Microsoft wireless kit (MN 700; MN 720) problem

I have a Microsoft wireless internet access kit set-up in my apartment to
access the internet. I have a MN 700 base station and MN 720 wireless access
card. Both meet the 802.11g standards. I have setup a small home network to
share the internet access between two laptops. Both the laptops have same
wireless access card (MN 720). I have been having lot of problems in
accessing the internet.

I cannot remain connected to the internet more then one hour continuously.
After every 30 minutes or so i have to actually disconnect the power supply
for the base station to reset the base station. I tried chaging the security
key authentication to a 16 bit and also tried turning security off
completely. I then tried changing the channel for my wireless netwrok as it
could interfere with neighbouring cordless phones. I tried channel 3,6,9,4.
All of them gave the same result. And they cause the same trouble on both
the laptops. Both laptops are running Microsoft windows XP home edition. I
am really frustrated with the current problem. Every half hour or so go and
reset the base station , how ridiculous? I think i was better of buying a
wired router rather then going wireless but i already invested my money and
now i am stuck. Can somebody help me ???????
2 answers Last reply
More about microsoft wireless problem

    I was experiencing frequent drops from my wireless also.
    Followed the suggestion on page 42 in the MN-700 users
    guide to disable 802.1x authentication in Windows XP.
    Problem solved!

    Actually its on page 30 of the manual. But here is what
    it says:

    I can't stay connected to my wireless network.

    If you are running Windows XP operating system with
    Service Pack 1, you might lose connection to your
    wireless network every 3 to 5 mins. This can be caused by
    incorrect wireless network security settings. To solve
    this problem, you need to disable 802.1x authentication
    on your wireless network, as described below.

    To disable 802.1x authentication in the Win XP O/S

    1. click start, point to connect to, click show all
    connections, and then double click your wireless network.

    2. on the general tab, click properties

    3. click the wireless networks tab.

    4. under preferred networks, click your home network, and
    then click properties (THIS IS MY ADDITION: make sure to
    check the box beside: use windows to configure my
    wireless network settings. If you do not, you can not
    access the preferred networks properties anyhow...how
    silly.)

    5. click the authentication tab, and then click to clear
    the enable ieee 802.1x authentication for this network
    check box, if its selected.

    6. if you cannot click this check box, then you are not
    using 802.1x authentication or wireless security.

    Anyhow, it worked for me on Win XP Pro with SP2
    installed...

    Thanks for the lead in the firstplace.

    --
    Drew