PIII 850 100Mhz

G

Ok here is the situation. I have a QDI Brilliant-1 BX motherboard currently running a PII 266 processor. I have an opportuniy to pick up a PIII 850 processor real cheap. Will I be able to run this processor using my existing motherboard? I have updated the Bios and it says there is support for CPUs running faster than 550Mhz The board can multiply up to a factor of 8.
Thanks...

G

Hmm, not alot of QDI owners out there, I guess.

It sounds like you all ready bought the chip. Did you try it ? Did it work ?

BIOS upgrade blurbs can be pretty uninformative, even from the mainstream manufacturers. Since you seem to have bought it, you'll simply have to try.

If it works, you'll have some information for the next QDI upgrader. Good luck.

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well if it is a BX chipset, and you only support a Multiplier of 8 then with the normal bus speed for the BX chipset (66/100) you cannot. As it would be 8 x 100 = 800 and you have an 850.

If your mainbaord supports it you can try to increase your bus speed a little. 106 should do the trick but havent heard any boards with Bx that support 106 FSB.

Rop

Why do I use LINUX ? Cause its the BEST OS
Why do I use Windows? Cause its the BEST Nintendo..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Don't believe that. Find out if your board supports the Coppermine core at all. Then set your jumper multiplier to autodetect. Jumper multipliers are irrelevent to the PIII, they are internally multiplier locked.

Suicide is painless...........

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Jumper multipliers are irrelevent to the PIII, they are internally multiplier locked."

Jumper multipliers ae not irrelevent. Sure the cpu is mutlipier locked but the fact still remains the same if the board does not support a multiplier then it will simply not autodetect the cpu correctly. The board MUST support the multiplier in any case.

Why do I use LINUX ? Cause its the BEST OS
Why do I use Windows? Cause its the BEST Nintendo..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Let me put it this way-if your BIOS supports the Celeron 667, it has the 10x multiplier. If it supports the Coppermine, it should have the 10x multiplier. In the only case I have seen where it did not, it displayed the wrong speed at boot, but WCPUID still showed it operating at full throttle.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Thank you to all that posted. I did not go with the 850. I have decide to wait a bit then purchase a whole new system based on AMD. I did however teak my 266 based system. I'm now running at 300 with a 75Mhz FSB and 256Meg ram. A noticeable improvement I must say.
Ghost