Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New System, Old SSD and OS, Will this work?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 12, 2013 10:22:10 PM

Hello all,

I'm planning on building a new system and I want to use my current SSD that has Windows 7 already installed on it. I'm aware that running the system this way will cause issues, so I will be doing on fresh install when I build my new rig. My questions is will I run into an issue since the current license is a Windows 7 Upgrade license? I originally had Vista OEM installed but received Windows 7 as an upgrade option when I purchased vista. I upgraded to 7 on the same build with no problems and a few months ago I reinstalled Windows 7 on an SSD with no problems. My goal is to install windows again on the same SSD, but on an entirely new build.

Can I do this, or do I have to buy a new copy of windows 7?

More about : system ssd work

Best solution

January 12, 2013 10:29:40 PM

JRDesigns said:
Hello all,

I'm planning on building a new system and I want to use my current SSD that has Windows 7 already installed on it. I'm aware that running the system this way will cause issues, so I will be doing on fresh install when I build my new rig. My questions is will I run into an issue since the current license is a Windows 7 Upgrade license? I originally had Vista OEM installed but received Windows 7 as an upgrade option when I purchased vista. I upgraded to 7 on the same build with no problems and a few months ago I reinstalled Windows 7 on an SSD with no problems. My goal is to install windows again on the same SSD, but on an entirely new build.

Can I do this, or do I have to buy a new copy of windows 7?

prob not oems are linked to your old motherboard as soon as you change it your licence is null and void pretty much with exceptions
January 13, 2013 1:00:07 AM

That sucks big time. There's no way around it either like a phone call to MS? I know the Vista key was OEM, not sure about the 7 key as the disc just says "For Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program"
Related resources
January 13, 2013 1:08:47 AM

JRDesigns said:
That sucks big time. There's no way around it either like a phone call to MS? I know the Vista key was OEM, not sure about the 7 key as the disc just says "For Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program"

thats why oem or system builder builder installs are like 2 and a half times cheaper if you want otherwise it was more like 200-250 for a decent copy opposed to 100 bucks
January 13, 2013 5:09:57 AM

Just get a new copy because by the looks of things you have a "upgrade disc" this means that you have to install another OS then use the upgrade disc to get to windows 7. This will cause more headaches that needed and talk about a time waste to install 2 OS.

Win7 OEM is still cheap
January 13, 2013 1:50:15 PM

Thanks for the all the feedback. I'm going to try my luck and do it with the upgrade license, and see if I can call MS and get it activated either way. I've read cases where people were able to get it activated even though it was an OEM license. If that fails, I'll buy a New License since this build will stay in place for about 4 years like my current one did.
January 13, 2013 1:50:31 PM

Best answer selected by JRDesigns.
!