Three screens? One big screen? I'm screeming!

NoviceNob

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hello all. First I would like to thank you for all future comments, opinions and recommendations. :)

I will be building a $2,000 (about) computer in December most likely. I am waiting for the new AMD Radeon 7000 graphic cards to come out. That $2,000 will be just for the computer components and not peripherals, and not for the monitors.

The computer will be for movies and gaming; BF3 and MW3, not on max settings but not on the lowest either. I watch about 30 movies a week through Netflix.

My questions are:

1. With a 3 monitor system, when I am not playing games, can the screens be easily switched back when I want to play a game?

2. Can I use the screens individually, one on the net, one on a Word Doc, etc. at the same time?

2. Somehow can I hook up a 46 inch TV to the computer or just the modem and use the 3 monitors at the same time the TV is showing a movie? Hope that makes sense.

Thank you again for your time and have a great day.

:)

Solution
1. Don't know since I don't have Eyefinity.

2. Yep. It's called extended desktop.

3. Nope. Radeon HD video cards that supports Eyefinity can only support up to three monitors. However, there are Radeon HD cards that can connect up to 6 monitors, but those versions are relatively expensive. If you merely want to use your HDTV as another screen and you don't intend on playing games, then you can buy a seperate low end video card just for the HDTV. That option will be less expensive than buyng a Radeon HD graphics card that can support 6 displays.

Also having more monitors connected to graphics card will decrease performance a little bit even if the monitor is turned off. Therefore, if you were to buy a Radeon HD that can support 6...
1. Don't know since I don't have Eyefinity.

2. Yep. It's called extended desktop.

3. Nope. Radeon HD video cards that supports Eyefinity can only support up to three monitors. However, there are Radeon HD cards that can connect up to 6 monitors, but those versions are relatively expensive. If you merely want to use your HDTV as another screen and you don't intend on playing games, then you can buy a seperate low end video card just for the HDTV. That option will be less expensive than buyng a Radeon HD graphics card that can support 6 displays.

Also having more monitors connected to graphics card will decrease performance a little bit even if the monitor is turned off. Therefore, if you were to buy a Radeon HD that can support 6 display Eyefinity and you connected your HDTV as a 4th display there will be a small performance penalty since the video card needs to render the graphics in the game for the 3 monitors and also render the desktop on the HDTV.

Solution

NoviceNob

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Thank you very much for the info jaguarskx. Even though I will have the new AMD Radeon 7000 graphic cards, I suspect I won't be able to do all the monitors. I did hear today though that many of the new TV's already come with Netflix and Hulu and all I have to do is plug the TV cable into the Modem (somehow as mine only has ONE Ethernet cable and that is used for the computer) and I will have Netflix and Hulu, completely circumventing the computer.

Have you heard of this?

Again, thank you for your time.

:)