amd laptops?

G

I was just reading about the amd roadmap for the next little while. i noticed that they are producing mobile chips, i did not know they did that. Does anybody know a manufacuer that makes amd based laptops? i get the impression they would be a lot cheaper than the intel.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
They did make some K6-2 Notebooks, but from what I remember they were not that much cheaper from a intel version. AMD wins the price war with people who build thier own systems. Intel heavily favors OEM pricing.

AMD K6-2/475 3DNow! 12.1inch TFT
SVGA, 64M RAM (256M max), 6GHD,
v.90 modem, 6xDVD-ROM. $1090

Pentium® III 700MHz, 12.1inch
HPA color, SuperSlim, 128MB
RAM (256MB max), 10.0G HD
(20G max), 24xCD, free case $1179

For $100 more you can get a P3 700 system. I'm sure when AMD releases the Athlon Mobile Proc, we will all benefit from a price drop.

G

amd currently make a mobile duron chip at 600 and 700MHz. <A HREF="http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/mobile/duron/" target="_new">http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/mobile/duron/</A> they claim that this chip is already on the market but i could only find one system that uses it, and that is the system by nec that they use to benchmark the chip. The NEC LaVie U. However acording to the NEC website the laptop doesn't exist.

I would be really intrested in this chip could i find anybody that produces a laptop using it. anything that means i get an amd rather than an intel is great. but i'm not going to stoop to buying a 500Mhz computer to do it.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I'm just curious, I can understand why you would demand AMD for a desktop, but far as Notebooks go there is nothing wrong with going Intel. Notebooks are not known for great performance.

G

I think that why its hard to find duron laptops and palimno(not spelled correctly I know) is that there having troubling getting motherboards for them, that atleast what the register and other sites are saying.

Microsoft: We not only make Windows hacking possible, we make it easier!

dhlucke

Polypheme
Apparently they are expecting a price war between INTEL and AMD in the mobile section. They are expecting price drops for mobile chips just like for the desktop cpu's. That will be very nice...

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

G

Well palomino isn't seen much in laptops because it hasn't been released yet. At least not according to AMD's website. I'm interested in all this laptop information because I plan to buy one in August for my next year at school (I’m taking my second year of computer science and it would be a real help). I want to get the best machine I can for my buck so I’m starting my research now. Intel’s mobile chips are by far dominating the market. The poor showing of the transmetal chips disappoints me. I realize that they perform poorly in benchmarks because of their instruction set handling. With repeated instructions (as most programs create) they run far faster. I really look forward to the palomino (that’s the spelling I think it may be taken from Mozart’s Magic Flute, although why we would want a core named after that character I don’t know. There must be another source I’m unaware of) core in not only the desktop but in the mobile. That the core is released first in the mobile arena pleases me no end.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Most office dudes just do powerpoint presentations on the lappies, transmeta should be enough for them. I do some programming, USB TVing and want to do Quake3ing on the train. I need a moblile AMD with a mobile GFmx.

ps. dont comment about the ing's.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

G

I have to use my laptop as a mobile workstation as well so it needs to have some power for compiling my software, the old bus(PII300 128mb ram) takes 15 mins for one of the EXE's I have, and my desktop does it about 3 mins(1.2Ghz Athlon-c 512mb pc2100)
AOE2 just about runs on it but you can forget Q3 ......shame cos it has a 14.1" screenI really I could do with an Athlon laptop(but the 1ghz PIII would do)

M

Opinions are like arseholes .... everybody’s got one.... :smile:

G

i'd multi boot mine 2000/linux. i don't really care about games that much but it has to compile like a dream and be more stable than the desktop ones the school has to offer. obviously i would want a lan connection so i could jack into the university's network. i'm sure a game or two of quake of warcraft III (when it comes out) would be fun too. Using it as a portable DVD player would be an added bonus but i don't know if i would take that over a cd writer. What do you think?