-crawl- evasion vs AC

Hi eveyrone!
I'm playern a minotaur berserker, and I have got one ring that gives +5
EV and another one that gives +7 EV, -5 AC.

Maybe I should wear them both and get Rober os Resistance? How good is
evasion ~ 25? Will it compensate lack of any AC?

Is your character trained in evasion? Switching from something like a
Platemail when you have a lot of experience dumped into the Armor
skill, to something like a Robe of Resistance and two evasion-giving
rings can sometimes be a painful transition, until you raise your
evasion skill to a decent level.

And note that the robe of resistance only gives fire and cold
resistance, and not much else.

By the way, can you tell me how evasion skill, dex, and EV count one
against another? How is real evasion chance calculated?

Mechanoid wrote:
> Is your character trained in evasion? Switching from something like a
> Platemail when you have a lot of experience dumped into the Armor
> skill, to something like a Robe of Resistance and two evasion-giving
> rings can sometimes be a painful transition, until you raise your
> evasion skill to a decent level.
>
> And note that the robe of resistance only gives fire and cold
> resistance, and not much else.

You mean there IS something else?? :)

(Fire, check. Cold, check. Lightning, you can dodge with the evasion
provided by such light armour and some skill unless it's an electric
golem -- check. Draining ditto with some weird caveats of its own,
check. That leaves poison resistance, which is only really needed for
eating -- check. What's left? Oh, yeah, to enchant that baby up to +8. :) )

e.

--
"Well, we didn't understand what 'Free Bird' means, anyway. So we played
Sweet Home Alabama for those silly guys."

Ilyak writes:
> Hi eveyrone!
> I'm playern a minotaur berserker, and I have got one ring that gives +5
> EV and another one that gives +7 EV, -5 AC.
>

> Maybe I should wear them both and get Rober os Resistance? How good is
> evasion ~ 25? Will it compensate lack of any AC?

IMGO, if you have the equipment for it, it is best to balance AC and
EV. And with those rings you do. I would wear at least one of them,
plus heavy armor. Ac 20/ EV 20 is probably better than having 30 in
just one category. EV suffers from diminishing returns and deadly
randomness. AC suffers from not protecting against all attacks.

Heavy armor has the very important quality of giving you guaranteed
damage reduction. So I usually try to go with it even if I have rings
that provide lots of AC on their own. The only time I don't is when I
need to use skills that it interferes with. (And even then I consider
practising armor until the hit goes away.)