Your question

Please help me decide on a system!

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2001 12:43:47 AM

Hey, I'm planning on building/buying (I'm still not sure if I want to build myself or if I'm going to get a store to do it) a new system. Anyway, I'm not exactly a genius when it comes to computers, so I would appreciate any input. This is what I'm considering right now:

CPU: AMD Thunder Bird 1333 Mhz Athlon-C CPU 266 Mhz FSB
Motherboard: MSI K7T266 Pro MS-6380
RAM: Crucial 256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
HDD: IBM Deskstar 75GXP DTLA-307045 46.11GB Ultra ATA/100 7200 RPM

For the video card, I will most likely get a GeForce 2, although I'm not sure if I should get an MX or an Ultra (MX in anticipation of a GeForce 3 purchase later in the year; Ultra if I decide to hold out on the GeForce 3 for a long while). As for the sound card, I'm not sure if I want to get the Hercules Game Theater XP or just buy some cheap one. I think I'm going to pick up a cheap DVD drive as my main reader, CDRW.

For the sake of my wallet, I may drop down the speed of the CPU to 1000 Mhz or 1200 Mhz (still Athlon-C though). Is there a significant difference between the older Athlon-C chips and the more recently released 1300 Mhz and 1333 Mhz chips? Also, what's the latest outlook on the Pentium 4?

I will be using this computer for Internet, gaming, and graphic design. I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks for your time.

More about : decide system

April 1, 2001 4:29:53 AM

GeForce3 would be nice not only about performance but for additional features especially the full compliance with DX8 1.1. You've got a very good processor there, but if you could wait, you can get a cooler running AMD Palomino which allows you to squeeze out more juice (for certain it will cost a whole bunch).

Sound cards if you are not into sound recording stuff a SBLive! Value would do just fine. Pentium 4 is a good processor BUT at a price too high. The price would drop later on, but, for now, I would go for Athlon.

------------------
This site is cool.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2001 11:16:41 PM

In the spirit of the recent "building a new computer" threads... *bump!*
Related resources
April 4, 2001 12:03:52 AM

I'd think about going ahead and buying the RAM, I just ordered 256meg from Crucial on Monday for around $100. I can't see it getting much lower... of course if it does I'm buying more :lol:  .
I'd go with the G2 Ultra but wait till the G3 is out so the price will be lower.
SB X-gamer is a good sound card and has done well for me.

"Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it."
April 4, 2001 1:00:35 AM

Go with a ALi magik 1 chipset. Its more stable then a Via chipset.

remember VIA = 50% of all the Athlons problems.
also
remember ALi = 10% of all the Athlons problems.

!!! Leader of the Anti-via army !!!
!