Regarding the NAV defs, I fllwd Symantec instructions to delete everything
> in the LiveUpdate/Downloads folder. Didn't help. Same error (failure to
> authenticate).
>
> I can't remember if I mentioned this here or not but this has all started
> since a new hard drive was installed last Friday, to replace one that had
> multiple bad sectors. A friend ghosted an image of the old drive contents
> to a network card, and then when I got the new drive, put that image on
> same.
>
> So, let's say that some Windows ME file that makes it possible for these
> definition files to be read/authenticated/installed has become corrupted.
> Does anyone know which file that might be? If I could find out maybe I
> could replace that file with an uncorrupted version...?
>
> The fact that I had a problem with the old Ad-ware and getting the new
> defintion file, and uninstalled that, and am now having a problem getting
> new definition files with the NEW Ad-aware, suggests th problem does not
> lie directly with that program, doens't it? On the plus side, I can still
> run Ada-ware, but just with the definitions file that it came with. Can
> still do a virus scan as well, but with last week's definitions. But those
> are becoming redundant I would say.
>
> Also, if I have to resort to it, what is a really, really, safe site to do
> an online virus scan? Thanks much.
>
> Marilyn B.

Anonymous
August 18, 2004 1:50:40 AM

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Don wrote:

> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Thanks :)  Will hold onto that URL.

MB
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 12:24:26 PM

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, JAD wrote:

> Back up 'BU' hind sight is always 20/20

Ahhh...OK...yes a back-up would've been good but I have no 'burner' type
drive of any kind to have, say, backed up onto a CD, or a zip drive, or
whatever. I WAS offered the loan of a zip drive when things started to go
really haywire but what's to say by that time, what would've been backed
up would've been corrupted if it was stored where there were bad sectors.
(And aren't you so right about the hindsight, LOL).

Marilyn B.
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 12:07:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Well, good news for once. With Symantec's release of today's new
definitions file, Liveupdate was able to download them and install
successfully. Gosh am I relieved! But WHAT was wrong with the file
released on Mon. that WOULDN'T install is what I would like to know. Oh
well. Hopefully that's the end of THAT bit of drama.

Now I wonder what Ad-aware might or might not do....

Marilyn B.
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 2:19:41 AM

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Marilyn E. Burford wrote:

> Well, good news for once. With Symantec's release of today's new
> definitions file, Liveupdate was able to download them and install
> successfully. Gosh am I relieved! But WHAT was wrong with the file
> released on Mon. that WOULDN'T install is what I would like to know. Oh
> well. Hopefully that's the end of THAT bit of drama.
>
> Now I wonder what Ad-aware might or might not do....

Well by cracky, Ad-aware has also done a perfect download and install of
those definitions that I've been trying to get all week as well. Wish I
knew what the heck's been going on all week that was screwing things up
with these two programs and their def download/installs. I wonder if the
fact that I'm on a dial-up connection played a role...

MB
!