Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

YAPC: Where to go next?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 31, 2005 8:06:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

I have got a character:

==
Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Oozer the Brawler (Sludge Elf)
(Level 21 Transmuter)

Play time: 17:36:39 Number of turns: 70356

Experience : 21/452473
Strength 22 Dexterity 17 Intelligence 27
// Str+10 because of transform

Hit Points : 228 Magic Points : 39
//HP*1.5 because of transform.

AC : 10 Evasion : 14 Shield : 0
GP : 2051

You are in the Vaults.
You worship Okawaru.
//Not a typical mage?

Okawaru is exalted by your worship.
You are full.

You are a fearsome dragon!
//Aargh Aargh

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - the uncursed scimitar of Honesty
It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.
It lets you turn invisible.
//Chunking weapon

b - the uncursed crossbow of Freedom
It affects your AC (+5).
It affects your intelligence (-2).
It enhances your eyesight.
//See invisible; was used 1 or 2 times

Armour
c - the +1 helmet "Inyxy"
It affects your evasion (+5).
It protects you from cold.

f - a +2 cloak of poison resistance
k - the +3 pair of boots of Indemnity

l - a +3 leather armour of fire resistance
w - a robe
A - a +0 pair of gloves of dexterity
S - the +3 robe of Gegibol
It affects your dexterity (+4).
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+3).
//Nothing better found, yet. Also,

Magical devices
g - a wand of teleportation (6)
n - a wand of paralysis
t - a wand of fireball
x - a wand of polymorph other
E - a wand of fire
I - a crooked wooden wand
R - a wand of frost
T - a wand of lightning (4)
Comestibles
i - 8 meat rations
r - 5 pears
y - an apricot
Scrolls
d - a scroll of noise
j - 2 scrolls of remove curse
u - a scroll of blinking
v - 2 scrolls of teleportation
F - a scroll of detect curse
//Have something like 5 ?oEWI, ?oEWII, ?oEWIII scrolls scattered
around. Don't know
//what do with them, thought.
Jewellery
e - an amulet of clarity
h - an amulet of conservation
m - a +6 ring of dexterity
B - a ring of protection from magic
C - an amulet of resist mutation (around neck)
D - an amulet of warding
G - an amulet of the gourmand
H - an uncursed emerald ring
J - the ring "Bfrxtshchaaa" (right hand)
This ring brings its wearer more in contact with the powers of fire.
He or
she gains resistance to heat and can use fire magic more
effectively, but
becomes more vulnerable to the effects of cold.
//Thus allowing to cast Dragon Form

M - an uncursed ring of wizardry
O - a ring of life protection
Q - a +5 ring of intelligence (left hand)
//Some spell power, too. And nothing much better.

Potions
//Shame it's very hard to find and/or distill confusion at this stage
of game, it's helpful
o - a potion of speed
q - 5 potions of restore abilities
s - 2 potions of poison
z - 2 potions of mutation
N - 3 potions of levitation
X - a potion of strong poison
Magical staves
P - a staff of conjuration
//Never in fact used


You have 2644 experience left.

Skills:
//I am a REAL fighter/mage

+ Level 12 Fighting
+ Level 4 Bows
- Level 1 Darts
+ Level 6 Throwing
//Used some bows to get rid of jellies near D:7. No use after that.
//Throwing exercised by Evaporate.

+ Level 15 Dodging
+ Level 8 Stealth
- Level 3 Stabbing
- Level 20 Unarmed Combat
//Half fighter.
//Unarmed is turned out to get level in fighting. I need HPs.

+ Level 12 Spellcasting
+ Level 6 Conjurations
- Level 2 Necromancy
+ Level 3 Translocations
+ Level 17 Transmigration
- Level 5 Divinations
+ Level 11 Fire Magic
+ Level 3 Earth Magic
//Half mage.
//Going to do more fire conjurations, thought. What spell should I
take? I have book of
//Flames stashed somewhere

+ Level 9 Invocations
//Haste rules. If not that Haste I would be dead a looong ago.

+ Level 3 Evocations


You have 8 spell levels left.
//Never really lacked them
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Fulsome Distillation Transmigration/NecromancyExcellent 1
b - Evaporate Fire/Transmigration Perfect 2
//Awesome

c - Blade Hands Transmigration Excellent 5
//Found two =oWizardry near D:7, was able to cast this one.
//This is my main battle spell, it tears apart everything I met so far,
except hydras

d - Detect Creatures Divination Great 2
e - Statue Form Earth/Transmigration Very Good 6
//Never ever used that. Could not cast it on lower levels, and on
higher never needed it
//because Blade Hands are so damn kick butt.
//But don't have selective amnesia.

f - Detect Traps Divination Great 2
g - Blink Translocation Great 2
//Use infrequently

h - Sticky Flame Fire/Conjuration Excellent 4
//Killing Hydras, frightened animals and so on.
//Want to get more powerful spell, thought.

i - Magic Mapping Earth/Divination Very Good 4
//Few divinations are indeed helpful.

j - Dragon Form Fire/Transmigration Great 8
//Was able to cast that after getting randart =oFire.
//Got excited, but Dragon have low AC (~10), low EV(~14), so for now I
use it infrequently.
//Time to time.
//Also no armour means less resistances, leaving himself without any
cond resistance, which
//is nonplus.

