-Crawl- YASD: Killed by my own ghost

Ok so I have lurked for over a year and died MANY times, but I think I
have finally understood the basics of Crawl. This character got the
farthest down and the farthest in Character Level than any other for a
long time so searching the newsgroups does help :)

How do you kill ghosts? I have been killed by my own ghost two times
in a row. Below is my morgue.txt file. :) This is the first time I
have ever posted a file so forgive me if I don't post it correctly :)

Thanks for any advice.
Will

=================================
Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

w the Stabber

Race : Hill Dwarf Res.Fire : + . . See Invis. : .
Class : Fighter Res.Cold : + . . Warding : .
Worship : Okawaru Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
Level : 7 Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
Exp : 985 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
Next Level : 1312
Exp Needed : 327 Sust.Abil.: + Rnd.Telep. : .
Spls.Left : 6 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: .
Gold : 16 Res.Slow : . Levitation : .
Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
HP : -3/59
MP : 3
Str : 22 Weapon : +1 dwarf short sword
Int : 6 Armour : +4 robe (resist)
Dex : 10 Shield : +0 dwarf shield
AC : 9 Helmet : +0 orc helmet
Evasion : 10 Cloak : +2 cloak
Shield : 6 Gloves :
Boots :
Play time : 00:57:20 Amulet :
Turns : 6789 Ring :
Ring : ring of sustain abilities

You are on level 6.
You worship Okawaru.
Okawaru is noncommittal.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +1,+1 dwarven short sword (weapon)
Missiles
l - 8 poisoned +0 orcish darts
w - 23 poisoned +3 elven needles
Armour
b - a +2 cloak (worn)
c - a +0 dwarven shield (worn)
j - a +0 orcish helmet (worn)
u - a +1 elven chain mail
v - a +4 robe of resistance (worn)
x - a +1 leather armour of fire resistance
Comestibles
d - a bread ration
e - a meat ration
Scrolls
f - 5 scrolls of identify
g - 2 scrolls of paper
h - a scroll of detect curse
k - a scroll of magic mapping
o - a scroll of random uselessness
p - 2 scrolls of remove curse
t - 2 scrolls of fear
Jewellery
q - a ring of sustain abilities (left hand)
Potions
i - a potion of speed
m - a potion of confusion
s - a potion of levitation

You have 25 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 5 Fighting
+ Level 7 Short Blades
- Level 1 Throwing
- Level 3 Armour
+ Level 1 Dodging
- Level 4 Shields

You have 6 spell levels left.
You don't know any spells.

Last Messages

You hit w's ghost.
w's ghost is moderately damaged.
w's ghost hits you!
You die...

.. # #...#
.....#.#.#.##
............#
####.#.#.b..#
# #.#.##
# #.#.##
#....#
#p####
#@#
###

Vanquished Creatures
Edmund (D:6)
An ogre (D:5)
A centaur (D:5)
Sigmund (D:5)
An orc priest (D:4)
2 imps (D:5)
A scorpion (D:4)
An orc wizard (D:5)
8 snakes
4 worms
An ooze (D:2)
6 giant cockroaches
7 giant geckos
18 hobgoblins
5 orcs (D:4)
2 quokkas
13 rats
9 giant bats
5 giant newts
8 goblins
12 kobolds
An orc zombie (D:5)

108 creatures vanquished.

Rubinstein wrote:
> Will Shattuck wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > How do you kill ghosts? I have been killed by my own ghost two times
> > in a row.
>
> Ghosts are tough and dangerous, but also a very good source for
> experience points. They *never* will follow you to another level, so try
> to fight them on stairs.
> [...]
> . Also, you always should e_x_amine every ghost before you
> fight them. This way you'll get some vague information about the ghost's
> estimated toughness (like weak, average, experienced for instance)
> *before* you get in touch.

Excellent advice :) Thanks,
Will

p.s. - I like the "[...]" to indicate snipped text :)

Will Shattuck wrote:

> [...]
> How do you kill ghosts? I have been killed by my own ghost two times
> in a row.

Ghosts are tough and dangerous, but also a very good source for
experience points. They *never* will follow you to another level, so try
to fight them on stairs. When you see your HP dropping at about 1/3 of
your total HP from one single hit, you should immediately leave that
level cause then it's definitely too strong. In this case I try to find
another entrance to that level (ideally far away from the former stairs)
and take the next downstairs I find. Leave that level alone for a while
and come back when you are better prepared (eg got a new weapon, spell,
wand etc). Also, you always should e_x_amine every ghost before you
--
Rubinstein
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rubinstein <picommander@t-online.de> writes:
> Will Shattuck wrote:
> > How do you kill ghosts? I have been killed by my own ghost two times
> > in a row.

Every so often, play a Spriggan (so you're faster than them) and blast
the accumulated ghosts to pieces from a distance. Then play something
really tough to flatten the Spriggan ghosts. It's a bit like
scissors-paper-stone.

Basically, if every character of yours that gets to depth 3 goes on to
kill two or more ghosts, eventually the ghosts will run out.

> wand etc). Also, you always should e_x_amine every ghost before you
> fight them. This way you'll get some vague information about the ghost's
> estimated toughness (like weak, average, experienced for instance)
> *before* you get in touch.

....and also some information about what character class the ghost is,
so you know what sort of spells (if any) it can throw at you. Don't
rely on that too much, but it can give you some hints. I got jumped a
while back by a fire elementalist ghost that also had a powerful (for
the depth) summoning spell. If I'd had that spell when I'd been alive
I wouldn't have been dead, at least not there. ;)

--
Chris

Will Shattuck wrote:

> How do you kill ghosts?
Well, if you happen to be a necromancer, dispel undead is an effective
option, though ghosts may trouble you sooner than you expected to need
to dispel undead.
In one game as a mummy necromancer, I was saving some slots for animate
dead, but found i needed them for dispel. It is worth it in XP though;
you'll probably gain a level, and enough XP to train a level or two of
spellcasting, to make up the difference.