mason4

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2001
How do you know if a CPU is failing.We have a PIII 1 GHZ running windows 98. Can a windows CD go bad and give you bad installs? We had ours get hot last week at about 53 C. and ever sense we have been getting lots of illegal opps and explorer errors. We have to restart to get things back to normal.We have formatted twice and was better for a little while but back to same problem. Do you think the cpu is bad? Thanks For your help. Dave

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mason4 on 03/28/01 02:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

i don't think so

53 isnt that hot...

and what windows are you using?
Did you recently install some new app?
If you did it could be conflicting with windows

All versions of windows have there problem, yes <b> even WINDOWS 2000! </b>

But sometimes like even me once i had it bad in windows 98 right.. well i formatted, reinstalled 4 x the 5th was the good install
sometimes it happens.
but i mean 53 isnt that hot..
I don't think thats your problem
My duron when my power supply died the inside case got VERY hot and my duron was at 56 and its A-ok

Maybe try a new version of windows
I find ME great.. but others dispise and hate it.
Choose one which works well for you
2000 is quick and stable but you need a 1/2 assed system to run it well.

Is your hard drive partitioned?

Good luck

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>My duron when my power supply died the inside case got VERY hot and my duron was at 56 and its A-ok

how is this possible, self pwr'd cpu? do you mean that the fan died?

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

G

yes

the power supply fan stopped completely

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A. maybe 53C is too much for that specific cpu
B. that temperature is on the censor , at _MAY_ be different than real CPU heat.
C. It could be something else - memory for example, or some software that you installed each time after you formated.

Beer! Good!
-James Hatefild

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You might want to try to UNDERCLOCK if you can, and see if the problem disappears. The P3 is pushing the envelope to run at 1ghz, your chip may not be able to handle it.

Can you increase the core voltage?