Mutations & Other Weirdness
Your muscles are strong (Str +1).
Your flesh is cold resistant.
You are resistant to magic.
//Some potion drinking
==
So, where should I go now? I've cleared out Orc, Elf down to 4 (foung
=oPoisonResistance here, had absolutely no problems in fact), Lair,
Swamp, Dungeon to 21 (things got hairy there), Valuts to 5 or 6 (I
constantly get kicked seriously there, really waiting for problems.
Killed Boris there, thought.

Where should I go? I need third rune, as well as I need equipment
better than that one I have. I can't go Vaults:8 because I have no
electricity resistance, and anyway I get my ass kicked even on
Vaults:any.
Should I go Elven Halls? It's pretty easy so far, but I'm seriously
afraid of "Crystal Spear and a couple of summoned type '1' demons"...

Or, maybe, I should carefully clear Crypt (eh)? Finish Vaults? Maybe
even Slime Pit? (With Dragon Form - no worn armour, no weapon for them
to corrode, only thing I afraid is Azure Jellies because Dragon have
not got cold resistance. Maybe find a ring? I might have one in stash.

Thanx for advices and general comments on this character.

P.S. How would I get character dumps with list of vanished monsters and
a screenshot?

More about : yapc

Anonymous
a b α HP
August 31, 2005 6:39:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Ilyak wrote:
<snip because I am way unqualified to comment on transmuters>
> P.S. How would I get character dumps with list of vanished monsters and
> a screenshot?
>

Get Darshan's travel patch. Read the patch notes. It makes Crawl more
convenient, more fun, and character dumps are more impressive with it.

I don't know whether savegames are compatible, but that's easy to try.

It can be found here: http://www.angelfire.com/trek/mazewest/
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 31, 2005 7:30:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

In article <1125486377.546669.109010@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Ilyak <ilya.kasnacheev@gmail.com> wrote:
>I have got a character:
>
>==
> Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.
>
>Oozer the Brawler (Sludge Elf)
>(Level 21 Transmuter)

[snip]
>You are a fearsome dragon!
>//Aargh Aargh

Trogdor!

[snip]
> c - the +1 helmet "Inyxy"
> It affects your evasion (+5).
> It protects you from cold.

Ooo! Neat!

[snip]
> + Level 12 Spellcasting
> + Level 6 Conjurations
> - Level 2 Necromancy
> + Level 3 Translocations
> + Level 17 Transmigration
> - Level 5 Divinations
> + Level 11 Fire Magic
> + Level 3 Earth Magic
>//Half mage.
>//Going to do more fire conjurations, thought. What spell should I
>take? I have book of
>//Flames stashed somewhere

Bolt of Fire is the "obvious" choice, but it may be awkward to cast with
your skills (and I don't recall it being in Flames). OTOH, Throw Flame
isn't going to be useful later on.

> Mutations & Other Weirdness
>Your muscles are strong (Str +1).
>Your flesh is cold resistant.
>You are resistant to magic.
>//Some potion drinking

Nice mutations.

>==
>So, where should I go now? I've cleared out Orc, Elf down to 4 (foung
>=oPoisonResistance here, had absolutely no problems in fact), Lair,
>Swamp, Dungeon to 21 (things got hairy there), Valuts to 5 or 6 (I
>constantly get kicked seriously there, really waiting for problems.
>Killed Boris there, thought.

I assume that Lair includes Snake Pit, due to the "third rune" comment
below. You should be able to clear the Halls down through 6; the
question is whether it's worth the effort if you don't plan to do level
7 immediately after that.

You could certainly try the Crypt. Curse skulls are nasty (as I seem to
recall you are aware), and I must amend my earlier comment about there
not being anything else nasty there (since my last character ran into a
skeletal dragon). If you don't actually fight curse skulls, though, the
Crypt doesn't really have the "summon, summon, wham! you're dead"
quality that the Halls can, sometimes.

What's giving you grief in the Vaults?

>Should I go Elven Halls? It's pretty easy so far, but I'm seriously
>afraid of "Crystal Spear and a couple of summoned type '1' demons"...

