dhlucke

Polypheme
I'm sure we've all speculated the evolution of where the CPU will end up next. It's in computers and cars and I've seen some very advanced washing machines, but where do you see this going?

I see complete homes networked to the alarm system and sprinkler system as well as the stereo and home appliances, but I wonder when?

I think it will be really neat when you can just have a touch screen on the front of your refridgerator that you can set up your automated grocery delivery on. Or have the dishwasher set up to go on automatically to conserve electricity.

Right now I could just run some good Monster S-video to my stereo system to create an awesome mp3 jukebox (since my stereo is awesome), but I'm too lazy.

Thoughts??

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

G

The only thing I would like is a microchip to be surgically implanted in pets. That way you could track them via GPS, etc if they are lost. I bet this will first be marketed to pet owners, then parents, for their kids (to protect against children getting lost, missing etc).

I'd like a gps chip for my car keys, not to mention my car for that matter, although you can already get them for electronic road map systems.

dhlucke

Polypheme
They have that already. You can get it done for $100 I think. It's not so much GPS as it is for the Humane Society to be able to scan the chip and return the pet to you.

Putting it in kids is debatable, but I think it is appropriate maybe for children under 12.

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
You can get anti theft (or rather theft prevention) tracker units for cars that can be activated and pinpointed to the nearest X. Also some delivery companies and road warrior firms use them to measure delivery activity and productivity.

In Japan you can get a watch with GPS tracker - you can dial a service and it will tell you (after authorisation) where the wearer is. Scary thought.

Chipping kids is one thing, but what about when they are adults? Do you remove it, or does it become so accepted that it is left, or develops into a bio interface or appendage - used for computer interaction (kinda like wired thought control) and communication.

I was thinking this - in StarTrek you talk to the computer, it get's the point - and talks back or does whatever you asked. How do you get there? You cannot use that technology for an office full of traders, or secretaries or sales people - they should around or have background conversations that would confuse the heck out of the voice recognition system. Anyway.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
This Guy at my workplace has his house wired (in a sense). He has lots of UTP cabeling under the floor boards, A hub here and there. I think he's got some of the switches in the house also wired up to the system. But I dont think he's connected any of that to the internet.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I beleive it is just put slightly under the skin so removal wouldn't be a problem. But the social consequences of keeping it would be too great. Imagine AOL or another large company tracking your every move and sending you spam and snailmail based on where you walk and breathe......everything is capitalized on when it comes to people so we have to watch out.

Restraining orders would be easy to monitor though...

Pablo Picasso