Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Boot
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
  • Product
Last response: in Windows 7
January 12, 2013 8:01:10 PM

I have a Sony Viao VPCEB32FM Laptop that he dropped the other day and there is no physical damage to it like the screen being cracked or anything of that nature but when you turn it on it flashes the Vaio logo then goes to a black screen that says “Operating System Not Found”. I googled the problem and my instincts were correct it was a damaged hard drive there is even a Youtube video as the first link when you Google it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j413F0Ds8_s and it shows his laptop go figure. I tried their solution of reconnecting the hard drive but it didn’t work. When I enter the Bios by pressing F2 at startup it even list no hard drive. The issue I am facing is that even though the Bios list the startup order as CD, Hard Drive, External, it will not boot any disc so I can’t use any tools to repair, reformat, and get a larger picture of what is going on. I’ve tried every combination of F1-12, Del, ESC you name it to boot from CD but his laptop does not seem to have that feature like mine when you press F9 you can choose which item you want to boot from regardless the order in the BIOS.

I know the HD needs to be replaced and if needed I can get a cable to try and resuce the data but the more important question is how do I know the hard drive is the only problem before buying a new one online for $65.00? I don’t want to go spend $65.00 an find out that it is more than just that. I am pretty sure it is not the motherboard since the BIOS loads and displays info but I could be wrong. It just seems weird and funny it wont boot any disc.

So what should I do to find out if it is just the HD that needs to be replaced. As noted I can’t get it to boot any Cd’s even though that is listed first in the BIOS and there seems to be no shortcut F1-12, DEL, ESC to bypass and choose the boot during startup like on my laptop.

Please advise when you get a chance we would really appreciate it.

More about : operating system found hard drive damage boot disc

a c 308 $ Windows 7
a b D Laptop
January 12, 2013 8:28:28 PM

Insure that the laptop battery is connected securely, as it may have been jarred in the drop.

F2 is the correct key on that Vaio to alter the boot order, or F11 to enter the bios. If those do not function there may be a lot more wrong than just the hard drive.
m
l
January 12, 2013 8:55:48 PM

F2 is to enter the BIOS. Which Battery? The normal Laptop battery or internal?
m
l
Related resources
a c 308 $ Windows 7
a b D Laptop
January 12, 2013 8:57:30 PM

The internal big laptop battery that should be in its own compartment on the underside.
m
l
January 13, 2013 7:49:51 PM

RealBeast said:
The internal big laptop battery that should be in its own compartment on the underside.

Computer is plugged in and battery seems charged.
m
l
a c 308 $ Windows 7
a b D Laptop
January 13, 2013 8:51:54 PM

Then I would think that there is damage to a key component, motherboard or one of the solder points to something.
m
l
January 25, 2013 1:30:55 AM

Still don't know what to do about this. Do I replace the hard drive and hope that is all that is wrong or do I have a way of finding out what is wrong?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 1:40:44 AM

cmczona said:
I have a Sony Viao VPCEB32FM Laptop that he dropped the other day and there is no physical damage to it like the screen being cracked or anything of that nature but when you turn it on it flashes the Vaio logo then goes to a black screen that says “Operating System Not Found”. I googled the problem and my instincts were correct it was a damaged hard drive there is even a Youtube video as the first link when you Google it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j413F0Ds8_s and it shows his laptop go figure. I tried their solution of reconnecting the hard drive but it didn’t work. When I enter the Bios by pressing F2 at startup it even list no hard drive. The issue I am facing is that even though the Bios list the startup order as CD, Hard Drive, External, it will not boot any disc so I can’t use any tools to repair, reformat, and get a larger picture of what is going on. I’ve tried every combination of F1-12, Del, ESC you name it to boot from CD but his laptop does not seem to have that feature like mine when you press F9 you can choose which item you want to boot from regardless the order in the BIOS.

I know the HD needs to be replaced and if needed I can get a cable to try and resuce the data but the more important question is how do I know the hard drive is the only problem before buying a new one online for $65.00? I don’t want to go spend $65.00 an find out that it is more than just that. I am pretty sure it is not the motherboard since the BIOS loads and displays info but I could be wrong. It just seems weird and funny it wont boot any disc.

So what should I do to find out if it is just the HD that needs to be replaced. As noted I can’t get it to boot any Cd’s even though that is listed first in the BIOS and there seems to be no shortcut F1-12, DEL, ESC to bypass and choose the boot during startup like on my laptop.

Please advise when you get a chance we would really appreciate it.

You can get a cheap 2.5" laptop drive enclosure for fairly cheap. A popular one can be found HERE .

As for other signs of damage in the computer after a drop, it's going to be hard to gauge. With it having multiple issues, not being able to boot to the CD, and not just giving you the "Operating System Not Found" error to agree with RealBeast in that something got knocked loose.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 1:45:44 AM

cmczona said:
Still don't know what to do about this. Do I replace the hard drive and hope that is all that is wrong or do I have a way of finding out what is wrong?

Sony usually couples a form of on-board diagnostics on their PCs. I'm double checking now to see if that's the case with this particular model and see if we can use that.

EDIT:

Sony does indeed have Sony Hardware Diagnostics software available but you have to get into Windows to use it.
January 25, 2013 1:50:07 AM

wow thanks, I appreciate any help.
m
l
February 1, 2013 1:55:58 AM

Best answer selected by cmczona.
m
l