G

It doesn't take long for a pile of crap to show up here these days. I responded to this post from a few days back since it wasn't filled with (explitive deleted). This might be boring or unsatisfying to the flamesters that are posting here. Still, I decided to give this message new life. I mean, really. We are consuming PC parts in a rare and wonderful time.. read on.

The life expectancy of a processor is an irrelevant number for the simple reason that technological advancement renders them obsolete before they die. That includes overclocked systems (which begs the question.. Why the hell not ?)

This is even more true today, as the rate of change in processor (and system) performance has become a STEEP curve ! YeeHaw !!

The awesome result of this steeper curve is the availability of remarkably fast processors.. CHEAP !

Now, many of these crusty old THG members will remember tragically slow processors of ye' olde tymes .. even 33MHz seemed fast for some of us at the time. Remember those VESA local bus graphics cards ?? oooo, they were cool.

So, maybe I'm easily pleased. Still, I must say that I can't wait for the reality of 266MHz DDR memory systems to compete with RDRAM based systems to force the price of even higher performance systems down to my Happy price zone.

The other consequence of all of these LOW prices is the luxury of being able to choose moderately priced hardware to go fast with STABILTY, and the simplicity of BROAD-BASED COMPATIBILITY. After all, speed is only satisfying if you get there.

So, who's complaining ??

G

YES - I have been working (and playing) with computers since 1966 and this is a GREAT time to experience the rapid advances... and when hybrid digital/quantum computers arrive we will see a revolution in AI implementations .. fantastic!!!

G

yea

just keep getting faster and faster
cheaper and cheaper

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

dhlucke

Polypheme
I still have my old 8 Mhz Mac Plus at my parents place. I turned it on a couple years back and it still worked, but I typed faster than it could process data...same thing goes with my 25 MHz machine...

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

dhlucke

Polypheme
I have a friend who turned his into an aquarium. Looks cool, but I think I'll save all my machines for my kids to gawk at :)

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso