Decent gaming laptop for ~$1200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joules

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I am looking at getting a laptop in a month or so. I will be using it for college and may do some programming on it, but I would like it to have some good gaming punch

1. What is your budget? ~$1200 (give or take $100)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.4-15.6

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1680x1050 or higher (16x10 preferred, but only as a bonus)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement, but decent portability

5. How much battery life do you need? ~3 hours, 2 would be alright.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Mass Effect 2, medium-high, SC2 high-ultra, and future games medium-high settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) It should have a decent proc b/c I may need it for school, but mostly surfing the web and games.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? over 80 GB, I don't have much stuff

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. I have looked around a bit on xoticpc.com, and I like the sager notebooks. I also liked the MSI gx640.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 4-6 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? dvd RW is all I need

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. No real preferences as to brand. I don't want an overly flashy laptop like alienware, though.

13. What country do you live in? US

My main question is if holding off for two months would bring the next round of AMD video cards, and whether I should even be thinking about that. I would just rather not buy a laptop with a graphics card that is replaced @ the same price or close by next-gen soon after. I realize that there is always that sort of situation, but I do know that the 6xxx series may come out by then.

Thank you for your time!

WindowsTeam_Kevin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Hey! I'd suggest Alienware M15x at $1200.

It has high-definition, blazing-fast graphics. The Intel® Core™ i7 processor features technologies that boost performance for your gaming, multimedia applications, and daily tasks at the same time. I think it packs a lot of punch. Should be more than enough for what you're trying to do. Here are some more specs:

Screen
15.6" (1600x900) HD
Processor
2.4 GHz Intel® Core™ I3 370M
RAM
4 GB DDR3 1066 MHz
Storage
256 GB HDD 7200 RPM

What do you think?

Kevin
Windows Outreach Team

Joules

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Cloudy2010
I really like the build quality of lenovos, but unfortunately they are ruled out b/c they don't have good enough gpus.

And to Maziar...I really am tempted by the sager. I am pretty sure that is what I will get, and I read some about it. Apparently they are somewhat upgradeable, so maybe I can upgrade the gpu eventually.

Kevin...thanks for the suggestion, but I want a laptop that has a subdued aesthetic, but still with graphical power. If that wasn't the case, I probably would have gone with alienware in the first place.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS