OMG!! P4 1.7GHZ @ 2.8GHz!!!

G

Considering that MHz is no loner a issue

.. yawn

--I too come from a distinguished line, "his cousin's an electric shaver"-- Tbirdinside

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd like to see more details... after all, the screenshots are easily editable, sadly, and I don't have a clue what they are saying except that liquid nitrogen was involved (and pretty crudely at that)

a whole extra Ghz seems... iffy....
Possible... but iffy...

I'd wait for confirmation before I trust it too much...

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Funny how AMD lemming change their toon when something AMD cannot touch becomes trivial. Yet they live every waking moment trying to make their machine go faster.

Go figure,

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Mr Oda - if he wanders through, would know since he has a register key on the output screen to verify data.

There isn't much to read, even if you can translate it, although the guy is saying he was dissapointed that the thing wasn't as fast as he wanted through superpi (reckons the L2 cache is crap) and admits others were right when they said it wouldn't get to 3ghz.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

I smell fear... sniff sniff oh sh*t its my gamming buddies Athlon. Oh well hes got money to spare. You have been forewarned!!!

SPUDMUFFIN

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

dhlucke

Polypheme
AMDMELTDOWN, I didn't check your link, but I'm going to assume that it's the same processor(s) that I've seen stats on. It looks really cool and all (i'm impressed), but how practical is a computer that needs to be cooled by dryice or liquid nitrogen? I suppose that if I worked at a university and had easy access to this stuff I would do it, but seriously...

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm impressed. Really.

Intel now has a processor that will finally run head to head with a 1.33Ghz Athlon, overclocked to 1.5Ghz.

Bet it's price/performance ration beats the Athlon as well!

Give up on the P4. It's an abomination, a mistake. Wait for Intel to do something good, then crow. I'll crow with you, as I need Intel stock to get back where it belongs.

For your own sake, stop belittling yourself by praising the P4.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

hes using a "Video Card : CREATIVE RIVATNT 16MB PCI"
LOL this is sad!!!!! i know why! his agp port is way out of spec and no card can handle the high agp speeds! also hes using *frozen* nitrogen and it boils in the metal container which sits on the comp chillin to -175c or -265f! man if you get a finger near the LN it will freeze your whole arm. the vapor can kill yer lungs. there will be tons of super condensation!

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
That's awesome, but now we need some benchmarks. Not any of that Winmark stuff either. How about a unit time for seti packets? Or even fps on quake3, low res.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Yes, both the P4 and T-bird have great overclocking numbers if you make the extravagant preparations. These aren't practical or even worth my time. You would really need an unlimited supply of supercooling liquid nitrogen or dry ice to do it, and that is realistically ridiculous. Anyone who is willing to take the time, money, and energy to set up a rig like this for USE would DEFINITELY just buy a more powerful computer or a cluster or something. These numbers are just for show imop.

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have to agree, this [-peep-] gets old, coming from Fugger, Spud and Cyberimage, but it gets old from you as well.
Rise above their level and get on with your life.
Their 15 year olds talking trash.
bfd.
anyone with an iota of maturity(sp) would quit this endless AMD/Intel bickering.

----------------------
why, oh WHY, is the world run by morons?

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thats a whole lot of very overclocked athlons. personally, even though i am an "amd lemming" i think its cool that someone overclocked a p4 to 2.8ghz. maybe it can push almost as much data as a G4 processor, hehe

If I knew how to write, I would put a signature right here--->

G

I gotta admit, that is pretty cool. With that kind of frequency there's no doubt it's performance has overtaken a VIA C3.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
trying not to flame anyone :), but I noticed that you pups just can't stand to hear anything positive news regarding Intel.

well, get used to it because thats how's gonna be from now on. hehehehe.

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

dhlucke

Polypheme
hey now. Regardless of whether it's the super OC'd intel or AMD, it's just not practical.

What good is a supersonic car if it can only drive underwater using 245 octane fuel?

Pablo Picasso

G

I have one of those they are great. Chicks really dig it :)

SPUDMUFFIN

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
F*** you. you don't even know if he likes AMD or hates it. F*** you is all I can say.

I was going to post somehting positive, express my true feelings, but now I feel inclined not to.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thank you griz. you would think that after all the amd fans that HAVE posted positive comments on this thread, that meltdown might, just might have be surprised. but he managed to ignore every single positive comment, and read ONLY the few negative ones.
and wusy, let me know when you have a x86 cpu that can pull gigaflops performance. they may have cheated, but then again what do you call double- and quad-pumping cpu bus speeds?

If I knew how to write, I would put a signature right here--->

ClancyDK

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
At least the hughe price for a p4 1.7 G is nothing to talk about compared to the price for N(l) and the cooling(compression) of this. LOL This should be a pleasant thing for Intel Marketing i guess...
Well, if you really needed to calculate things like Big Bang and the expansion of space, you would either build a dual p4 system (or dual Athlon) or simply wait for Quantum-computers to arrive... (In the long run, I actually think a quantum PC is way cheaper than having a processor cooled by liquid Nitrogen.)

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
hey, LN is cheap! I can get a tank for 7.95. (unfortunately it's the tank itself that costs $700).

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i've been gone for a while, i forgot how much fun you were meltdown.

At the core of every system: "I'm sorry dave, i'm afraid i can't do that."