-Crawl- YACD, Nemelex is fun!

I've been playing with cards, although doing it the safe way by
levitating first :) Very interesting... However I've now become much
less strong and much more intelligent :) Any advice?

Is the weapon I've got about the best I can go for with this fighter?
Hoping to attempt all of the game with this chap. Can happily bludgeon
to death most things, or at least I could until I shuffled my stats...
I just accidentally prayed and sac'd my gold dragon armour too. Well it
was way too heavy for this chap now.

Let me know what you think. I've completed dungeon to 21, vault to 7,
hive, swamp, elf, orc, snake, lair, crypt. Could never decide on either
light or heavy armour with this guy, which is a bit of a handicap as
I've reasonable armour and dodging skills. Which to settle for? (light
armour until I can switch my strength back!). Had a look in the slime
pit but acid blobs were a bit scary, although i've levelled a bit since
then.

Class : Fighter Res.Cold : . . . Warding : .
Worship : Nemelex Xobeh Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
Level : 23 Res.Poison: + Res.Corr. : .
Exp : 644824 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
Next Level : 745549
Exp Needed : 100725 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Spls.Left : 5 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: .
Gold : 629 Res.Slow : + Levitation : .
Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
HP : 203
MP : 36/37
Str : 8 Weapon : +7,+5 great flail (crush)
Int : 40 Armour : +1 leather armour of the Tortoise
Dex : 11 Shield :
AC : 20 Helmet : +2 helmet
Evasion : 15 Cloak : +3 cloak of Impermeability
Shield : 0 Gloves : +2 pair of gloves of the Loofah
Boots : +2 pair of dwarf boots
Play time : 1, 03:48:02 Amulet : amulet of Yqovihe
Turns : 121760 Ring : ring "Yq Diguciw Pad"
Ring : ring of levitation

You are on level 13.
You worship Nemelex Xobeh.
Nemelex Xobeh is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +7,+5 great flail of crushing (weapon)
n - an uncursed orcish dagger
Armour
h - a +2 helmet (worn)
o - the +1 leather armour of the Tortoise (worn)
It affects your strength (+2).
It affects your intelligence (+3).
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+4).
It greatly protects you from fire.

p - a +2 pair of dwarven boots (worn)
u - the +3 cloak of Impermeability (worn)

M - the +2 pair of gloves of the Loofah (worn)
It affects your strength (+2).

Magical devices
s - a wand of lightning (5)
v - a wand of teleportation (6)
y - a wand of draining
C - a wand of hasting
E - a wand of fire (10)
I - a wand of disintegration (7)
R - a wand of digging (2)
Comestibles
r - a meat ration
O - 3 royal jellies
Scrolls
g - 2 scrolls of blinking
m - 3 scrolls of teleportation
B - a scroll of vorpalise weapon
T - 2 scrolls of identify
U - 3 scrolls of recharging
Jewellery
i - a ring of teleport control
j - the amulet of Yqovihe (around neck)
This amulet protects its wearer from some magically induced forms of

slowness, and increases the duration of enchantments which speed his
or her
actions.
It affects your accuracy (+2).

k - the amulet "Ihorebi"
This amulet enables its wearer to attempt to enter a state of
berserk rage,
and increases their chance of successfully doing so. It also
partially
protects the user from passing out when coming out of that rage.
It enhances your eyesight.

l - a +0,+5 ring of slaying
K - a ring of levitation (left hand)
L - an amulet of resist mutation
S - the ring "Yq Diguciw Pad" (right hand)
This ring provides energy to its wearer, so that they need eat less
often.
It affects your strength (+2).
It protects you from fire.

