[CRAWL] HELP! Linux newb can't figure out how to restore g..

The game crashed while I had a nice GEAe going...I managed to keep all
my .a0* files and my .sav file, as well as the .bak file, but now I
can't get Crawl to let me get back into my game. I've tried
compressing it into a .tar.gz archive as per the instructions in a post
a few years ago ("Proposal for regular save feature"), but whenever I
give Crawl my character's name, it deletes the archive from
/var/games/crawl and asks me for a character race and class.

I made a dummy character and confirmed that /var/games/crawl is where
Crawl keeps its save files on my computer. I even opened up the dummy
archive and made sure I mimicked the exact directory structure within
it. WTF am I doing wrong?

Please help.
4 answers Last reply
More about crawl help linux newb figure restore
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    dsirus5@gmail.com wrote:
    > The game crashed while I had a nice GEAe going...I managed to keep all
    > my .a0* files and my .sav file, as well as the .bak file, but now I
    > can't get Crawl to let me get back into my game.

    When the game crashes, it's not able to pack all the open files into a
    *.zip file, so you have to do it by hand.

    > I've tried compressing it into a .tar.gz archive as per the
    > instructions in a post a few years ago ("Proposal for regular save
    > feature"), but whenever I give Crawl my character's name, it deletes
    > the archive from /var/games/crawl and asks me for a character race and
    > class.

    I hope you're not using a non-standard compilation of crawl. Default is
    *.zip and not *.tar.gz. If your savegames actually are the latter, I
    can't help, sorry. In this case you have to read the man pages about tar
    and how to archiv several files into one single file. Basically it
    shouldn't be much different from the method described below.

    > I made a dummy character and confirmed that /var/games/crawl is where
    > Crawl keeps its save files on my computer.

    That's different on my system, my savegames are in /opt/crawl/lib.
    What ending did your dummy character have? I hope it's zip and then it's
    quite easy. Just take care of the number generated behind the character
    name (I don't know whether it's always generated or just on my system).
    Let's say, my character name was Ruby, then the generated zip file would
    be Ruby1000.zip. So when I have to rescue after a crash, I just have to
    do this in my savegame folder: zip Ruby1000.zip Ruby1000.*
    That's all, HTH and good luck! :-)

    Ah, I almost forgot to mention: check permissions of your dummy file.
    You probably have to change permissions of your handmade zip file to
    your dummy's permission. Meanwhile I don't need this anymore (I think
    it's because I changed /opt/crawl to full ownership of my local user).
    --
    Rubinstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    As a matter of fact, I'm running Debian Sarge. My dummy character was
    saved as a .tar.gz, not as a zip. I've tried putting all the files
    (.a0* + .sav) into a .tar.gz, being careful to model the dummy save
    precisely in terms of internal directory structure; no dice. I also
    made sure that all the file permissions and ownerships were as they
    should be. After moving the archive into /var/games/crawl, which is
    where the game normally stores save files, and telling Crawl the name
    of my character, it flashes a brief "Loading game...", but then asks me
    for race/class for a new character.
    And the name I've been giving the archive is
    [charactername]1000.tar.gz, as I observed this is how Crawl normally
    saves characters on my computer.

    I just feel like there's something painfully obvious that I'm just not
    doing. Anybody out there see some detail that I missed?
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    dsirus5@gmail.com wrote:
    > [...]
    >
    > I just feel like there's something painfully obvious that I'm just not
    > doing. Anybody out there see some detail that I missed?

    Did you also compare permissions between your dummy and your new created
    file? Call both with 'ls -la' and compare: ownership and flags must be
    exactly the same. If that's the case I can't help anymore, sorry. If
    not, you have to change your new file with chmod and/or chown.
    --
    Rubinstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Quidquid latine dictum, altum videtur.
    Ceterum censeo Microsoftem delendam esse.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Once upon a time, dsirus5@gmail.com wrote thus:

    > I just feel like there's something painfully obvious that I'm just not
    > doing. Anybody out there see some detail that I missed?

    One thing you could try doing is to post details of what you're actually trying
    to make crawl load. Try posting the results of
    "ls -ln /var/games/crawl/[charactername]1000.*" and
    "tar -tf /var/games/crawl/[charactername]1000.tar.gz".

    --
    kwaheri, Kieron (reverse username to reply)

Games Video Games