Is there a Dungeon Crawl forum?

Last response: in Video Games
August 7, 2005 9:16:51 PM

Hello,

Is there an online forum dedicated to Dungeon Crawl or is
alt.games.roguelike.misc the place to be?

I'm a loooong-time Rogue-like player... I can remmber playing Rogue on
an IBM PC Jr. in 1990! Nethack is still my favorite, but since getting
to DLvl 8 with a character with 60 H.P.'s and a +8,+4 Flail, I am
definitely interested in Dungeon Crawl.

But, I'm still a newbie and have a million questions...

Can you sell things at shops?

Is the end game as difficult as Nethack? I've sure been dying early in
Crawl, but I'm starting to get my legs.

Do ghosts (bones) leave piles of stuff?

What are some powerful race/class combinations that you can suggest? I
am starting out in the fighter classes to try and hack and slash my way
down.

What happens after level 8 or 10? Should I be looking for secret
things? I keep seeing stuff about the "orc level" and "the swamp"
etc...

Thanks!

More about : dungeon crawl forum

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 11:37:41 PM

> Clearing a place in one go is not always wise.

Completely true in the Elven Halls. The last level is a VERY large step
up in difficult from the others, as there are LOTS of summoners and
high priests, usually capable of summoning a "1" type demon -like a
executioner- and smiting away half your HP in one go.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 5:12:07 AM

On 7 Aug 2005 17:16:51 -0700, "Graylight" wrote:

>Is there an online forum dedicated to Dungeon Crawl or is
>alt.games.roguelike.misc the place to be?

There are a couple, but we have the most people here (that I know of),
this is easy enough to access, so I think it's best to just stay here.

>Can you sell things at shops?

Nooope. It would encourage boring gameplay by dragging everything to
the shops.

>Is the end game as difficult as Nethack? I've sure been dying early in
>Crawl, but I'm starting to get my legs.

The end game is actually easy, at least for a fighter.
It should be easy enough for mages if you spread your skills a bit,
after you feel powerful, because of resistances. Poison magic and
slings won't get you through the game alone.
After you get to around 14, you have some chances to die, but by 20
you are quite invulnerable. The 8-12 phase is the big thing. You need
to have consistent offensive power there.

>Do ghosts (bones) leave piles of stuff?

Nope, but they give good experience, if you have a way to deal with
them.

>What are some powerful race/class combinations that you can suggest? I
>am starting out in the fighter classes to try and hack and slash my way
>down.

Fighters are easy. Minotaur monks and fighters are good throughout the
game.
Troll fighters and spriggan stalkers and venom mages are good for the
first 10 to 12 levels, but get more difficult later because of the
armour restrictions and poison running out of style.
Sludge elves and ogre-mages are the buffest spellcasters, and I like
those. I haven't won a spellcaster yet, but had a good O-M earth
elementalist and all sorts of sludge-elves.

>What happens after level 8 or 10? Should I be looking for secret
>things? I keep seeing stuff about the "orc level" and "the swamp"
>etc...

Always look for the temple to choose your religion. The orcish mines
and the lair will be there as you go on, orcish place being nastier
for its depth. Prepare to face 4-5 of various orcs when you enter. You
will have to try the new places out and get a feel for when you are
ready to enter, and go deeper. Clearing a place in one go is not
always wise.
August 8, 2005 2:34:52 PM

Ok! rec.games.roguelike.misc is the place to be, then! Thanks so much
for your replies.

On another note... I can't seem to get Crawl to run on OSX 10.3

"dyld: ./crawl can't open library: /sw/lib/libncurses.dylib.5 (No such
file or directory, errno = 2)
Trace/BPT trap"

A search of these forums resulted in someone linking to
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/ncu rses/ , but I couldn't find the library.
Any help on this?

