[Crawl] crawl-4.1.1a is out!

Not every one is in the mailing list, so just to let you know:
crawl-4.1.1a is out!

Here are the changes (copy& paste from Brent Ross)
Changes include:

-- melee/throwing toned down a bit... low level monsters too

-- file name convention changed for those using uid/zipping
-- the delimiter between name and uid is now a dash so
character names can end with digits now (but not dashes)

-- Darshan's patch is in
-- added quick reference to the help screen
-- added Cutting Tool to the ) command (but only when applicable)
-- multipick:
-- made * always toggle everything (use , for old filter)
-- made ^C always clear everything (use - for old filter)
-- added the hotkeys to match ASCII books, staves, and missiles

-- rewrote the status flag code
-- Cut, Stun, Death's Door now appear on screen

-- reduced critical attack rates

-- but in some protection against the monster grid sync problem
-- still, compile with DEBUG_ITEM_SCAN and keep an eye out

-- but in some adjustments to magic resistance
-- power levels reduced to near 3.30 levels
-- problem may have been that b26 had some buggy calls and
bad beam structs that no longer occur, thus making
enchantments sometimes harder

-- some safty code that might protect against phantom
"Nothing appears to happen" messages.

-- cleaned up monster blink messages

-- added MT19937, it's currently the default

-- various changes to remove compiler warnings and problems as reported

-- added options:
-- colourful_corpses: monster corpse colour based on genus vs species
-- prompt_move_modifiers: adds prompts to the * / and : commands

(note that : is new in 4.1.0, it's "step without pickup")

-- monster wound status should be printed again

-- player's grid is correctly updated when using 'X'

-- reduced player poison damage a tad

-- fixed bug with ghost's spell templates
-- cleaned up some code and improved selection a bit too

-- fixed monster multiple attack bug
Unfortunately I've started an Ogre Berserker in b26 who got a randart
+4,+10 triple sword (+ extra damage!). I think it's quite understandable
that right now I don't want to stop playing this one... ;-)

Rubinstein

--
in dubio pro pecuniam et contra populum

Rubinstein wrote:

> -- but in some adjustments to magic resistance
> -- power levels reduced to near 3.30 levels
> -- problem may have been that b26 had some buggy calls and
> bad beam structs that no longer occur, thus making
> enchantments sometimes harder

speaking of beams (mildly OT) might I suggest that certain spells could
be able to accept (and hit) a (visible) target behind other targets.
these generally aren't imagined to "shoot" or "throw" something (e.g.
pain, though this might unbalance necromancers, behind ranks of undead)

jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com wrote:
> Rubinstein wrote:
>
> > -- but in some adjustments to magic resistance
> > -- power levels reduced to near 3.30 levels
> > -- problem may have been that b26 had some buggy calls and
> > bad beam structs that no longer occur, thus making
> > enchantments sometimes harder
>
> speaking of beams (mildly OT) might I suggest that certain spells could
> be able to accept (and hit) a (visible) target behind other targets.
> these generally aren't imagined to "shoot" or "throw" something (e.g.
> pain, though this might unbalance necromancers, behind ranks of undead)

IIRC, pain never misses;
skills could improve chance to hit the correct monster, while a "miss"
would hit other visible monsters, besides the one targeted.

Rubinstein wrote:
> Not every one is in the mailing list, so just to let you know:
> crawl-4.1.1a is out!
>
> Here are the changes (copy& paste from Brent Ross)

.... and "something that didn't made that list" (BR):

-- lowered failure rates on low level spells
-- fixed religion piety drain

Rubinstein
--

Once upon a time, jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com wrote thus:
> Rubinstein wrote:

>> -- but in some adjustments to magic resistance
>> -- power levels reduced to near 3.30 levels
>> -- problem may have been that b26 had some buggy calls and
>> bad beam structs that no longer occur, thus making
>> enchantments sometimes harder

> speaking of beams (mildly OT) might I suggest that certain spells could
> be able to accept (and hit) a (visible) target behind other targets.

Some spells can, such as smiting and air strike. Most monster attacks also
need a clear shot, so this is quite a big power boost for a spell. It would
probably be too good for any summoner's spell, much less a level 1 one.

--
kwaheri, Kieron (reverse username to reply)

Rubinstein wrote:
> Kieron Dunbar wrote:

> That's a misquoting. Whoever said this, it wasn't me.

It was Brent.

e.

Rubinstein wrote:
> Kieron Dunbar wrote:

> That's a misquoting. Whoever said this, it wasn't me.
>
> Rubinstein
> --
> in dubio pro pecuniam et contra populum

OIC;
reading more carefully, these were "cut& pasted from Brent" by
rubinstein

Rubinstein wrote:
> jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> > Rubinstein wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> Rubinstein
> >> --
> >> in dubio pro pecuniam et contra populum
>
> Please don't quote a signature unless there's some relation to the post
> or you just want to make a statement about it. (1)
>
> > OIC;
> > reading more carefully, these were "cut& pasted from Brent" by
> > rubinstein
>
> No problem.
>
> (1)
> [OT] If anyone wonders why: some people with decent newsreaders don't
> like to see signatures by default. They use filters to hide and toggle
> them on demand. This doesn't work with quoted or broken signatures.
> Broken => '--' instead of '-- ' (note the trailing blank) or more than 4
> lines (including blank lines). Also, imagine all signatures would remain
> in komplex nested multiquotings... horrible! ;-)
>
> Sorry for the brutal off-topic, but there are more and more people using
> google groups these days w/o having the time or patience to learn the
> basic newsnet rules. W/o this knowledge, google groups postings tend to
> produce a lot of noise. While in former times those rules were made in
> view of bandwidth and storage capacity (meanwhile obsolete), they are
> still valid when it comes to readability. And better readability is
> probably the last (but superior) advantage of newsnet vs forum, an
> advantage almost invisible for google group only posters, though...
> --
> Rubinstein

Hehe, Elethiomel, if you are reading this... *wink* *wink*
It's not really relevant to our little chat in another topic, but it
kind of echoes my concerns :).

