Win 7 64 Bit Failure to boot from CD [SOLVED]

PvtRAGER

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I just bought new a 60gb SSD and Win 7 64 bit OEM (microsoft official) and when I try to boot the install disk with the SSD connected to the mobo I get a message at boot saying that it failed to boot from the CD and to insert the CD then try again. Needless to say when I reinsert the CD it still says this message.

When I connect my other new HD drive I bought (Western Gate 500GB) the CD boots up the Win 7 install and I can install the OS on that just fine, but that drive is intended to be my secondary and my SSD my primary for the OS.

I set it in my bios so that it boots from my DVD drive first and even disabled booting from the hard disk at all. My SSD shows up in the BIOS, but for whatever reason Win 7 install just WONT work when I have that SSD connected to the mobo.

The SSD is brand new, never been used before. I have no idea if I got a faulty SSD or I'm missing a step somewhere when installing a new OS onto a new SSD?

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

PvtRAGER

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Yeah there is a firmware update. I don't know how I would apply this update to the the ssd though when I can't even get the OS to install onto it.

This is my first time doing a fresh install on a new hard drive, I thought I knew what to expect but I guess not.

If I connect the SSD as a secondary and boot the Win 7 install, can I install Win 7 onto the SSD and after thats complete, I'll apply the firmware update to the SSD then switch out my current old hard drive for the SSD that I just installed Win7 and the firmware on and it will act as if I had set it up that way from the beginning?

zdbc13

Distinguished
Take your SSD to someone elses computer and do the firmware update. Just hook up the SSD inside their case as a secondary drive and download the software and run it. Then take it back to your rig and install windows...

Oh, I think I see what you mean above. Yes, install windows on your hard drive, then add the ssd and update the firmware. Then remove your hard drive, put the ssd on your 1st sata port, set your sata to ahci and install windows. Then you can put your hard drive back in, format it and you'll be good to go.

PvtRAGER

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Now my DVD drive doesn't want to read discs anymore..... I'm hoping thats been the issue this whole time. It kinda sucks that I had to buy a new one and now have to wait for it to come in the mail but at least its a simple fix once I get it. Fingers crossed.

PvtRAGER

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Yup, turns out it was the optical drive the whole time. I installed the new blu-ray drive and got my rig all setup now. Loving windows 7. Should have upgraded a long time ago.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help!