Sign in with
Your question

Install a 32-bit Windows 7 OS to a 64-bit Laptop

Last response: in Windows 7
May 6, 2010 4:35:37 AM

Hello,
As the title says, that's what I would like to find out. I have searched the forums so yeah this is my last resort. Thanks :)  (For those who want to help)
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
May 6, 2010 4:44:00 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Ur question isn't very clear for me.

If u want install a 32 bit OS in a laptop that comes with x64 bits from the manufacturer, yeah, u can do it without problems. But be sure that u have a back up of all your files.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
May 6, 2010 5:10:36 AM

Yes it is a bit unclear what you want to do.
Asuming you mean that you are currently running a 64 bit version of Vista or XP, then yes you can install Windows 7 32 bit, but it will have to be a clean install, an inplace upgrade is not possible in this instance.
If however you are refering to the laptop being 64 bit capable, that is different alltogether and could have a 32 bit OS installed on it.
You will need to clarify if you need more help.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 6, 2010 7:27:56 AM

Please explain what you mean by 64-bit laptop.
m
l
May 6, 2010 8:16:41 AM

CJBS said:
Hello,
As the title says, that's what I would like to find out. I have searched the forums so yeah this is my last resort. Thanks :)  (For those who want to help)

You really have a 32 bit CPU in that laptop, with some 64 bit extensions (for memory utilization and a few other bits...). So if you don't need or plan to use more than ~3.2 GB RAM, no worries. (Unless you have a sparc, PPC, or Itanium RISC chip, then you will need the appropriate OS for that processor...)
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
May 6, 2010 8:36:44 AM

croc said:
You really have a 32 bit CPU in that laptop, with some 64 bit extensions

Oh please - not that old wive's tale again! The x64 is a true 64-bit processor. That argument has been done to death.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
May 6, 2010 7:53:24 PM

What a load of old croc, most cpu's from the last few years starting from when the Athlon 64 appeared are x64 chips.

As for the o/s, I would always go for x64 version, will run fine on 2GB of ram and allow you to do a painfree memory upgrade in the future without reinstalling.
m
l
June 18, 2011 9:00:22 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Please explain what you mean by 64-bit laptop.

previous windows7 was 64 bit
i am having 32 bit win7 dvd
can i install it.

what is the meaning of i386 & i686
m
l
!