-Crawl- Continuing story of my idiot Dwarf...

Well after Nemelex's punishment left me in pandemonium I did several
levels of it. Never had a problem. Killed several uniques and found one
demonic rune. However did something *extremely* silly.

Walked over the rune after killing the unique and then headed for the
exit. Forgetting that you don't autopickup runes!

Oh well :) Next punishment sent me to the abyss which was utterly easy
to get out of (although took some time). Now have my distortion weapon
so I can control my Pan visits a bit more and am looking to complete
the game as thoroughly as time and my rations allow.

Have to say the whole "good for the strong" seems a bit pointless. I'm
still offing demons with my 27 maces and flails skill with no
difficulty whatsoever despite having my strength and Int switched. And
having such a mega high int really helps on the support spells! Not
sure what I should consider learning. Wanna keep my mace as attack
spell and consider whatother utility spells I can muster.

How do I find out if Nemelex's punishments are over? Think I'll do the
slime pits next, or maybe tomb. Hells and pan await, although after my
first trip to pan being so survivable I suspect I'll die along the way
to overconfidence:

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Basher the Skullcrusher

Race : Mountain Dwarf Res.Fire : + + + See Invis. : +
Class : Fighter Res.Cold : . . . Warding : .
\\Ooops! Forgot I had a resist cold hole... Best do something about
that before the cold hells.
Worship : Elyvilon Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
Level : 26 Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
Exp : 1032643 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
\\Have the spell for res electric. Have a gourmand amulet stashed but
don't really seem to need it.
Next Level : 1102399
Exp Needed : 69756 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Spls.Left : 2 Res.Mut. : + Ctrl.Telep.: .
Gold : 1088 Res.Slow : . Levitation : .
Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
HP : 236
MP : 39
Str : 14 Weapon : +7,+4 elf great flail (flame)
Int : 47 (48) Armour : +1 leather armour of the Tortoise
Dex : 11 Shield :
AC : 21 Helmet : +2 helmet (curse)
Evasion : 17 Cloak : +2 elf cloak (R-magic)
Shield : 0 Gloves : +2 pair of gloves of the Loofah
Boots : +1 pair of boots (stealth)
Play time : 1, 09:08:20 Amulet : amulet of resist mutation
Turns : 152475 Ring : ring "Yq Diguciw Pad"
Ring : ring "F Rclzxaaariby"

You are in the Vaults.
You worship Elyvilon.
Elyvilon is most pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +7,+4 elven great flail of flaming (weapon)
Armour
h - a cursed +2 helmet (worn)
k - the +1 leather armour of the Tortoise (worn)
It affects your strength (+2).
It affects your intelligence (+3).
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+4).
It greatly protects you from fire.

p - a +2 elven cloak of magic resistance (worn)
F - a +1 pair of boots of stealth (worn)
M - the +2 pair of gloves of the Loofah (worn)
It affects your strength (+2).

Magical devices
g - a wand of teleportation (5)
i - a wand of cold (3)
s - a wand of lightning (3)
u - a wand of hasting (7)
v - a wand of fireball
E - a wand of fire (8)
N - a wand of draining
Comestibles
t - 3 bread rations
C - 7 royal jellies
Scrolls
w - 5 scrolls of identify
x - 2 scrolls of recharging
G - 3 scrolls of remove curse
H - 3 scrolls of teleportation
Jewellery
e - a ring of teleport control
j - the amulet of Yqovihe
This amulet protects its wearer from some magically induced forms of

slowness, and increases the duration of enchantments which speed his
or her
actions.
It affects your accuracy (+2).

l - a +0,+5 ring of slaying
B - the ring "F Rclzxaaariby" (left hand)
This ring allows its wearer to see those things hidden from view by
magic.
It affects your AC (+6).
It affects your intelligence (+3).
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+4).

K - a ring of levitation
L - an amulet of resist mutation (around neck)
S - the ring "Yq Diguciw Pad" (right hand)
This ring provides energy to its wearer, so that they need eat less
often.
It affects your strength (+2).
It protects you from fire.

