Microsoft wireless kit (MN 700; MN 720) problem

I have a Microsoft wireless internet access kit set-up in my apartment to
access the internet. I have a MN 700 base station and MN 720 wireless access
card. Both meet the 802.11g standards. I have setup a small home network to
share the internet access between two laptops. Both the laptops have same
wireless access card (MN 720). I have been having lot of problems in
accessing the internet.

I cannot remain connected to the internet more then one hour continuously.
After every 30 minutes or so i have to actually disconnect the power supply
for the base station to reset the base station. I tried chaging the security
key authentication to a 16 bit and also tried turning security off
completely. I then tried changing the channel for my wireless netwrok as it
could interfere with neighbouring cordless phones. I tried channel 3,6,9,4.
All of them gave the same result. And they cause the same trouble on both
the laptops. Both laptops are running Microsoft windows XP home edition. I
am really frustrated with the current problem. Every half hour or so go and
reset the base station , how ridiculous? I think i was better of buying a
wired router rather then going wireless but i already invested my money and
now i am stuck. Can somebody help me ???????

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I was experiencing frequent drops from my wireless also.
Followed the suggestion on page 42 in the MN-700 users
guide to disable 802.1x authentication in Windows XP.
Problem solved!

drew

Actually its on page 30 of the manual. But here is what
it says:

I can't stay connected to my wireless network.

If you are running Windows XP operating system with
Service Pack 1, you might lose connection to your
wireless network every 3 to 5 mins. This can be caused by
incorrect wireless network security settings. To solve
this problem, you need to disable 802.1x authentication
on your wireless network, as described below.

To disable 802.1x authentication in the Win XP O/S

1. click start, point to connect to, click show all
connections, and then double click your wireless network.

2. on the general tab, click properties

3. click the wireless networks tab.

4. under preferred networks, click your home network, and
then click properties (THIS IS MY ADDITION: make sure to
check the box beside: use windows to configure my
wireless network settings. If you do not, you can not
access the preferred networks properties anyhow...how
silly.)

5. click the authentication tab, and then click to clear
the enable ieee 802.1x authentication for this network
check box, if its selected.

6. if you cannot click this check box, then you are not
using 802.1x authentication or wireless security.

Anyhow, it worked for me on Win XP Pro with SP2
installed...

Thanks for the lead in the firstplace.

--
Drew