Don't you think Elves (aka 'Common Elves') should, due to their weaker
aptitides and relatively fast exping, should be repositioned as
'Half-Elves'? That will make them much less uncool and therefore they
will be played more. And their stats are exactly that - half-elvish.

Do anyone really play humans? They've not got any aptitudes, and
jack-of-all-trades is a dead man in Craw.

Same question for plain ogres and drakonians. Do they see play?

Ilyak wrote:
> Don't you think Elves (aka 'Common Elves') should, due to their weaker
> aptitides and relatively fast exping, should be repositioned as
> 'Half-Elves'? That will make them much less uncool and therefore they
> will be played more. And their stats are exactly that - half-elvish.

Speaking purely for myself, I'd agree.

> Do anyone really play humans? They've not got any aptitudes, and
> jack-of-all-trades is a dead man in Craw.

There are some niches where they do as well as almost anyone else. And
the fast leveling is nice. They also have a nice wide palette of class
choices.

Andrew Patrick Schumaker won in the last year with a human fighter or
gladiator... they get played.

> Same question for plain ogres and drakonians. Do they see play?

Not so much. Only one public Draconian YAVP, none for Ogres -- but one
or two people have stated that they have "ascension-ready" ogres. Don't
know why they weren't posted. Ogres aren't so bad, really, but they're
a little boring what with the class limitations, "classless game" or
not. Draconians are pretty cool, really, but a bit tough to work with,
plus a little unpredictable due to the "level 7 lottery."

e.

In article <1124809869.562275.90350@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Erik Piper <erik@sky.cz> wrote:
>Ilyak wrote:
>> Do anyone really play humans? They've not got any aptitudes, and
>> jack-of-all-trades is a dead man in Craw.
>
>There are some niches where they do as well as almost anyone else. And
>the fast leveling is nice. They also have a nice wide palette of class
>choices.
>
>Andrew Patrick Schumaker won in the last year with a human fighter or
>gladiator... they get played.

I don't dispute that they're playable, but bear in mind that I started
playing them because they're at the top of the race list :)

One thing I will say about JOAT: it's a little dangerous in that if you
find something cool, it's not like some races, where you can say "ah,
well, my aptitude for [weapon skill] is atrocious, I guess I'll just
throw that in the souvenir pile". With a JOAT race, you can always
persuade yourself that you can work whatever you found into your game
plan... which leads to characters like my current one, sort of a
combination healer/crusader/hunter with a lot of blowgun experience.

-Andrew ()

"Ilyak" <ilya.kasnacheev@gmail.com> writes:

>Don't you think Elves (aka 'Common Elves') should, due to their weaker
>aptitides and relatively fast exping, should be repositioned as
>'Half-Elves'? That will make them much less uncool and therefore they
>will be played more. And their stats are exactly that - half-elvish.

I don't mind. I play all races anyway.

>Do anyone really play humans? They've not got any aptitudes, and
>jack-of-all-trades is a dead man in Craw.

I've won with a human reaver.

>Same question for plain ogres and drakonians. Do they see play?

Sure.

-Jukka
--
Jukka Kuusisto