Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading System Window 7 Question

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
May 6, 2010 5:51:36 AM

Hello,

I will be upgrading my computer in the near future. New Motherboard, processor, video card, and ram. I already have Windows 7 installed, but want to do a Fresh Install. My Copy of Windows 7 is the Retail Upgrade Version. I upgraded from an OEM Windows XP Media Center Edition. My question is, will I be able to simply boot from the Windows 7 Cd, format the hard drive, and do the Fresh Install? Or will this make my Windows 7 unable to be reactivated?

Thanks
a b $ Windows 7
May 6, 2010 4:58:37 PM

Hi crazedaku,

Since you are making significant changes to your system, you will most likely need to call Microsoft to re-activate Windows 7. The process should be pretty painless. This short tutorial will walk you through - http://bit.ly/activatebyphone.

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
Related resources
May 7, 2010 4:24:36 AM

This has been super painful so far. Error after error.

0xc0000005
0x00000050
0x77b21d1e
0xfffffff
0x00000019

I am running:

ASROCK M3770DE
AMD Athlon II X4 630
4gb Corsair XMS DDR3 1333
Saphire Radeon 1gb 5770

I cant get this thing to install. I get to the expanding Files portion and thats when i get most of the errors. I was able to install once, I think.... but it was asking me for a username and password, which i was unable to figure out what it wanted. I am currently installing my old windows xp media center edition and I will try to upgrade from there rather than doing a fresh install. I think i have bad install media for Windows 7, I originally did the install from a download. I'm not sure where to find a legit download for windows 7 at this point. I tried to copy the cd to a usb stick, but ran into the same problem as with the cd.

edit: That last part might seem confusing. I had purchased an upgrade through windows and ordered a backup cd. I think it would be considered the retail upgrade?
May 7, 2010 4:43:49 AM

Windows Xp Media Center Edition Installed with no problems.

Windows 7.... Same issues. I cant get this thing to install. I have a ticket with Windows Support, but ill have to wait untill business hours to talk to someone who can help me.

0xc00000005 Seems to be the error that is most common.

sigh.....
May 7, 2010 7:54:31 AM

Problem resolved I think.... bad stick of ram. Gonna run on 2gb untill i get rma processed. Lets see if i can activate this.
May 7, 2010 2:52:09 PM

Good for you for sticking with it. Was gonna say update BIOS but bad RAM. A lesson is to use as few components as you can when upgrading.
!