new processor

Bilbo_B

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2001
Hi. Silly question, I know.
I have a motherboard that will support celeron un to 533Mhz. I also can buy a very cheap Celeron 566. If I put it on my motherboard, will it:
a) Work at 533MHz,
b) not work at all, or
c) do something extremely weird?
Thank you very much for your answers.

mpjesse

Splendid
Well, if you have a motherboard that has a automatic clock speed detection it'll probably only clock it at 533mhz. But, if you can modify the clock multiplier you can get it up to 566mhz. When motherboards say "supports up to blah blah blah" it usually means the motherboard will only display "blah"- but that's only on boards that can modify the clock multiplier. Do you understand what I mean? Basically, if you can mess with the jumper settings it'll work.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Suck"

G

The 566 is a CeleronII - based on the 'copermine' p3 core, as opposed to the 533 which is based on the older p2 core.

Why this matters is the difference in core voltage required by the two different versions. The new CeleronII's run at a significantly lower voltage that may not be supported by your motherboard. Check the manufacturer's website for a bios update that supports the new celerons.

One thing for sure, the 566 will DEFINATELY NOT run at 533. All intel chips are multiplier LOCKED. That means NO WAY, NO HOW can you change the multiplier. It will either run at 566, or not at all.

Hope this helps :)

--------
I have not yet begun to procrastinate.

TRENDING THREADS