Sign in with
Your question

Endless Reboots

Last response: in Windows 7
January 12, 2013 7:29:14 PM

this system began to shut off on its own (BSoD). Suspected dirty, so cleaned inside, replaced thermal paste. Booted, ran for 20 or so minutes, then powered off normally (on its own I did not power off). Now reboots to just after posts screen, the reboots. Does this 3 or 4 times, then powers all the way off, then back on (on its own; not set this way in bios), and repeats over and over.
AMD AM2 cpu, 650 watts ps, SG 320 gig hard drive, 4 gigs memory (bought to mb specs), two dvd drives, using on-board video. Whileitran the first 20minutes cor temp program rebooted normail temp although I am not syre how accurate this is. CPU fan is running. Will try without 2 dvd drives.
Janelle Wolves

More about : endless reboots

January 12, 2013 7:35:32 PM

windows 7 x 64bit gigabyte mb GA-MA74GM-S2
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2013 7:38:36 PM

These posts show up in google searches so you should never post your email. Edit your post and remove it unless you want spam.

The computer worked fine then just started the reboot loop? Probably a failing power supply. What is the make and model of your current PSU?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2013 7:42:57 PM

I would download, burn to CD, and then boot from the free Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 and do a complete virus scan. This will both test the hardware to a point and also scan for Shutdowner, a bit of malware.
m
l
January 12, 2013 7:58:16 PM

266264,1,393379 said:
this system began to shut off on its own (BSoD). Suspected dirty, so cleaned inside, replaced thermal paste. Booted, ran for 20 or so minutes, then powered off normally (on its own I did not power off). Now reboots to just after posts screen, the reboots. Does this 3 or 4 times, then powers all the way off, then back on (on its own; not set this way in bios), and repeats over and over.
AMD AM2 cpu, 650 watts ps, SG 320 gig hard drive, 4 gigs memory (bought to mb specs), two dvd drives, using on-board video. Whileitran the first 20minutes cor temp program rebooted normail temp although I am not syre how accurate this is. CPU fan is running. Will try without 2 dvd drives.
Janelle Wolves

Sounds like you have malware on your computer

Trying running the computer in safe mode
By pressing F8 on the keyboard, when you turn on the computer
DONT TRY TO GO IN SAFE MODE AND ACCESS THE INTERNET YOU WONT BE ABLE TO

Install Malware byte on a usb flash drive {Full Scan}
Ones that done
Going to ask you to restart the computer
Go and restart
Then scan again
Why?
Cause sometimes it doesn't remove all
Go to command prompt type in msconfig
Msconfig > Start Up >
that is when you start the computer thing already running you dont need any of it.

Install CCleaner
And it remove the history, temps, cookies, download, Etc
Make your computer faster & Safer

If this doesn't work write back please.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2013 8:19:31 PM

I have never seen malware cause a reboot loop. Bad RAM or a failing PSU or motherboard yes. Malware no.

Since RAM usually fails very quickly or runs forever that narrows it down to the PSU or motherboard.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2013 8:48:34 PM

anort3 said:
I have never seen malware cause a reboot loop. Bad RAM or a failing PSU or motherboard yes. Malware no.

Since RAM usually fails very quickly or runs forever that narrows it down to the PSU or motherboard.
I have seen a malware reboot issue three or four times, each time it was a variant of the same trojan. Google shutdowner trojan. It can cause a continuous reboot sequence, as it did in each of the cases that I was called for and it was fairly easily removed using Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 on each occasion.

Not saying that it is not hardware, just that I would first rule out the trojan and then move on to the hardware.
m
l
January 12, 2013 11:09:01 PM

I would have done that if it even could get to windows. Anyway, at this point, it reboots, even powers off/on, it doesn't stay on long enough to get far into the bios. I tried an old PSU, not enough jiuce in that one to keep it there, but enough to see, what ever it is, is down to MB, CPU, Mem, cause evenything was out of the picture. It first got into windows, ran about 20-25 mindows, the properly shut down, althoughI did not do it. Now, having put new thermal compound, and will shortly try it again with the original PSU since that runs longer than the old one. We will see. I did desktop support for over ten years, and have been building my own for 18 years now. This one is cammo in the front, an XQpack box, mine is noty the pc with the hiccups, it is one i built for someone else.

cmstormscouts said:
Sounds like you have malware on your computer

Trying running the computer in safe mode
By pressing F8 on the keyboard, when you turn on the computer
DONT TRY TO GO IN SAFE MODE AND ACCESS THE INTERNET YOU WONT BE ABLE TO

Install Malware byte on a usb flash drive {Full Scan}
Ones that done
Going to ask you to restart the computer
Go and restart
Then scan again
Why?
Cause sometimes it doesn't remove all
Go to command prompt type in msconfig
Msconfig > Start Up >
that is when you start the computer thing already running you dont need any of it.

Install CCleaner
And it remove the history, temps, cookies, download, Etc
Make your computer faster & Safer

If this doesn't work write back please.

m
l
January 13, 2013 2:31:00 AM

anort3 said:

Bad ram will not give you a picture or will not even post

Malware is common
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 13, 2013 12:34:52 PM

cmstormscouts said:
Bad ram will not give you a picture or will not even post
Not true, almost every stick of RAM that I've RMA'd the last 10 years, probably around 35-40 sticks, was still running in its machine and causing random shutdowns and was discovered with memtest86. Only a few sticks over that time were so bad that the machines would not even post.
m
l
!