Evasion does help with crystal spear, though I'm not sure what your
dodging chances are like with an Ev of 14. My sense of when I'm "beefy
enough" for Elf:7 is pretty ill-defined, though; I've only finished it
once.

When in doubt, remember that it's much better to run for your life just
*before* the situation gets out of control :-)

-Andrew ()
Related resources
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 1, 2005 10:28:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Andrew Patrick Schoonmaker писал(а):

> [snip]
> > + Level 12 Spellcasting
> > + Level 6 Conjurations
> > - Level 2 Necromancy
> > + Level 3 Translocations
> > + Level 17 Transmigration
> > - Level 5 Divinations
> > + Level 11 Fire Magic
> > + Level 3 Earth Magic
> >//Half mage.
> >//Going to do more fire conjurations, thought. What spell should I
> >take? I have book of
> >//Flames stashed somewhere
> Bolt of Fire is the "obvious" choice, but it may be awkward to cast with
> your skills (and I don't recall it being in Flames). OTOH, Throw Flame
> isn't going to be useful later on.
Ok, I will consider. By the way, SF is still useful on vaults:7 as
support spell.

> >==
> >So, where should I go now? I've cleared out Orc, Elf down to 4 (foung
> >=oPoisonResistance here, had absolutely no problems in fact), Lair,
> >Swamp, Dungeon to 21 (things got hairy there), Valuts to 5 or 6 (I
> >constantly get kicked seriously there, really waiting for problems.
> >Killed Boris there, thought.
> I assume that Lair includes Snake Pit, due to the "third rune" comment
> below.
Yes.

> You should be able to clear the Halls down through 6; the
> question is whether it's worth the effort if you don't plan to do level
> 7 immediately after that.
That is.

> You could certainly try the Crypt. Curse skulls are nasty (as I seem to
> recall you are aware), and I must amend my earlier comment about there
> not being anything else nasty there (since my last character ran into a
> skeletal dragon). If you don't actually fight curse skulls, though, the
> Crypt doesn't really have the "summon, summon, wham! you're dead"
> quality that the Halls can, sometimes.
OK. I will try.

I'm somewhat prepared to summons, btw, because I hit fast and kill
nasty.

> What's giving you grief in the Vaults?
Yaktaurs :-/ Captains, for sure. When they are aplenty, with support of
other monsters like Ogre Mages, and I'm caught in a field and not
careful enough, they beat me hard.

In fact, now I remember I has had much trouble, but fail to remember -
in which sutuations.

> >Should I go Elven Halls? It's pretty easy so far, but I'm seriously
> >afraid of "Crystal Spear and a couple of summoned type '1' demons"...
> Evasion does help with crystal spear, though I'm not sure what your
> dodging chances are like with an Ev of 14. My sense of when I'm "beefy
Well, my evasion in "elf form" is 22, with AC of 13.

> When in doubt, remember that it's much better to run for your life just
> *before* the situation gets out of control :-)
It's hard for me, unfortunately.


With which character on what level did you beat EH?
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 2, 2005 12:42:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

In article <1125581316.462763.220600@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Ilyak <ilya.kasnacheev@gmail.com> wrote:
>Andrew Patrick Schoonmaker =D0=BF=D0=B8=D1=81=D0=B0=D0=BB(=D0=B0):
>> >Should I go Elven Halls? It's pretty easy so far, but I'm seriously
>> >afraid of "Crystal Spear and a couple of summoned type '1' demons"...
>> Evasion does help with crystal spear, though I'm not sure what your
>> dodging chances are like with an Ev of 14. My sense of when I'm "beefy
>Well, my evasion in "elf form" is 22, with AC of 13.
>
>> When in doubt, remember that it's much better to run for your life just
>> *before* the situation gets out of control :-)
>It's hard for me, unfortunately.
>
>With which character on what level did you beat EH?

With the winner just recently posted. I want to say he was level 22,
but he might have been 23 or 24 (I don't have the dump from just after
the Halls around to check ATM, unfortunately). EV lower than yours; AC
in the low 20s from Oz's Armor, plus a shield; offense consisting of a
blowgun, a +4 crossbow, and a +5 short sword of electrocution, plus
berserking. Had to run from an Executioner summoned by a demonologist,
and I won't say I was wiping the floor with everything else in there,
but I don't recall getting *hit* with any of the nasty unresistable
spells.

My best shot at a HuNe got killed on Elf:7 after Blue and Green Deaths
got summoned, though (that was also my first time on Elf:7).

-Andrew (who notes that when they say to watch out for the fixed-layout
portion of the level, they mean it :-)
!