Where the heck do I plug these in?!

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
OK, I go to my local radio shack and they have a huge selection of cooling fans. I know I shouldn't plug them into my A7V133 cause the power will overload the mobo. I am supposed to plug them inot my power supply. I have a Sparkle 350W PS, and I know what fan plug-in sockets look like. But where the heck on the PS do I plug the fans in? Where the heck are the fan-in-sockets! I feel like such an idiot asking.

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"

G

Well, I've only seen fans come with two types of connectors. So if you're talking about fans with the little 3 pin fan connectors, then yes you should plug them into the MB. That's what the fan connectors are there for. (I've got two 80mm fans plugged into my A7V133 right now and everything is happy.) The other type of fan has the same kind of plug as a hard drive and those go on your spare PS plugs. Some even work as pass throughs so you can plug the hard drive into the fan and on into the PSU.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Pretty sure the A7V has a "bunch" of 3 pin connectors on the board. I'd go for that. 350W is plenty...

<font color=red>This is a forum, not a chat room. You aren't going to find a date here.</font color=red>

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
I know my PS is adequate. You are missing the point though. It is not good to have all four fan connectors on the A7V133 being used because it causes to much power to flow through the board. Instead, you are supposed to plug them directly into the PS, therefor the extra power never flows through the mobo. But where are the 4-pin fan connectors on the PS!!!!!!!!!

dhlucke

Polypheme
Ah...I hear ya. They are the same as the one for your hard drive and cd-rom. If you don't have enough then you can go and buy a Y-adapter...

<font color=red>This is a forum, not a chat room. You aren't going to find a date here.</font color=red>

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Damnit! Where the hell are the fan inputs physically! Inside the PS? Under a bay somewhere?! I'm going nuts!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
you have to buy a special cable silly. it has a normal ATX pwoer cable (the kind for hard drives and stuf,f) you plug it in and it has wires coming out where you plug your 3 pin connector to

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
It has to go into a 4-pin connector gosh darnit! Isn't there already 4-pin connectors <b>on</b> the PS!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
then just plug the damn thing into a power connector for your hard drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The motherboard is designed for the same number of fans as it has fan headers. Fans are just about the only devices that draw 12 volt power at the motherboard so they don't interfere with anything else. Don't worry when using typical case cooling fans. The fan headers on my KT7 are good up to 0.5 amps each. A typical case fan draws like 0.2 amps.

CPU fans are another story. Some of these must be connected directly to the power supply.

dhlucke

Polypheme
You're making this too complicated. Odds are that the fan will have a Y connector built in so you can just go with that.

There are only 2 options that I know of
1) 3 pin on motherboard
2) 4 pin using Powersupply. No special voodoo needed, uses same as harddrive for example. Don't open up the powersupply

mousepotato

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2001
Tempus, you OK, man? It looked like you were getting a little excited there. Did you pass out from frustration, or did you figure it out?

Summary:

If you don't have an extra 4-pin connector, go out and buy a Y-adapter. Disconnect HD, CD-ROM, or other. Attach Y-adapter. Reconnect device. Connect fan. Breathe deep, siiigghhhh.

p.s. Check fan, it may already have Y-adapter on it.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The motherboard is designed for the same number of fans as it has fan headers. Fans are just about the only devices that draw 12 volt power at the motherboard so they don't interfere with anything else.
:smile:

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s

G

If you mean the small 4-pin connectors like on the MB, NO they are NOT on the PS. Without adapters, only the big fat HD connectors come out of the PS. BTW, why do think it's so bad to put the fans on the MB? I've never seen anyone complain about it causing problems.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Check your mobo manual or with the manufacturer for specs on your mobo's fan headers. Then look at the Delta and see how much current it requires.

Offhand, I'd say you want to connect that fan directly to the power supply.

Read my other post.

G

I know of a guy who uses a Delta 7k (i am getting one soon) and he uses it with the mobo connector, and it works fine, don't worry about it Wusy...

<b><font color=blue>Note to self: Never buy <i>anything</i> without checking with <font color=red>Tom</font color=red> first...

G

(this isn't directed at phsstpok, but rather the starter of the post... i was just too lazy to scroll up... eh)

Ignorance annoys me..

I think it was purely stated what you had to do... All you bloody need is to plug it into the mobo. i got the a7v and it works fine with all the fan plugs filled... i got 4 plugs right, F-Fan, CPU FAN, PWR Fan, and Chas Fan... and they're all filled... it's FINE

<b><font color=blue>Note to self: Never buy <i>anything</i> without checking with <font color=red>Tom</font color=red> first...

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
If you are using a fan that needs an external Power Source then you don't need a motherboard monitor to tell you the RPM - you'll hear it.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

I've read about the fan headers burning out on the mobo when using 7000rpm fans, possibly due to marginal parts?

And also directed at the poster. I haven't seen a dedicated socket coming out of the PS just for the fan. You just use one of the power connetors for the HD/FDD .... If you want to plug your fan directly into the PS and your plug doesn't match, you'll need to make one. I took a 12v fan I scrapped out another pc, cut the connector off, stripped the wire ends, soldered the wire ends and push them through the back of the connector into the yellow and black leads. Probably not the best thing to do but it works and now I have a nice big fan keeping my whopping p133@133 nice and cool.....

"Yesterday's solutions are Today's problems...."

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You can still run the sensor lead to the correct pin on the fan header. I don't know if ground has to be connected.

Imagine this is the fan header.
___
ABC

The pin at A is the sensor receiver. B is +12 volts. C is ground. (I used A,B, and C because I don't know the correct numbering, 123 or 321 but the orientation above is correct).

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'm starting to get worried. Tempus hasn't responded since that dreadfull day of trying to figure out the fan.

I hope he's allright...

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Whats the diffrence between a delta fan and a normal one?

Is it just the delta has a higher cfm? noise? rpm? or is their anything special about it like it ionises the air and shoots it across... ...I'm getting a bit carried away.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>