Potions
d - 8 potions of heal wounds
f - a potion of healing
q - a potion of invisibility
A - a potion of speed
D - 2 potions of restore abilities
J - a potion of might
Books
F - a book of War Chants
N - a book of Wizardry
Magical staves
b - a rod of destruction
c - a staff of wizardry
z - a rod of destruction
Miscellaneous
e - a portable altar of Nemelex
t - a deck of summonings

You have 20 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 16 Fighting
* Level 27 Maces & Flails
- Level 2 Throwing
+ Level 14 Armour
+ Level 11 Dodging
- Level 2 Stealth
- Level 3 Shields
+ Level 5 Traps & Doors
- Level 7 Unarmed Combat
+ Level 4 Spellcasting
+ Level 9 Enchantments
+ Level 6 Air Magic
+ Level 17 Evocations

You have 5 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Corona Enchantment Excellent 1
b - Fire Brand Fire/Enchantment Great 2
c - Silence Air/Enchantment Great 3
d - Swiftness Air/Enchantment Excellent 2
e - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Excellent 2
f - Levitation Air/Enchantment Excellent 2
g - Insulation Air/Enchantment Great 4
h - Deflect Missiles Air/Enchantment Fair 6
i - Berserker Rage Enchantment Excellent 3

Mutations & Other Weirdness
Your system is immune to poisons.
You have supernaturally acute eyesight.
You are partially covered in knobbly red scales (AC + 2).

Dafty wrote:
> I've been playing with cards, although doing it the safe way by
> levitating first :) Very interesting... However I've now become much
> less strong and much more intelligent :) Any advice?

Not particularly... I'm not nearly as accomplished a Crawl player as
you. But...

> Is the weapon I've got about the best I can go for with this fighter?
> Hoping to attempt all of the game with this chap. Can happily bludgeon
> to death most things, or at least I could until I shuffled my stats...
> I just accidentally prayed and sac'd my gold dragon armour too. Well it
> was way too heavy for this chap now.

You SACCED your GOLD DRAGON ARMOUR?

My best character yet (the guy who was burned to a crisp in Gehenna)
came this -><- close to dying while trying to preserve a Gold Dragon
*corpse* for long enough that his prayer ran out so he could dissect it
and hopefully gain a gold dragon hide, and thus armour. He would happily
have given his left ring slot for a gold dragon armour. And you sac it.

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.

> Let me know what you think. I've completed dungeon to 21, vault to 7,
> hive, swamp, elf, orc, snake, lair, crypt. Could never decide on either
> light or heavy armour with this guy, which is a bit of a handicap as
> I've reasonable armour and dodging skills. Which to settle for? (light
> armour until I can switch my strength back!). Had a look in the slime
> pit but acid blobs were a bit scary, although i've levelled a bit since
> then.

I have only limited experience, but it seems to me that light armour is
superior in many situations in the late game, while heavy armour is
superior in many situations in the early game. Heavy armour always
works; light armour lets you dodge lightning and draining. It's a tough
call, that's for sure.

What race is this guy, by the way? Actually, the whole first line of the
character dump seems to be missing, so we don't see those three neat
plusses beside "Res.Fire".

> Inventory:
> Hand weapons
> a - a +7,+5 great flail of crushing (weapon)
Me crush!

> n - an uncursed orcish dagger
Dissection tool, right? Aren't knives lighter?

> Armour
> h - a +2 helmet (worn)
> o - the +1 leather armour of the Tortoise (worn)
> It affects your strength (+2).
> It affects your intelligence (+3).
> It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+4).
> It greatly protects you from fire.

Nice!

> p - a +2 pair of dwarven boots (worn)
> u - the +3 cloak of Impermeability (worn)
Well, an extra plus is an extra plus. But not when you sac your gold
dragon armour! I can't get over that.

> M - the +2 pair of gloves of the Loofah (worn)
> It affects your strength (+2).
So your natural strength is actually 4? Wow.

> Magical devices
> s - a wand of lightning (5)
> v - a wand of teleportation (6)
> y - a wand of draining
> C - a wand of hasting
> E - a wand of fire (10)
> I - a wand of disintegration (7)
> R - a wand of digging (2)
> Comestibles
> r - a meat ration
> O - 3 royal jellies
> Scrolls
> g - 2 scrolls of blinking
> m - 3 scrolls of teleportation
> B - a scroll of vorpalise weapon
Carrying this around, or picked up just now?

> T - 2 scrolls of identify
> U - 3 scrolls of recharging
> Jewellery
> i - a ring of teleport control
> j - the amulet of Yqovihe (around neck)
> This amulet protects its wearer from some magically induced forms of
>
> slowness, and increases the duration of enchantments which speed his
> or her
> actions.
> It affects your accuracy (+2).

A "oRS which makes you hit better - my current character would like just
a "oRS. This is even better (but hard to remember).

> l - a +0,+5 ring of slaying

Wearing this for daily use?

> K - a ring of levitation (left hand)
> L - an amulet of resist mutation
> S - the ring "Yq Diguciw Pad" (right hand)
> This ring provides energy to its wearer, so that they need eat less
> often.
> It affects your strength (+2).
> It protects you from fire.

Wait. Your natural strength is actually *2*? Eek.

> Magical staves
> b - a rod of destruction
> z - a rod of destruction

Which ones?

> Miscellaneous
> e - a portable altar of Nemelex

I've been wondering... how much does this weigh?

> t - a deck of summonings
>

> You have 20 experience left.
>
> Skills:
> + Level 16 Fighting
> * Level 27 Maces & Flails
> - Level 2 Throwing

> + Level 14 Armour
> + Level 11 Dodging

Nice.

> - Level 2 Stealth
> - Level 3 Shields
> + Level 5 Traps & Doors
> - Level 7 Unarmed Combat

Why did you turn this off?

> + Level 4 Spellcasting
> + Level 9 Enchantments
> + Level 6 Air Magic
> + Level 17 Evocations
>

> You have 5 spell levels left.
> You know the following spells:
>
> Your Spells Type Success
> Level
> a - Corona Enchantment Excellent 1
> b - Fire Brand Fire/Enchantment Great 2
> c - Silence Air/Enchantment Great 3

My character has just learned this. If he gets good enough to do the
Halls... mmmm.

> d - Swiftness Air/Enchantment Excellent 2
> e - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Excellent 2
> f - Levitation Air/Enchantment Excellent 2
> g - Insulation Air/Enchantment Great 4
> h - Deflect Missiles Air/Enchantment Fair 6
> i - Berserker Rage Enchantment Excellent 3
>
> Mutations & Other Weirdness
> Your system is immune to poisons.
> You have supernaturally acute eyesight.
> You are partially covered in knobbly red scales (AC + 2).

That's a very nice list of mutations. Very nice.

Elethiomel wrote:
> Dafty wrote:

> Wait. Your natural strength is actually *2*? Eek.

The Shuffle card interacts in a weird way with stat bonuses. I've never
investigated it in detail (better to just finally learn to STOP MESSING
WITH CARDS WITH NON-NEMELEXITES ALREADY after having gotten
shuffleupagussed in TWO of my wins), but I've noticed the base in the
target stat being different than it was when it was the source stat. Not
sure if the overall effect is neutral or if you get shafted.

e.

--
"Well, we didn't understand what 'Free Bird' means, anyway. So we played
Sweet Home Alabama for those silly guys."

Erik Piper wrote:
> Elethiomel wrote:
>
>> Dafty wrote:
>

>> Wait. Your natural strength is actually *2*? Eek.
>

> The Shuffle card interacts in a weird way with stat bonuses. I've never
> investigated it in detail (better to just finally learn to STOP MESSING
> WITH CARDS WITH NON-NEMELEXITES ALREADY after having gotten
> shuffleupagussed in TWO of my wins), but I've noticed the base in the
> target stat being different than it was when it was the source stat. Not
> sure if the overall effect is neutral or if you get shafted.

Well, if you're running a long-blade Crusader, I think the shuffle card
isn't bad in any event - especially if you're an elven long-blade
crusader. Dex (and int) tends to naturally increase, and you've probably
put at least some voluntary increases into intelligence (at least I do,
to heighten early survivability with those spell fail chances). Thus
your lowest stat would most probably be strength. So any shuffle will
either shuffle your two highest stats (dex and int), not making much of
a difference (since by that point you've probably poured some XP into
the spellcasting skill and a point or three in INT won't make you fail
your berserker rages or silences), or shuffle INT into STR in which case
some more Spellcasting XP would be good, but you're also a more powerful
damage dealer, which is nice, or shuffle DEX into STR in which case
you're still a good spellcaster *and* a better damage dealer.

Or is there something I'm totally missing?

Dafty wrote:
> I've been playing with cards, although doing it the safe way by
> levitating first :) Very interesting... However I've now become much
> less strong and much more intelligent :) Any advice?

Keep building your Enchantments! :)

> Is the weapon I've got about the best I can go for with this fighter?
> Hoping to attempt all of the game with this chap. Can happily bludgeon
> to death most things, or at least I could until I shuffled my stats...

My experience with statshuffle (albeit a bit less severe) is that with
really high weapon skill, it doesn't doesn't affect combat all that
much. Stick with the weapon of crushing for now, and cross your fingers
for a big whomping mace/flail of holy wrath, I guess... I've never done
a Maces/Flails character into the endgame, but that brand seems to be a
reasonable hope for that weapon class, and you'll kick far more butt
with it 90% of the time in the places you're going than with Crushing.

> Let me know what you think. I've completed dungeon to 21, vault to 7,
> hive, swamp, elf, orc, snake, lair, crypt.

Main dungeon is probably the best bet.

> Could never decide on either
> light or heavy armour with this guy, which is a bit of a handicap as
> I've reasonable armour and dodging skills. Which to settle for?

Perhaps heavy -- you'll still preserve some of the extra Evasion and of
course will get the bonus AC from body armour, and you'll still get the
sweet guaranteed minimum damage reduction from Armour skill, whereas the
other way around you'll just get the bonus AC from body armour, no
minimum damage reduction. All merely IIUC, of course... and in questions
of Armour/Dodging, there's a lot I don't understand.

But you know me, always promoting the heavy armours. ;-)

(A lot also depends on your Enchantments... supercool would be to be
able to cast Deflect Missiles in heavy armour so as to have a bit of the
best of both worlds, but that's a long road to set in front of yourself.)

> Had a look in the slime
> pit but acid blobs were a bit scary, although i've levelled a bit since
> then.

Jellies are pretty scary... I'd save it a while. Probably safest is Main
Dungeon for a while for the moment.

> K - a ring of levitation (left hand)
[...]
> S - the ring "Yq Diguciw Pad" (right hand)
[...]
> It affects your strength (+2).
[...]

Travel gear, huh?

> Books
> F - a book of War Chants
> N - a book of Wizardry

Oof, a jumpstart straight to level 2 looks like. Ideal in the long run,
frustrating in the short run...

> c - a staff of wizardry

....lucky you have this.

e.

--

In article <430cc70c$0$18649$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, Erik Piper
<erik@sky.cz> wrote:
>I've never done a Maces/Flails character into the endgame, but that
>brand seems to be a reasonable hope for that weapon class, and you'll
>kick far more butt with it 90% of the time in the places you're going
>than with Crushing.

This provides a good segue into something I'd been meaning to ask ... my
current character (still the dart-tosser) is nearing the point in the
game where I think I should start cashing in the enchant weapon scrolls
I've been saving up, and my choices are:

a - a +5,+5 short sword of electrocution
b - a +2,+0 sabre of holy wrath
c - a hypothetical quick blade, which I suppose I would leave non-ego
if I found it that way (being able to cast frost, fire, and vorpal brands
at will)... other than that Ancient Lich, is there much of anything in
Zot affected by holy wrath? Or is it more just that it's useful against
most summoned stuff and in Hell/Pan?

-Andrew (who suspects he's not getting a title other than
"Knifefighter")

Elethiomel wrote:
> Erik Piper wrote:
>
>> Elethiomel wrote:
>>
>>> Dafty wrote:
>>
>>> Wait. Your natural strength is actually *2*? Eek.
>>

>> The Shuffle card interacts in a weird way with stat bonuses. I've
>> never investigated it in detail (better to just finally learn to STOP
>> MESSING WITH CARDS WITH NON-NEMELEXITES ALREADY after having gotten
>> shuffleupagussed in TWO of my wins), but I've noticed the base in the
>> target stat being different than it was when it was the source stat.
>> Not sure if the overall effect is neutral or if you get shafted.
>

> Well, if you're running a long-blade Crusader, I think the shuffle card
> isn't bad in any event - especially if you're an elven long-blade
> crusader. Dex (and int) tends to naturally increase, and you've probably
> put at least some voluntary increases into intelligence (at least I do,
> to heighten early survivability with those spell fail chances). Thus
> your lowest stat would most probably be strength. So any shuffle will
> either shuffle your two highest stats (dex and int), not making much of
> a difference (since by that point you've probably poured some XP into
> the spellcasting skill and a point or three in INT won't make you fail
> your berserker rages or silences), or shuffle INT into STR in which case
> some more Spellcasting XP would be good, but you're also a more powerful
> damage dealer, which is nice, or shuffle DEX into STR in which case
> you're still a good spellcaster *and* a better damage dealer.
>
> Or is there something I'm totally missing?

Not really. Once upon a time Brent commented that, all things being
equal (he forgot to mention "and if you cast at least some spells) Int
has more overall effect than anything else, and at that time or another
one, he said that Dex has more effect than Str, and I've always taken
his word for it, but yeah, if none of your stats are awful and if the
shuffle doesn't leave your STR+DEX+INT lower if you were wearing stat
gear during the shuffle, there's no real loss for the case you mention.

e.

--
"Well, we didn't understand what 'Free Bird' means, anyway. So we played
Sweet Home Alabama for those silly guys."
- from autobiography of JA noisecore band Melt Banana

>> K - a ring of levitation (left hand)
>> S - the ring "Yq Diguciw Pad" (right hand)
>> It affects your strength (+2).
>
>Travel gear, huh?

Actually card playing gear. Why bother with all that tedious mucking
about in pan/abyss when you can levitate? :) Perhaps a bit cheaty, but
I have a weapon of distortion handy, and have swiftness and am pretty
buff, so I'm fairly confident I could survive most situations most of
the time.

Also with my internal strength now extremely low I need all the
strength I can get... Thinking of sacrificing lots of stuff and
scumming cards until I get reshuffled. However... Can I get a stat
drain that will kill me? If I go <=0 internally not counting the
plusses from my kit will I die? If so then weakness card would be a
killer...

As for the other chap who moaned about my gold armour :) It was a
mistake, I dropped it because it was too heavy for my now severly
strength limited fighter, and then forgot and prayed whilst standing on
that spot :) Didn't cry too many tears though, there may be other
armours, and I was kinda missing the bonuses from the light armour I'm
wearing above anyway.

Anyway if continued playing with cards is a very bad idea, then I'll
probably complete the dungeon, then vault 8 (which i'm fairly sure I
can take now anyway), then possibly slime pits/tomb before the hells
and onwards.

My initial plan was to scum for cards before the hells to get myself
some godly stats, then change gods to Ely :) But I'm not sure there'll
be enough weapons around for me to sac to get my peity to useful
levels. Still even with low Ely peity the standard heal when combined
with lots of food can get you back up on your feet pretty quickly,
hopefully before the next hell summon turns up. Plus being able to cast
swiftness reliably (in light armour at least) has got to help.

And yeah the staff of wizardry was great to be able to learn spells
quickly.

Oh the rods by the way were two distructions ones, Fire and Cold. Nice
combo! Soften stuff up with rods, then pummel with mace. Nice and
simple :) Torment is obviously going to start ruining my day though.

Rich

ah heck... Sorted my stats out and had godly strength again so went to
swap for Ely. Didn't know what punishment to expect having only read of
other gods summoning nasties for you to deal with. Oh no, not
Nemelex...

Nemelex Xobeh makes you to draw from the Deck of Punishment.
You draw a card...
You have drawn the Shuffle card!
You are being crushed by all of your possessions.

Oh well, back to the low strenght set up. Certainly don't seem to kick
quite so much ass with 12 STR rather than 48...

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Basher the Skullcrusher

Race : Mountain Dwarf Res.Fire : + + . See Invis. : +
Class : Fighter Res.Cold : . . . Warding : .
Worship : Elyvilon Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
Level : 25 Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
Exp : 949402 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
Next Level : 975649
Exp Needed : 26247 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Spls.Left : 9 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: .
Gold : 1053 Res.Slow : + Levitation : .
Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
HP : 225
MP : 38
Str : 11 (12) Weapon : +6,+3 great flail "R Citubot Qi"
Int : 48 Armour : +1 leather armour of the Tortoise
Dex : 11 Shield :
AC : 20 Helmet : +2 helmet
Evasion : 17 Cloak : +2 elf cloak (R-magic)
Shield : 0 Gloves : +2 pair of gloves of the Loofah
Boots : +1 pair of boots (stealth)
Play time : 1, 07:42:18 Amulet : amulet of Yqovihe
Turns : 145344 Ring : +0,+5 ring of slaying
Ring : ring "F Rclzxaaariby"

You are on level 27.
You worship Elyvilon.
Elyvilon is most pleased with you.
You are overloaded with stuff.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - the +6,+3 great flail "R Citubot Qi" (weapon)
It emits flame when wielded, causing extra injury to most foes and
up to
double damage against particularly susceptible opponents.
It affects your AC (-1).

e - an uncursed runed battleaxe of electrocution
i - an uncursed spiked flail of distortion
o - a +7,+5 great flail of crushing
O - an uncursed orcish great flail
Missiles
t - 18 bolts
x - 25 elven arrows
Armour
h - a +2 helmet (worn)
k - the +1 leather armour of the Tortoise (worn)
It affects your strength (+2).
It affects your intelligence (+3).
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+4).
It greatly protects you from fire.

p - a +2 elven cloak of magic resistance (worn)
F - a +1 pair of boots of stealth (worn)
I - the -1 leather armour of Hide-and-Seek
It affects your accuracy (+3).
It partially protects you from negative energy.
It makes you much less stealthy.
It lets you sense your surroundings.

M - the +2 pair of gloves of the Loofah (worn)
It affects your strength (+2).

Magical devices
g - a wand of teleportation (6)
n - a wand of cold (4)
s - a wand of lightning (3)
u - a wand of hasting
v - a wand of fireball
E - a wand of fire (8)
J - a wand of slowing
N - a wand of draining
Comestibles
r - 3 honeycombs
C - 7 royal jellies
Scrolls
m - 3 scrolls of recharging
q - a scroll of noise
w - 7 scrolls of identify
A - a scroll of enchant weapon I
G - 4 scrolls of remove curse
H - 6 scrolls of teleportation
P - a scroll of enchant armour
Q - a scroll of enchant weapon II
Jewellery
j - the amulet of Yqovihe (around neck)
This amulet protects its wearer from some magically induced forms of

slowness, and increases the duration of enchantments which speed his
or her
actions.
It affects your accuracy (+2).

l - a +0,+5 ring of slaying (right hand)
B - the ring "F Rclzxaaariby" (left hand)
This ring allows its wearer to see those things hidden from view by
magic.
It affects your AC (+6).
It affects your intelligence (+3).
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+4).

K - a ring of levitation
L - an amulet of resist mutation
S - the ring "Yq Diguciw Pad"
This ring provides energy to its wearer, so that they need eat less
often.
It affects your strength (+2).
It protects you from fire.

Potions
d - 8 potions of heal wounds
f - 2 potions of healing
y - 3 potions of might
D - a potion of cure mutation
Magical staves
b - a rod of destruction
c - a staff of wizardry
z - a rod of destruction

You have 7965 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 18 Fighting
* Level 27 Maces & Flails
- Level 2 Throwing
+ Level 14 Armour
+ Level 14 Dodging
- Level 3 Stealth
+ Level 1 Stabbing
- Level 3 Shields
+ Level 6 Traps & Doors
+ Level 8 Unarmed Combat
+ Level 5 Spellcasting
+ Level 10 Enchantments
+ Level 8 Air Magic
+ Level 19 Evocations

You have 9 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Corona Enchantment Excellent 1
b - Fire Brand Fire/Enchantment Excellent 2
c - Silence Air/Enchantment Excellent 3
d - Swiftness Air/Enchantment Excellent 2
e - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Excellent 2
f - Levitation Air/Enchantment Excellent 2
g - Insulation Air/Enchantment Great 4
h - Deflect Missiles Air/Enchantment Very Good 6
i - Berserker Rage Enchantment Excellent 3

Last Messages

Nemelex Xobeh makes you to draw from the Deck of Punishment.
You draw a card...
You have drawn the Shuffle card!
You are being crushed by all of your possessions.

#.#.#.#.# #.#
#...#.#.# #\#
#####.#.# #.#
#.#.# #.#
#.# ###
#.#
#########.#
#.......#.#
##@###.##.#
#...#....#
<...######
##.#.#
#####

Vanquished Creatures
An ancient lich (Crypt:5)
Adolf (Crypt:5)
Norris (D:25)
2 golden dragons
2 golden dragons (shapeshifter)
3 acid blobs (Slime:1)
A titan (Vault:8)
3 curse skulls
2 quicksilver dragons (shapeshifter)
6 shadow dragons
A titan (shapeshifter) (D:26)
2 liches

Dafty wrote:

> Also with my internal strength now extremely low I need all the
> strength I can get... Thinking of sacrificing lots of stuff and
> scumming cards until I get reshuffled. However... Can I get a stat
> drain that will kill me?

Yes, IIRC. They can be pretty big, again IIRC. <source-diving sound
effects>Aha, here we go.</source-diving sound effects>

It's always

you.[whatever_stat_is_in_question] -= (2 + random2avg(3, 2));

If I'm not mistaken that's a drop by (2+ avg_of_2_rolls_of_a_d3). That
is, 3 to 5.

The *trouble* is, though, dropping to 3 or below from a card drain will
kill you, unlike the usual case with stat drains, where you have to
reach 0 to die.

So, find a few more ST boosts before getting back to work.

> If I go <=0 internally not counting the plusses from my kit will I die?

No.

> My initial plan was to scum for cards before the hells to get myself
> some godly stats, then change gods to Ely :)

Heh. :) The classical (well, the Mark Mackey) way of abusing Nemelex is
the precise opposite. :) It's due to the inability of the PC to get
much from cards safely until he's pretty buff, especially if no
Labyrinths are at hand.

> But I'm not sure there'll
> be enough weapons around for me to sac to get my peity to useful
> levels. Still even with low Ely peity the standard heal when combined
> with lots of food can get you back up on your feet pretty quickly,
> hopefully before the next hell summon turns up.

I do see your point.

> Plus being able to cast
> swiftness reliably (in light armour at least) has got to help.

Errr... what's the connection with Ely?

e.

--

Erik Piper wrote:
> Dafty wrote:
> > But I'm not sure there'll
> > be enough weapons around for me to sac to get my peity to useful
> > levels. Still even with low Ely peity the standard heal when combined
> > with lots of food can get you back up on your feet pretty quickly,
> > hopefully before the next hell summon turns up.
>
> I do see your point.
>
> > Plus being able to cast
> > swiftness reliably (in light armour at least) has got to help.
>
> Errr... what's the connection with Ely?

I read it as saying that being on Ely's good list will help you get
back on your feet again, before the next hell summon turns up, as will
being able to cast swiftness. Then again, I could be misinterpreting it
totally.

> I read it as saying that being on Ely's good list will help you get
> back on your feet again, before the next hell summon turns up, as will
> being able to cast swiftness. Then again, I could be misinterpreting it
> totally.

Yeah sorry was just counting all my survival techniques. Never used
swiftness before and it's really really handy!

Nemelex's punishment was harsh though. Next deck of punishment was the
pandemonium card! Interesting, never been there before. So far on my
third level of pan and have managed to kill everything thrown at me so
far including several type 1's. Just killed a unique demon but haven't
found a rune yet. Had I known about Nemelex's punishments I'd have been
carrying my dstortion weapon, but what the hell, was going to pan
eventually anyway :)

Rich