Rubinstein: I pretty much agree with most of what you say, so don't
worry about it.

jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com wrote:

> Rubinstein wrote:
>> [...]
>> Rubinstein
>> --
>> in dubio pro pecuniam et contra populum

Please don't quote a signature unless there's some relation to the post
or you just want to make a statement about it. (1)

> OIC;
> reading more carefully, these were "cut& pasted from Brent" by
> rubinstein

No problem.

(1)
[OT] If anyone wonders why: some people with decent newsreaders don't
like to see signatures by default. They use filters to hide and toggle
them on demand. This doesn't work with quoted or broken signatures.
Broken => '--' instead of '-- ' (note the trailing blank) or more than 4
lines (including blank lines). Also, imagine all signatures would remain
in komplex nested multiquotings... horrible! ;-)

Sorry for the brutal off-topic, but there are more and more people using
google groups these days w/o having the time or patience to learn the
basic newsnet rules. W/o this knowledge, google groups postings tend to
produce a lot of noise. While in former times those rules were made in
view of bandwidth and storage capacity (meanwhile obsolete), they are
still valid when it comes to readability. And better readability is
probably the last (but superior) advantage of newsnet vs forum, an
advantage almost invisible for google group only posters, though...
--
Rubinstein
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quidquid latine dictum, altum videtur.
Ceterum censeo Microsoftem delendam esse.

bencillan@yahoo.com wrote:

> Rubinstein wrote:

[fullsnip a fullquote of what I said. W/o quoting anything specific it's
worthless]

> Hehe, Elethiomel, if you are reading this... *wink* *wink*
> It's not really relevant to our little chat in another topic, but it
> kind of echoes my concerns :).

To be honest, that makes me wonder. ;-)

> Rubinstein: I pretty much agree with most of what you say, so don't
> worry about it.

If you are under the impression I would more agree with you than with
Elethiomel, read my post in your little dialogue. You'll probably be
disappointed. The truth is, I don't fully agree with both of you, I'm
rather sitting inbetween. *g*
I'd like to see a friendly shakehands, in which case I fully agree in
advance. ;-)
--
Rubinstein
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Rubinstein" <picommander@t-online.de> wrote in message
> bencillan@yahoo.com wrote:
>> Rubinstein: I pretty much agree with most of what you say, so don't
>> worry about it.
>
> If you are under the impression I would more agree with you than with
> Elethiomel, read my post in your little dialogue. You'll probably be
> disappointed. The truth is, I don't fully agree with both of you, I'm
> rather sitting inbetween. *g*
> I'd like to see a friendly shakehands, in which case I fully agree in
> advance. ;-)

Ah, the sig-quoting has already been pointed out. Feel free to ignore
that part of my other, slightly earlier post.

And fence-sitting should be immoral ;).

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Glen Wheeler wrote:
> "Rubinstein" <picommander@t-online.de> wrote in message
>
>>bencillan@yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>>>Rubinstein: I pretty much agree with most of what you say, so don't
>>>worry about it.
>>
>> If you are under the impression I would more agree with you than
>> with Elethiomel, read my post in your little dialogue. You'll
>> probably be disappointed. The truth is, I don't fully agree with
>> both of you, I'm rather sitting inbetween. *g*
>> I'd like to see a friendly shakehands, in which case I fully agree
>> in advance. ;-)
>
> [...]
> And fence-sitting should be immoral ;).

If you are talking to yourself, why don't you use your mail account?

But if it was pointed to me (or what you quoted above), mind you
there's a subtil difference in fence-sitting and sitting between 2
flaming opponents. You're the one behind the fence, a position much
safer than the other (and probably closer to the fire extinguisher). ;-)
--
Rubinstein
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once upon a time, Rubinstein wrote thus:
> Kieron Dunbar wrote:

> That's a misquoting. Whoever said this, it wasn't me.

If you are the author of article <dco5ci$u9h$02$1@news.t-online.com>, you did
originally post the text above to this newsgroup. If you're merely disagreeing
with a decision about how much context should be quoted, please remember that
it is something for the individual poster to judge.

From my POV, the quoted text has the style of a changelog. As such, the
question of what it's a changelog for is more important than that of who wrote
it. If that's known, the author becomes obvious. If not, I can't draw many
inferences from it.

If anything I found the post I'm replying to more confusing, as I'd expect you
to make a quick attempt to find the original quote before expressing your
puzzlement.

I'm not bothered by any of this. I simply don't like problems which can be
"solved" by removing attributions from quotes.

--

Kieron Dunbar wrote:
> Once upon a time, Rubinstein wrote thus:
>> Kieron Dunbar wrote:

>> That's a misquoting. Whoever said this, it wasn't me.
>
> If you are the author of article <dco5ci$u9h$02$1@news.t-online.com>,
> you did originally post the text above to this newsgroup. If you're
> merely disagreeing with a decision about how much context should be
> quoted, please remember that it is something for the individual poster
> to judge.

Oh yes, now I see. Though I didn't write that I _was_ the poster.

> From my POV, the quoted text has the style of a changelog.

That's what it actually was: I just copy&paste (as I said in this post)
from crawl-dev to r.g.r.m., but didn't quote it. At this time I didn't
expect any comments to this post (my bad, rather shortsighted indeed)
and then - forgot about it. I'm really sorry for the confusion.
--
Rubinstein