XPS T Hard Drive Upgrade

I have an older Dimension XPS T system and one of the drives recently
crashed C:. I replaced it with a 200Gb drive. But after I formatted the new
drive, WinXP listed the drive at 127 Gb. I'm wondering what happened to the
other 73Gb? Possibly the BIOS can't handle it, not sure. Anyone know
anything about this?

--
Thanks,
Tony

    "Tony P." <noone@cork.adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >I have an older Dimension XPS T system and one of the drives recently
    > crashed C:. I replaced it with a 200Gb drive. But after I formatted the
    > new
    > drive, WinXP listed the drive at 127 Gb. I'm wondering what happened to
    > the
    > other 73Gb? Possibly the BIOS can't handle it, not sure. Anyone know
    > anything about this?

    buy a cheap ATA100 or 133 card. Disable the onboard IDE or set the BIOS to
    boot from a bootable addin card.

    --

    Rob

    A BIOS limitation is most likely. 132GB is the most popular BIOS hard disk
    limitation for Pentium III systems. 132GB or 127GB??? It depends on how you
    do the math. Micro$oft geeks tend to use 1024 or 1K in computations, rather
    than 1000. This is a leftover from the days when it was very time consuming to
    multiply or divide by 10 (or most other numbers), rather than shifting bits to
    multiply or divide by powers of 2. Old habits die hard. I mean, here were are
    with new systems running at 2+ GHz, and the speed of multiply and divide
    operations has gotten pretty quick... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:08:14 -0400, "Tony P." <noone@cork.adelphia.net> wrote:

    >I have an older Dimension XPS T system and one of the drives recently
    >crashed C:. I replaced it with a 200Gb drive. But after I formatted the new
    >drive, WinXP listed the drive at 127 Gb. I'm wondering what happened to the
    >other 73Gb? Possibly the BIOS can't handle it, not sure. Anyone know
    >anything about this?
    >
    >--
    >Thanks,
    >Tony
    >For replies, please correct my address.

    With the XPS T model you have encountered a limitation with the BIOS.
    To use the drive to it's full capacity just install an ATA Controller
    card which will run around $30 depending on the place of purchase.
    Once the card is installed put your hard drive(s) on the card and
    separate any CD devices on the motherboard controllers for better
    performance of those drives.

    "-Stephen-" <muskie@aol.com> wrote in message
    > With the XPS T model you have encountered a limitation with the BIOS.
    > To use the drive to it's full capacity just install an ATA Controller
    > card which will run around $30 depending on the place of purchase.
    > Once the card is installed put your hard drive(s) on the card and
    > separate any CD devices on the motherboard controllers for better
    > performance of those drives.

    www.promise.com

    Known issue documented everywhere - e.g.
    http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/137_win98.html

    "Tony P." <noone@cork.adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > I have an older Dimension XPS T system and one of the drives recently
    > crashed C:. I replaced it with a 200Gb drive. But after I formatted the
    new
    > drive, WinXP listed the drive at 127 Gb. I'm wondering what happened to
    the
    > other 73Gb? Possibly the BIOS can't handle it, not sure. Anyone know
    > anything about this?
    >
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > Tony
    > For replies, please correct my address.

    > "Tony P." <noone@cork.adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >>I have an older Dimension XPS T system and one of the drives recently
    >> crashed C:. I replaced it with a 200Gb drive. But after I formatted the
    >> new
    >> drive, WinXP listed the drive at 127 Gb. I'm wondering what happened to
    >> the
    >> other 73Gb? Possibly the BIOS can't handle it, not sure. Anyone know
    >> anything about this?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Thanks,
    >> Tony
    >> For replies, please correct my address.

    I'd invest in an IDE controller card for less than $50. The XPS T had
    options for promise ATA 100 cards from the factory, so it would seem only
    logical that a card (with it's own BIOS) would provide both the performance
    increase as well as drive capacity recognition you're looking for.

    Good luck

    Stew

Dell XPS Hard Drives Computers