New monitor, display problems

Hey peeps,

I had previously posted on here regarding what I thought was a graphics problem (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=15&post=368736&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0). But it turns out it was my monitor after all.

So I have a new monitor: Samsung S22B300HS 21.5 inch Widescreen LED Monitor - Gloss Black (1920 x 1080 Full HD, 5ms, HDMI/VGA)

The problem I'm having is trying to get the best quality display from it, particularly for gaming. I find the callibration overly complicated and so far, I'm not at all happy with any of the displays I've experimented with. I had initially tried to use some Samsung software called MagicTune, but that doesn't work at all. I believe it's actually not compatible with this monitor, nor my graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series). I then also tried setting up the monitor through ATI's Catalyst Control Centre. I had what I believed was a better quality picture.

While the display on my desktop and browser looks fine to me - I log on to World of Warcraft and the colours are terrible! The text is all fuzzy and the colours are overly bright, it really is an eyesore! A friend of mine asked what cable connection I'm using - I said the HDMI cable. I bought a HDMI - DVI converter so that I can connect it to my graphics card. He believes this could be the problem and that maybe I'm better off using the VGA connection and buying a VGA-DVI converter instead.

So two questions to any kind soul out there...

1. Should I change the cable from HDMI to VGA?

2. Does anyone know of perhaps a software that allows you to have different monitor profiles? Unless of course, the cable issue is the problem and might just fix all.

Many thanks!
9 answers Last reply
More about monitor display problems
  1. OK - thought I'd drop in an update and once again, hope that someone might be able to help :)

I bought the new VGA-DVI adaptor, so removed the HDMI cable and am now using the VGA one.

Overall, the colour quality is way better! The sharpness and quality isn't as good though, but I can put up with that over such bright crude colours.

Now my problem is the quality when playing World of Warcraft - it's pants! :(

I can hardly read the text, even though it's the standard 12pt size. I have to increase it to 14 and it's still not great. The colours aren't quite as bad as they were with the HDMI, but still are not what I would call great.

I'm really disappointed, thought this new monitor would solve all my problems, but it seems to be a thorn in my side so far.

Any suggestions/advice, would be so much appreciated.

Thanks!
  2. And just another update, sorry if it's sounding spammy....

Finally got a great quality on Warcraft, in terms of colours etc...

The text however, is terrible. I'm really at a loss what to do. A friend said return the monitor and get a gaming one :(

Just to add, the text outside of Warcraft, is absolutely fine.
  3. Are you using the correct resolution in WoW? When using LCD/LED monitors, you need to use their native resolution, or the text will look poor.
  4. I am yes, I'm using 1920 - 1080, which is native for this monitor.

I've also made sure graphics drivers are updated. Although I'm hopeless with doing anything with the Catalyst Converter - so I just leave that alone.

I've ran the monitor calibration in Windows 7 and the clear text. I've also manually adjusted the monitor sharpness - it just gets worse. As I said, everything outside of WoW is perfect. I also play Runescape btw (cringe I know!) and the colours there aren't great, but the text is fine there too.

It is just WoW :(

Thanks for the reply though!
  5. If it's just WoW, you likely have a setting wrong in WoW. Try playing WoW in windowed mode.
  6. I have always played WoW in windowed mode. I went through a few resolutions last night to even check if that might improve the text. To be honest, there aren't a lot of things to be changed regarding picture quality. So I'm still completely at a loss.

I guess I should contact Samsung, just not very hopeful of a satisfactory outcome :(

Thanks though for the reply, much appreciated.
  7. mz-gina said:
    I have always played WoW in windowed mode. I went through a few resolutions last night to even check if that might improve the text. To be honest, there aren't a lot of things to be changed regarding picture quality. So I'm still completely at a loss.

I guess I should contact Samsung, just not very hopeful of a satisfactory outcome :(

Thanks though for the reply, much appreciated.

If picture quality is bad in one game only, I don't see how Samsung could help.

It's possible you have a setting like MLAA on in the CCC, perhaps WoW text files got corrupted, perhaps there is a mod in there that is causing an issue. If the monitor was at fault, it would show up in other places.
  8. Yes of course! It's not really Samsung's problem is it - I feel like a fool now :(

But thanks for pointing that out.

I have found the MLAA and CC and I'm tinkering around with that just now!

I've also read around a fair bit more. Would it be correct to say, that creating a profile for WoW in CCC isn't too helpful? The general opinion is that the in-game settings are more useful. I'm just that desperate to sort this out, willing to try anything :P
  9. OK - problem solved!

I was advised to go back to using the HDMI and given advice on callibrating it too. So I'm using that now and everything is sweet.

Thanks to those that helped! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Flat Panel Monitors Monitors Peripherals Displays