Some funny messages and other minor things

I'm now playing a sludge elf transmuter. I guess it's a very played
combo, but he is really the most cool character I ever played. Not
easiest, not trickiest, just very cool.

Only transmuter can meet Ogre on D:1 being level 2, kill him
flawlessly, and get 3 levels at one.

Started using blade hands at level ~ 7, blade hands seem to combine
pluses from heavy and light weapons - they hit very fast and pack
incredible punch. Now I'm lvl 16, venturing into vaults.

==
You ~@й^~@й^~@л^╓~T^LЬ^HЬ^HЗ^d~Z^ the ugly thing!!!
You kick the ugly thing!
You kill the ugly thing!
Okawaru accepts your kill.
==
What was that? It looks seriously like a buffer overflow. I'm scared
now because it can possibly crash from it? Having said that, I have not
found cause on fight.cc.

Also
==
You the rakshasa!!!
==
My deeds are pretty unspeakable, poor rakashasa.

==
The runed shield hits you!
The runed shield hits you but doesn't do any damage.
==
Why do some things hit me hard? :) Some sort of monster I guess?

I have meet a gang of 4 yaktaurs, 2 DESu, DEFi, 2 DEKnights, and
managed to take them off! Firstly they ate !oConfusion, then
!oDegeneration (that black slowing cloud), then !oMutation (fire), then
!oPoison. I even did not have to strike them at all. The took out 2/3
of my hps thought, making me scared.

What does "You feel troubled" mean? This is spell-effect, monster
gestures and that's that.

Thx for advices. :p

I have got that. That's fight.cc:
==
if (damage < HIT_MED)
strcpy( noise, "slash" );
else if (damage < HIT_STRONG)
strcpy( noise, "slice" );
break;
==
And if damage >= HIT_STRONG, noise is uninitialised! It should be else
not else if, of there should be third modifier.

Ilyak wrote:
> ==
> The runed shield hits you!
> The runed shield hits you but doesn't do any damage.
> ==
> Why do some things hit me hard? :) Some sort of monster I guess?

Yup, mimics.

> What does "You feel troubled" mean? This is spell-effect, monster
> gestures and that's that.

Fake spell effects designed simply to make the player wonder what is
happening. No, I'm not joking. The developers are eeeeevil! :)

e.

Elethiomel wrote:
> Erik Piper wrote:
> > Ilyak wrote:
["You feel troubled." -- something happened?]

> > Fake spell effects designed simply to make the player wonder what is
> > happening. No, I'm not joking. The developers are eeeeevil! :)
>
> Really? I had the impression that it meant something in your inventory
> became cursed.

"You feel troubled" appears in the source twice. Once in monspeak.cc
for Boris:

case MONS_BORIS: // ancient lich
switch (random2(24))

[...]

case 7:
strcat(info, " stares at you.");
mpr(info, MSGCH_MONSTER_SPELL);
mpr("You feel troubled.", MSGCH_WARN);
return (true);

....and once in mstuff2.cc, as one out of several, as the devs call it,
"monster spells of uselessness." These are what I was really talking
about.

case MS_CANTRIP:
// Monster spell of uselessness, just prints a message.
// This spell exists so that some monsters with really strong
// spells (ie orc priest) can be toned down a bit. -- bwr
//
// XXX: Needs expansion, and perhaps different priest/mage
flavours.
switch (random2(7))

[...]

case 1:
mpr( "You feel troubled." );
break;

e.

Brent Ross wrote:
> In article <431448c6.5691256@news.kolumbus.fi>,
> Lauri Vallo <laEEKSPMAva@kolumbus.fi> wrote:
> // On 30 Aug 2005 03:16:14 -0700, "Erik Piper" wrote:
> //
> // >> What does "You feel troubled" mean? This is spell-effect, monster
> // >> gestures and that's that.
> // >
> // >Fake spell effects designed simply to make the player wonder what is
> // >happening. No, I'm not joking. The developers are eeeeevil! :)
> //
> // Bah, it's flavour.
>
> Actually, MS_CANTRIP was added for a reason other than flavour.
> It was added becuase a change in monster behaviour made orc
> priests far more dangerous (to the point that a character would
> need around 150 HP on average to go up against one, or have the
> skills of a high level character (who would also have the HP)).
> Simply put, it gives them something other to cast than smite and
> healing when they don't have LoS. It was added to be nice, not
> evil.
>
> Brent Ross

Oops... the "scaring the player" intention does exist in some monster
messages, though... what I really should have pointed at in that regard
was this bit at the top of mon_speaks() (and noted that **Boris's**
"you feel troubled" is an example of that)....

// This function is a little bit of a problem for the message
channels
// since some of the messages it generates are "fake" warning to
// scare the player. In order to accomidate this intent, we're
// falsely categorizing various things in the function as spells
and
// danger warning... everything else just goes into the talk
channel -- bwr

e.g. Boris:
case 7:
strcat(info, " stares at you.");
mpr(info, MSGCH_MONSTER_SPELL);
mpr("You feel troubled.", --> MSGCH_WARN <-- );
return (true);

....but it's most important from the psychological standpoint for more
frequently encountered monsters with less devastating obvious effects.
When I still knew nothing about what was going on, I was *glad* to see
it on Boris -- I figured if it *was* a spell, it couldn't be any worse
than his more obvious effects.

"Monster cantrips" still do have a psychological because the fact that
you don't know what's being done to you makes you worried that it's
something you *should* know. :) I can't imagine that there wasn't at
least some intent to add a little indirect evil to make up for the
direct evil being kindly removed. :)

<alpha_source_diving_sound_effects>I note that you've added zap
animations to make the cantrips even more realistic-feeling in the
alpha. 20% more evil! </alpha_source_diving_sound_effects>

All in all I've always appreciated both phenomena, especially after I
had at least some inkling of what was going on... it's cute, harmless,
and non-annoying. :)))

e.

On 30 Aug 2005 03:16:14 -0700, "Erik Piper" wrote:

>> What does "You feel troubled" mean? This is spell-effect, monster
>> gestures and that's that.
>
>Fake spell effects designed simply to make the player wonder what is
>happening. No, I'm not joking. The developers are eeeeevil! :)

Bah, it's flavour.

...now that you've discovered that, two more of such should be added.

Erik Piper wrote:
> Ilyak wrote:
>
>>==
>>The runed shield hits you!
>>The runed shield hits you but doesn't do any damage.
>>==
>>Why do some things hit me hard? :) Some sort of monster I guess?
>

> Yup, mimics.

Yes, and they tend to impersonate things like scrolls of aquirement,
potions of cure mutation, and "special" weapons and armour (Runed,
shiny, glowing, etc).