New monitor, display problems

mz-gina

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Hey peeps,

I had previously posted on here regarding what I thought was a graphics problem (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=15&post=368736&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0). But it turns out it was my monitor after all.

So I have a new monitor: Samsung S22B300HS 21.5 inch Widescreen LED Monitor - Gloss Black (1920 x 1080 Full HD, 5ms, HDMI/VGA)

The problem I'm having is trying to get the best quality display from it, particularly for gaming. I find the callibration overly complicated and so far, I'm not at all happy with any of the displays I've experimented with. I had initially tried to use some Samsung software called MagicTune, but that doesn't work at all. I believe it's actually not compatible with this monitor, nor my graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series). I then also tried setting up the monitor through ATI's Catalyst Control Centre. I had what I believed was a better quality picture.

While the display on my desktop and browser looks fine to me - I log on to World of Warcraft and the colours are terrible! The text is all fuzzy and the colours are overly bright, it really is an eyesore! A friend of mine asked what cable connection I'm using - I said the HDMI cable. I bought a HDMI - DVI converter so that I can connect it to my graphics card. He believes this could be the problem and that maybe I'm better off using the VGA connection and buying a VGA-DVI converter instead.

So two questions to any kind soul out there...

1. Should I change the cable from HDMI to VGA?

2. Does anyone know of perhaps a software that allows you to have different monitor profiles? Unless of course, the cable issue is the problem and might just fix all.

Many thanks!

mz-gina

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
OK - thought I'd drop in an update and once again, hope that someone might be able to help :)

I bought the new VGA-DVI adaptor, so removed the HDMI cable and am now using the VGA one.

Overall, the colour quality is way better! The sharpness and quality isn't as good though, but I can put up with that over such bright crude colours.

Now my problem is the quality when playing World of Warcraft - it's pants! :(

I can hardly read the text, even though it's the standard 12pt size. I have to increase it to 14 and it's still not great. The colours aren't quite as bad as they were with the HDMI, but still are not what I would call great.

I'm really disappointed, thought this new monitor would solve all my problems, but it seems to be a thorn in my side so far.

Any suggestions/advice, would be so much appreciated.

Thanks!

mz-gina

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
And just another update, sorry if it's sounding spammy....

Finally got a great quality on Warcraft, in terms of colours etc...

The text however, is terrible. I'm really at a loss what to do. A friend said return the monitor and get a gaming one :(

Just to add, the text outside of Warcraft, is absolutely fine.

mz-gina

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
I am yes, I'm using 1920 - 1080, which is native for this monitor.

I've also made sure graphics drivers are updated. Although I'm hopeless with doing anything with the Catalyst Converter - so I just leave that alone.

I've ran the monitor calibration in Windows 7 and the clear text. I've also manually adjusted the monitor sharpness - it just gets worse. As I said, everything outside of WoW is perfect. I also play Runescape btw (cringe I know!) and the colours there aren't great, but the text is fine there too.

It is just WoW :(

Thanks for the reply though!

mz-gina

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
I have always played WoW in windowed mode. I went through a few resolutions last night to even check if that might improve the text. To be honest, there aren't a lot of things to be changed regarding picture quality. So I'm still completely at a loss.

I guess I should contact Samsung, just not very hopeful of a satisfactory outcome :(

Thanks though for the reply, much appreciated.

If picture quality is bad in one game only, I don't see how Samsung could help.

It's possible you have a setting like MLAA on in the CCC, perhaps WoW text files got corrupted, perhaps there is a mod in there that is causing an issue. If the monitor was at fault, it would show up in other places.

mz-gina

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Yes of course! It's not really Samsung's problem is it - I feel like a fool now :(

But thanks for pointing that out.

I have found the MLAA and CC and I'm tinkering around with that just now!

I've also read around a fair bit more. Would it be correct to say, that creating a profile for WoW in CCC isn't too helpful? The general opinion is that the in-game settings are more useful. I'm just that desperate to sort this out, willing to try anything :p

mz-gina

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
OK - problem solved!

I was advised to go back to using the HDMI and given advice on callibrating it too. So I'm using that now and everything is sweet.

Thanks to those that helped! :)