acer al1916w resolution problems

SRADWXI

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
hi guys ive just bought an acer 19" widescreen and im having a few problems setting it up, the only way i can get my pictures etc to show right is by setting the resolution at 1280x768 but when i do it makes all of my text (web and files) look distorted, if i lower the resolution down to
1152x864 or 1024x768 my text comes thru fine but my pictures/images/videos/web pages (in fact everything apart from text) is stretched, i read on another post about the widescreens not just stretching the image but they were supposed to show more images, this one is not,
i have played about with the resolution and every other one makes my desktop too big to be viewed or i get the letter box effect, any help on this would be much appreciated
i am using windows xp home and running the sis vga driver downloaded from 'acer'

SRADWXI

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
hang on a sec i think ive sorted it i was using windows to set the resolution beforehand, ive just used the sis utility to set it to 1440 x 900 and everything appears to be fine now, i will just run a few checks and get back if i need help, if i dont reply in 24 hours then this is the way to sort it out if anybody else reads it
thanx guys
carl

SRADWXI

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
ive sorted it now thanx guys, im using sis 661fx/gx graphics at the moment and downloading the latest driver 3.73 from sis sorted out my problem, im now running on 1440x900 and everything is fine apart from the fact that the text is very small due to the resolution im using but it isnt distorted like it was before
no need to reply guys thanx a lot
carl

sundaze

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Glad that you got your problem solved. i've also got an acer 1916w, and have yet to display its native resolution. i'm using a SIS 760 on board graphics processor, but it cannot display 1440x900. Using the SIS utility program its just not in the list of choices so i am having to use 1152x864. If anyone can help then please let me know.

My pc is an Asus T2-AE1, the Asus website has not given me any help apart from the occasional update for the SIS760 grpahics which is what is what the pc came with.

DAN

SRADWXI

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
hi mate i only just realised that somebody had replied to my post, i had the same problem as u, i tried to roll back driver it orked once then for some reason it went off, i tried to restore pc then it went twice as bad, i dont know nothing about your computer but its a similar problem to mine,
go to the sis website and download the latest driver, give that a try, thats how i got it sorted, the only other way is to restore the pc to factory, i think
dont be too reliant on my advice im not a computer tech or nothin but it worked for me, just took a bit of time, if there is more than 1 driver update make sure its the right one and the latest one that you get from them
www.sis.com
i think they have an autodetect on there which will connect to your comp and tell u what one you need to be sure, thats how i done it, you will have to install the detection program and an activex for it to work but its safe, also when you download the driver, save a copy to disk incase u ever reformat etc
hope this helps
cya soon sradwxi

tommysoftshoe

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
I am building a new PC and bought an Acer AL1916W for my monitor, but my Windows XP PRO operating system won't recognize the driver setting of 1140x900 pixels. I tried to download and install an ACER driver for a al1916, from the ACER site. Why didn't Acer send this driver on a disk? Anyway my monitor still requires scrollling and stretches images. I still haven't figured out how to fix it. Help?

SRADWXI

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
hi mate, yeah its the way your looking at it thats the problem, the monitor is generic, it will display whetever the computer puts to it, its not the monitor driver you need, its the graphics card driver that will cure the szcrolling problem, go to the manufacturers website for your graph card and get the latest driver, you will probably find you can get upto 1440x900 on most reasonably new cards,
if its stretching the images that is down to the 1140 you are setting it to, its stretching an 1140 picture into a 1440 screen, mine was like that,
the updated g card driver will cure the lot
cya soon
carl

180sonic

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
hi i am having problems aswell
i have a VIA/S3G unichrome igp videocard.
and i cant get the resolution to 1440x900.
the max he gives is 12..x7.. , what ever,
i find it rather sad that i can not fix it, not even with a
program i found on another forum, powerstrip.
if this cannot be fixed then i did not had to buy this monitor
because my old one can do exactly the same!!
can anyone help me please???? because on the acer site and
on the VIA site i cannot find any updates or patches for my
videocard. please help me!!!!

SRADWXI

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
hi mate, the only other thing i can suggest is if your pc came with the graphics card installed, then they would probably be able to provide you with an updated driver, is your card capable of producing 14x9 res, check with via and see, if its not then you would have to find a lower resolution with the same scale to keep the widescreen effect
cya soon
#carl

Rojaz

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
For those having problems getting the AL1916W to display at 1440 x 900, the solution is to download and install the monitor driver on the Acer site. Make sure you download the AL1916W driver and not the AL1916.

Once you've downloaded and installed the driver, and assuming your graphics card can handle the resolution, you will then be able to select the proper resolution in Windows (at least if you're using XP - not sure if there are drivers for other operating systems)

This is the approach I took and all is working for me. You can install the monitor driver from the "Monitor" tab under the "Advanced" configuration section of Windows "Display Properties."