Potions
f - 2 potions of levitation
m - a potion of cure mutation
\\must remember to stash!
n - 2 potions of might
o - 4 potions of heal wounds
Magical staves
b - a rod of destruction
\\Fire
c - a staff of wizardry
\\Don't need this at the moment, stash...
z - a rod of destruction
\\Cold

You have 15 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 19 Fighting
* Level 27 Maces & Flails
- Level 2 Throwing
+ Level 14 Armour
+ Level 15 Dodging
- Level 3 Stealth
+ Level 2 Stabbing
- Level 3 Shields
+ Level 6 Traps & Doors
+ Level 9 Unarmed Combat
+ Level 5 Spellcasting
+ Level 11 Enchantments
+ Level 8 Air Magic
+ Level 19 Evocations

You have 2 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Corona Enchantment Excellent 1
b - Fire Brand Fire/Enchantment Excellent 2
c - Silence Air/Enchantment Excellent 3
d - Swiftness Air/Enchantment Excellent 2
e - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Excellent 2
f - Levitation Air/Enchantment Excellent 2
g - Insulation Air/Enchantment Great 4
h - Deflect Missiles Air/Enchantment Very Good 6
i - Berserker Rage Enchantment Excellent 3
j - Detect Creatures Divination Very Good 2
k - Haste Enchantment Very Good 6

Mutations & Other Weirdness
You can translocate small distances instantaneously.

Last Messages

a book of Charms
a book of Practical Magic
Drop which item?
You drop a book of Wizardry.

...........)....>..........######)
................................))
...................)......).......
########...)............)########
........#.................#==.=?\#
........#..........)......'=+[+[\#
........#...####+##+#.....#++/\.}#
........#...#/\[!@)=#.....#++[\\!#
........#...#:=?==:?#.....#+++../#
........#...#[[["":[#..)..#?/!!).#
########...#[=/=::=#...).#####'##
............#######'#%............
..................[.).............
.............)....................
.................).........)......

Vanquished Creatures
An ancient lich (Crypt:5)
Adolf (Crypt:5)
X Qumpr (Pan)
Teqykeceta (Pan)
Norris (D:25)
2 golden dragons
A Fiend (Pan)
2 golden dragons (shapeshifter)
3 acid blobs (Slime:1)
A titan (Vault:8)

Dafty wrote:

[...]
> How do I find out if Nemelex's punishments are over?
[...]

By the message "Nemelex seems mollified".

e.

> By the message "Nemelex seems mollified".

Strange choice of words when i've abandoned him for another god. I'm
not going to "mollify" him, just hope he eventually gets bored of
playing with me :)

Dafty wrote:
>Have to say the whole "good for the strong" seems a bit pointless. >I'm still offing demons with my 27 maces and flails skill with no
>difficulty whatsoever despite having my strength and Int switched.

If you had that 47 strength you would be doing even more damage, about
25-30 points extra I think. But with rings and armor adding damage, you
are probably doing more than 100 already, so it's not very noticable.
(I might of course be completely wrong on those numbers, but that would
be my guess, after looking at how melee damage is calculated on a
spoiler site ;)

Dafty wrote:
> > By the message "Nemelex seems mollified".
>
> Strange choice of words when i've abandoned him for another god. I'm
> not going to "mollify" him, just hope he eventually gets bored of
> playing with me :)

He's angry because of the abandonment, and over time the acts of him
punishing you mollify him. Basically when a god gets pissed off, s/he
gets his jollies to work off his anger towards you until s/he cools
down (largely or entirely because of the punishments themselves) and
decides that there's no point/benefit in picking on you any more. Not
*so* strange. Well, except for Xom. I can't really imagine Xom suddenly
starting to care about you enough to be angry just because you
abandoned It. I can't imagine Xom caring about you, period.

Anything that normally increases piety also decreases penance if you're
serving any (instead of increasing piety), but since you can't increase
piety towards a god you're not worshipping, that particular point is
moot.

e.

I completed the slime pits (easy) and started on the Tomb. Forgot a bit
how scary the Tomb can get so very very quickly! Even the first level
was *FAR* more scary than the several levels of pandemonium I already
faced! Anyway didn't find much of use, think i'm going to go play in
Hell before going back for the Tomb rune. Need to decide what to do
about cold resistance... my stashed gold dragon armour is just going to
be too heavy I fear, plus I like being able to easily cast my spells...

Rich