[Crawl] Compiling crawl under Linux

So, after reading about the RNG trouble under Windows, I decided to
install Linux (again) and get Crawl running under it. I went for Debian,
and installing Crawl is as easy as "apt-get install crawl".

But that's not good enough for me. I want Darshan's travel patch. Accept
no substitute. So I downloaded the source, the .diff, put the .diff in
the [crawldir]/source directory, and did "patch
<crawl-patches-20050729.diff" (which returned no errors). Then I did
"make". No luck.

I checked the "religion.cc" problem - it was nonexistent. Probably the
patch fixes this also, I don't know. Anyway, make spits out (as the
first few lines):

make -j2 -f makefile.lnx EXTRA_FLAGS='-O2 -fno-strength-reduce'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/elethiomel/crawl/dc400b26-src/source'
g++ -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wmissing-declarations -g -DLINUX -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -c liblinux.cc
cc1plus: warning: "-Wmissing-declarations" is valid for C/ObjC but not
for C++
liblinux.cc:71:24: curses.h: No such file or directory
liblinux.cc:84: error: `KEY_MAX' was not declared in this scope
liblinux.cc: In function `unsigned int convert_to_curses_attr(int)':
liblinux.cc:90: error: `A_STANDOUT' undeclared (first use this function)

Now, the first proper error says "curses.h: No such file or directory".
But I have triple-checked that I have curses installed.

Also, I must admit I have little experience with compiling stuff under
Linux. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. What is it?

religion.cc is fixed in both travel patch and debian patch.

And you need ncurses-dev package, or whatever it's called.

"Ilyak" wrote in message
<1126523486.411654.311850@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:

> And you need ncurses-dev package, or whatever it's called.

By the way, Ilyak, if you're still interested in getting the "bash
abandons privileges" bug fixed, I hacked up a quick patch that does just
that for the local crawl installation at my institution, since we
switched from FreeBSD to Linux.

"Ilyak" wrote in message
<1126523486.411654.311850@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:

> And you need ncurses-dev package, or whatever it's called.

By the way, Ilyak, if you're still interested in getting the "bash
abandons privileges" bug fixed, I hacked up a quick patch that does just
that for the local crawl installation at my institution, since we
switched from FreeBSD to Linux.

It was quite useful to know what to fix from the beginning, so you're
previous bug report proved very helpful.

Yes, I am really interested. I was encouraging myself to cut this out
of crawl-alternative. It you've already had it, please send me.

Once upon a time, Elethiomel wrote thus:

> So, after reading about the RNG trouble under Windows, I decided to
> install Linux (again) and get Crawl running under it. I went for Debian,
> and installing Crawl is as easy as "apt-get install crawl".

> But that's not good enough for me. I want Darshan's travel patch. Accept
> no substitute. So I downloaded the source, the .diff, put the .diff in
> the [crawldir]/source directory, and did "patch
> <crawl-patches-20050729.diff" (which returned no errors). Then I did
> "make". No luck.

As you're using Debian, you could try "apt-get build-dep crawl", to see what
they think it needs to run. You could even try applying the patch on top of
Debian's patch if that doesn't make make work.

--
kwaheri, Kieron (reverse username to reply)

Ilyak wrote:
> religion.cc is fixed in both travel patch and debian patch.
>
> And you need ncurses-dev package, or whatever it's called.

This fixed my compile problem, and then I created and 'chmod'ed the
directory structure so I could play Crawl, but there's still no default
init file or anything else but the 'crawl' file installed by "make
install". This seems strange to me. Is there something, again, that I am
missing?

Also, a couple auxillary questions;

I've gotten used to the way Crawl displays in Windows - solid walls,
etc. In Linux console it displays with traditional roguelike # walls.
How come? Is there something I can do at compile-time to change this?

How do I change the linux console font? I know this is completely out of
the scope when it comes to Crawl itself, but I thought someone might know.

Ilyak wrote:

>How do I change the linux console font? I know this is completely out of
>the scope when it comes to Crawl itself, but I thought someone might know.

..Xdefaults (assuming you are running some flavor of X) - also, in my
experience, most terminals will accept font-data being passed to them
when they are invoked. But this knowledge is coming to me from cygwin,
so I could be way off the mark with regards to actual Linux.