Old PS/2 Keyboard won't Repeat (sort of)

jage

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
So I have an old irreplaceable keyboard made by PC Concepts. Nothing before or since has worked so well for me, so actually I have three- two in current use and one for spare parts.

These keyboards have PS/2 connections which are translated to USB via an adapter on one and hard-wiring on another.

Computer is and ASUS motherboard running windows 7, 64bit.

98% of keyboard functions are fine. The one problem I have is in a situation where a program picks up a key press, when I press another key the continued key press is interrupted.

Most simply expressed in a game such as Exit Path, or any ↑ ↓ → ← type game. To move the character right, hold → to jump ↑ for example. While holding → on my WinXP machine and hitting ↑ without releasing the first key, the character continues to move right; the keypress of → continues to register even if I hit other keys in between.

On my Windows 7 however, the same situation, I have to realease and repress → to have it register after any other keypress. Thus jumping removes moving right, moving right interrupts jumping. In a game that successfully picks up multiple presses and continued presses on other machines, it makes it impossible to play.

Another example is, say, a game like Diablo III. Spamming a skill on the 3 key is done by holding down the key. On other machines, pressing another key skill (such as 1) or drinking a potion (~) does not interrupt the skill spamming, e.g. your character keeps shooting or throwing or whatever.

On my Windows 7 again, hitting any key while another is pressed interrupts the registration of the pressed key until it is re-pressed.

On another Windows 7 64bit machine with a modern logitech wireless keyboard, all works as expected.

So I'm convinced it's the PS/2 to USB conversion or some lack in the PS/2 under Windows 7, not the game or anything else. I've updated all my drivers, uninstalled keyboard drivers to reset them, and poked around some other things with no effect. Searching yields nothing, as it is very generic terms and as I said the keyboard works for all other tasks (I'm using it at the moment), including normal key repeat in windowssssssssssssssssssssss.

So I don't know where to look, or if it is fixable at all. Neither installing XP, nor replacing the keyboard are really an option so I am hoping there is some PS/2 fix out there, beyond simply "the keyboard doesn't work at all/the keyboard works".

i assume you have been using said keyboards for quite awhile. on your past windows xp machines did the keyboard work perfectly or did you experience the same issue?

the problem almost seems like a key-roll-over or key-blocking issue. even ancient keyboards such as the ibm model m support 2kro so this is confusing.

if you experienced the same problem in the past as well then perhaps the keymatrix is just designed horribly in which case there really is no easy fix.

if the problem is limited to your windows 7 machines then perhaps it is a driver issue. try uninstalling all drivers and using the default windows xp keyboard drivers. also try using just the ps/2 plug instead of the usb adapter.

---

would this keyboard happen to be the ergonomic model in a split key layout? i have seen keyboards made in this style before so it is not unique and there are options out there. i know ibm made some (but they might be pretty hard to find!) and microsoft as well as a few other no-name brands too.

jage

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
It's split, but that's just it, all split keyboards are not the same and designers these days are like, "I can put a curve in it so I will!" or "let's shuffle around these buttons no one uses!" because it's different, not because it's ergonomically superior.

Even the nearly identical Microsoft brand version of the same period is junk... someone just made a really good keyboard, once upon a time and spoiled me.

jglpubli

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
Try this adapter, it worked for me with games and have memory for arrows keystroke:

http://www.chismeshop.com/en/computer-cables-adapters/184-ps2-keyboard-mouse-to-usb-coverter-adapter-splitter-02.html
usb2ps2.jpg

I tried other 2 adapters (with cable) but they didn't work, when you pressed 2 arrow keys and leave one the movement in first shot games stopped.

TRENDING THREADS