wireless laptop cannot access internet through mn 700

boe

Ok, here is the issue im having. I have 3 computers
hooked up to my router (2 desktops hard-wired and one
laptop wireless) The laptop can ping the router and the
other desktops and the desktops can ping the router and
laptop, so i know that it is on the network, i can even
see the laptop on hte management tool. I am able to log
onto the router through the wireless laptop. But somehow
I am unable to get this laptop out onto the internet
through the router. Both desktops are able to get out to
the internet fine with no problem at all. I have hte
router and wireless nic set to channel 6, i verified that
the ip address, subnet, gateway, dns are all correct
(they are). I have the laptop within 3 feet of the
router and still am unable to access the 'net. If anyone
has other options for me to try or needs some more info,
please let me know and i will get it for you or try it
out. Thanks a lot to everyone that chips in their 2
cents.

Try going to the Command Prompt and typing in "ipconfig" without the quotes.
If it returns a 169.x.x.x address, you're not receiving the DHCP feed from
the router to automatically include the machine on the LAN and therefore get
the ISP settings of the router. Try doing "ipconfig /release" without the
quotes, followed by "ipconfig /renew." If this doesn't give you a
192.168.2.x address within your LAN (or whatever you may have set the base
station for you setup), you may need to reset the TCP/IP configuration.
This Knowledge Base article should help you on that count:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Boe" <boeprox@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, here is the issue im having. I have 3 computers
> hooked up to my router (2 desktops hard-wired and one
> laptop wireless) The laptop can ping the router and the
> other desktops and the desktops can ping the router and
> laptop, so i know that it is on the network, i can even
> see the laptop on hte management tool. I am able to log
> onto the router through the wireless laptop. But somehow
> I am unable to get this laptop out onto the internet
> through the router. Both desktops are able to get out to
> the internet fine with no problem at all. I have hte
> router and wireless nic set to channel 6, i verified that
> the ip address, subnet, gateway, dns are all correct
> (they are). I have the laptop within 3 feet of the
> router and still am unable to access the 'net. If anyone
> has other options for me to try or needs some more info,
> please let me know and i will get it for you or try it
> out. Thanks a lot to everyone that chips in their 2
> cents.

boe

Ok, I checked the IP settings and they match up to the
router. IP: 192.168.2.21, GW:192.168.2.1
Subnet:255.255.255.0
the connection specific DNS suffix is: om.cox.net, which
matches what the other machines have. I did a release
and renew as well and am still having the same issues.
To add some more info to this, the laptop is running
windows XP and the wireless nic is a Netgear MA521
802.11b. I checked the management tool and there is not
any MAC Filtering set up as well. Still unsure of what
else to try for this.

Boe

boe

I also tried to connect through a CAT5 to the NIC as
well, and am still experiencing the same issues as i was
with the wireless NIC.

I'd suggest since everything else seems to be okay, you check with Netgear
support. I don't run that hardware here, so don't know if they've got
specific drivers or software you may need to update.
--

> Ok, I checked the IP settings and they match up to the
> router. IP: 192.168.2.21, GW:192.168.2.1
> Subnet:255.255.255.0
> the connection specific DNS suffix is: om.cox.net, which
> matches what the other machines have. I did a release
> and renew as well and am still having the same issues.
> To add some more info to this, the laptop is running
> windows XP and the wireless nic is a Netgear MA521
> 802.11b. I checked the management tool and there is not
> any MAC Filtering set up as well. Still unsure of what
> else to try for this.
>
> Boe

Roger that, thanks for your help and information with
this Chris. Ill see what the folks at Netgear have to
say about this.

Good luck with the issue.