Lauri Vallo wrote:
> On 7 Aug 2005 17:16:51 -0700, "Graylight" wrote:
>
> >Is there an online forum dedicated to Dungeon Crawl or is
> >alt.games.roguelike.misc the place to be?
>
> There are a couple, but we have the most people here (that I know of),
> this is easy enough to access, so I think it's best to just stay here.
>
> >Can you sell things at shops?
>
> Nooope. It would encourage boring gameplay by dragging everything to
> the shops.
>
> >Is the end game as difficult as Nethack? I've sure been dying early in
> >Crawl, but I'm starting to get my legs.
>
> The end game is actually easy, at least for a fighter.
> It should be easy enough for mages if you spread your skills a bit,
> after you feel powerful, because of resistances. Poison magic and
> slings won't get you through the game alone.
> After you get to around 14, you have some chances to die, but by 20
> you are quite invulnerable. The 8-12 phase is the big thing. You need
> to have consistent offensive power there.
>
> >Do ghosts (bones) leave piles of stuff?
>
> Nope, but they give good experience, if you have a way to deal with
> them.
>
> >What are some powerful race/class combinations that you can suggest? I
> >am starting out in the fighter classes to try and hack and slash my way
> >down.
>
> Fighters are easy. Minotaur monks and fighters are good throughout the
> game.
> Troll fighters and spriggan stalkers and venom mages are good for the
> first 10 to 12 levels, but get more difficult later because of the
> armour restrictions and poison running out of style.
> Sludge elves and ogre-mages are the buffest spellcasters, and I like
> those. I haven't won a spellcaster yet, but had a good O-M earth
> elementalist and all sorts of sludge-elves.
>
> >What happens after level 8 or 10? Should I be looking for secret
> >things? I keep seeing stuff about the "orc level" and "the swamp"
> >etc...
>
> Always look for the temple to choose your religion. The orcish mines
> and the lair will be there as you go on, orcish place being nastier
> for its depth. Prepare to face 4-5 of various orcs when you enter. You
> will have to try the new places out and get a feel for when you are
> ready to enter, and go deeper. Clearing a place in one go is not
> always wise.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:34:35 AM

Graylight wrote:

> On another note... I can't seem to get Crawl to run on OSX 10.3
>
> "dyld: ./crawl can't open library: /sw/lib/libncurses.dylib.5 (No such
> file or directory, errno = 2)
> Trace/BPT trap"

I haven't installed Crawl yet on OSX, but the above lib is
installed on my system. Everything under /sw/ path is
typically something which is installed by fink packagemangement
system:

$ dpkg -S libncurses.dylib.5
ncurses-shlibs: /sw/lib/libncurses.dylib.5
$ fink describe ncurses-shlibs
Information about 2060 packages read in 2 seconds.

ncurses-shlibs-5.3-20031018-2: Shared libraries for ncurses package
.
Web site: http://www.gnu.org/software/ncurses/ncurses.html
.
Maintainer: Fink Core Group <fink-core@lists.sourceforge.net>

If you haven't installed fink yet, i can recommend it. It doesn't
touch anything on your system besides /sw/* path, and installing
software with it is very simple.

For the above lib, entering "fink install ncurses-shlibs" in
terminal should be enough.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 4:39:36 PM

In <d62e4$42fa64db$3eb2642c$15723@news.chello.at> lucidity wrote:
> Graylight wrote:
>>
>> On another note... I can't seem to get Crawl to run on OSX 10.3
>>
>> "dyld: ./crawl can't open library: /sw/lib/libncurses.dylib.5 (No
>> such file or directory, errno = 2) Trace/BPT trap"
>
> For the above lib, entering "fink install ncurses-shlibs" in
> terminal should be enough.

Or if you don't want to use fink, you can download ncurses from macosx.
forked.net:

http://macosx.forked.net/download.php?j=http://macosx.f...
ncurses-5.2.pkg.tgz

That gives you a package that will install itself in the correct place.
That's what I did back in May 2004, according to Google Groups. :)
Someone should add a link to ncurses to the OS X Crawl download.

--
Johan
!