Overclocking a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarnendu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Hello, I want to overclock my lenovo ideapad y560 laptop. i want to overclock its gpu, i want its ram to run at 1333 mhz. This has 4GB DDR3 1333 dual channel RAM but it runs at 1066 mhz as core i5 supports 1066 mhz max. I cannot overclock using ati tool, it's showing abnormal clock speeds and the sliders cannot be moved up they can only be moved down.

unless you can get into the BIOS to change settings you cant OC your laptop. (For RAM and Processor). You could try Memset to change the memory speed but I dont know if it will work.

Again overclocking a laptop as a bad idea the cooling system was designed to cool it at stock speeds, not at overclocked speeds. Personally I decrease my CPU's voltage to lower heat output.

If Memset doesnt work than you are pretty much out of luck, and honestly the difference between 1066 and 1333 and almost nothing considering 1333 will have to run at looser timings.

You might want to read through this.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-870-1156,2482-9.html

D

Deleted member 362816

If you still have a warranty dont do it. If you over-clock it then it dies and you can not change it back to normal settings they will not replace/fix it. VOID warranty

Swarnendu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

what, why can i not change it back to normal settings? if i increase the clock speeds i will not be able to change it back to normal?
and how will they know if i have overclocked? pls tell me..

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
If you burn out your laptop while overclocking it, you are not going to be able to fire up the BIOS and change the settings back to normal - your laptop will be unavailable (dead). However, the tech guys will be able to open up your laptop, scan the BIOS with specialized tools and find out that you've been messing around with clock speeds - you lose, your warranty is void and you destroyed your laptop in the process. Do not overclock a laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.