Just in case there's a policy here against deep-linking, I am posting the download link separately below...

coku

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I have an Acer AL1916W and a NVidia 5500 card.

The preset resolutions bugged me because everything was either distorted or not big enough.

I d/l'd the Monitor driver and new video drivers but nothing worked...

Then I discovered by chance (I just went poking around) that the 5500 has a custom resolution setting.

I just plugged in 1440 and 900.

Problem solved.

bytmee

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Hey guys

I too am having trouble with one of these monitors. I'm running it on a HP d530 WinXP Pro SP2 P4 2.66 512MB. The graphics chip is a Intel 82865G with latest driver 6.14.10.4396 installed & I've also installed the Acer driver from the link above. The highest resolution available to me is 1280 x 768 and before I installed the Acer driver, the monitor was being detected as a default monitor. Unfortunately the budget Intel graphics hasn't got a custom resolution setting (that I can find).

Now, I'm sure I've installed this exact same monitor on another HP running the same graphics chipset, but all I had to do was upgrade the video driver & it just detected the native resolution of the plug & play monitor.

Funnily enough, this computer is on a KVM & the other computer connected to it is a dx6120 with an Intel 82915G graphics chip. The monitor runs at it's native res. but is detected as a plug & play monitor in device manager.

I'm thinking the d530 is in need of a reinstall but if anyone has a suggestion I'm all ears. Cheers.

Vinny

alien_3333

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
hey how's the image on the acer lcd ? is it crisp ? are the colors vivid and clear ? i would looooove to know your opinions... i want a 19 inch widecreen lcd and am having a hard time choosing...

Darkchyld

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I just got one of these, running a 9600 ATI, loaded the drivers linked in this thread and the latest from ATI. I am FLOORED! Its beautiful, UT 2004 looks sweet, DVD video outstanding! 8) I can't come up with enuff words to describe it. I would get another...

EricM

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I got my al1916w delivered today from amazon.co.uk for £139.99 and it really is a fantastic monitor for the price. I've got it linked up to my 360 and my old browsing desktop with a vga switcher, the 360 looks great on it but my old desktop isnt looking so hot...

My old desktop is a four year old duron 1300 with sis integrated graphics, i cant select the native 1440 x 900 resolution for this monitor. i've installed the new drivers for my sis integrated graphics and the monitor as detailed in this thread and it now offers some higher resolutions but no widescreen 1440 x 900! :x

I think i'll have to trawl ebay for an old pci graphics card but how do i know whats compatible with my old duron and do any older pci graphics cards output 1440 x 900 resolution?

I'd really appreciate any advice :D

jrnyman

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
Hi guys,I just bought a al1916w and im running it through a ati 9800 pro.its on 1440x900 but with videos i get these pixle flashes in and out. goes from clear to a faint pixle flash.and its not to clear. could this be the plug and play driver. thanks.

brijsax

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
Hi,
I've tried downloading the drivers via the link and directly from Acer's site.
When I open the zip file there is no setup exe there.
Can anyone enlighten me?

rrbud

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
Hello, I tried the same thing and i cannot open the file or there is nothing there. HELP there has to be a way to get my new monitor to work right. thanks in advance for any help from anyone !

drbones

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
Windows will not install these drivers automatically, you need to go through to
Control Panel -->> Device Manager -->> Monitors
And manually install the driver, windows will warn you several times about this but don't worry, they work better than what they suggest.

Hope this helps

gingereagle69

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2008
Umm, just seen the last post on this topic was in December ...

I've just bought the ACER 1916W and, after speaking with technician on their support desk, that it could be my graphics card as I'm getting 'No Signal' - I have a nVIDIA GeFORCE 7300GS - is it a case of getting a newer one (I note those with lower cards seem not to have a problem though), newer drivers for the card (any links to where to find them will be appreciated) or will just the monitor driver do (I've downloaded it, but cannot find where to install it manually in the Control Panel)?

terry t3rry

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Problems with acer 1961w monitor reaching 1440 x 900 resolution on win 98.

Me too system is win 98, gforce 2 MX/MX 400,

acer 1961w monitor will not go above 1280 x 800 resolution.

NVIDEA's alleged driver fix did not work, and I cannot add it in NVIDEA's custom force option.

I then installed the 1961w.ini monitor pack, which had an .ini file with 1440 x 900 settings, still no success.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to give win 98 up just because of a new monitor.

Bill

muzzammil

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
hi guys......me facing the same problem too.

downloading and installing the acer monitor driver didn't bring me the 1440x900 setting.

i have intel 82810E graphics controller.....plz help

G

The program named PowerStrip will help you. google for it, and you'll find.