Sign in with
Your question

Searching for gaming Dome/Scissor keyboard

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 21, 2012 8:33:06 PM

I am looking for a Gaming Keyboard.

I know you gamers are gonna laugh, but specifically, one with softest dome or scissor switches. I want the keyboard to be QUIET! It doesn't have to have alot of features. 1) Quiet, Quiet, Quiet 2) Soft, soft feel 3) Bright backlighting 4) a couple programmable macro keys.

I use a Microsoft Digital Media 3000 keyboard (Wired, USB).
PROS:
It's very quiet .
shape/size of the keys
Key Feel/feedback is perfect for my typing/gaming needs
CONS:
No backlighting

If anyone knows of a gaming keyboard that is similar to my current keyboard, please let me know.
--------------------------------------------------
As an alternative:
I also game on a Dell XPS M1730 laptop and I like the feel of those keys too. They may be abit too "clicky" (can be heard over VOIP programs), but feel pretty good to me once the key mechanism softens up.
I found this keyboard [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRQoRsTODbU ], but no gaming macro capability (as far as I know).

Any gaming keyboards like this?

Recently, I bought a Logitech G510 and it was horrible. I gave it away to the first person who would take it!
LOUD/CLICKY
Keys were small
Keys felt cheap
Backlighting was too dim

I've read a boatload of threads about keyboards and I don't mean to offend anyone, but many people insist on putting in their 2 cents about mechanical keyboards. Let's try to stay on topic "Dome or Scissor switch keyboards". I do not like or want a mechanical keyboard unless you include some sort of MOD to dampen the noise when the key bottoms out. The O-ring solutions that I've seen on YouTube isn't quiet enough.
thanks

a b 4 Gaming
September 24, 2012 11:13:59 AM

the reason why someone always mentions mechanical keyboards is due to the fact that they really are a superior product. they are available with tactile feedback or not (that you feel with your fingers) and audible feedback or not (that clicking sound). the most common keys used in mechanical gaming keyboards have no sound and no feedback.

honestly those models are not any louder than typing on your standard dome keyboard. it is very hard to have a perfectly silent keyboarding experience due to the sound of keys bottoming out (yes even on rubber domes) and the sound of your fingers hitting the keys. the clicking sound on mechanical keyboards and the sound of bottoming out are completely seperate sounds. you are correct in that some softer rubber domes can reduce this audible output depending on how you type.

your microphone should not pick up on keyboarding sounds too much unless you are using a very loud keyboard such as a model m or have it located too close to the microphone. you should be able to adjust sensitivity as well to not trigger on sounds below a certain db rating. just a thought.

the old keyboard which came with my logitech mx1000 mouse set was rather quiet. perhaps look at some logitech keyboards in the office segment and not the gaming segment of their lineup. the only problem is that backlighting tends to be a gaming feature. which is unnecessary really since if you game in the dark where backlighting would be usefull you are just killing your eyes faster than you would if you were in a room with correct ambient lighting. do as you wish of course, i am just giving you some advice there.

honestly without actually trying keyboards out in person it is hard to get a feel for how they are to type on. i would say go to your local electronics shop and see what is out on display and go from there.
m
l
September 26, 2012 3:40:56 AM

I appreciate your comments. Looks like I make have to go with a gaming keyboard. I haven't been able to find a dome switched gaming keyboard anywhere. Now, it's a matter of finding a store that carries multiple keyboards.

Thanks again
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 11:28:39 AM

rubber dome switched keyboards are found everywhere. in fact i wouldnt be suprised if they account for 80% of all keyboards made.

now laptop style keyboards with a scissor spring and rubber dome are harder to find. normally you will find these on full sized "laptop style" keyboards with the low profile keys. i have seen a few around.

best buy, staples, officemax, and any electronics store that carries computers should have a few on hand.

microcenter has a larger selection.
m
l
December 3, 2013 10:18:31 PM

d4nny97 said:
I am looking for a Gaming Keyboard.

I know you gamers are gonna laugh, but specifically, one with softest dome or scissor switches. I want the keyboard to be QUIET! It doesn't have to have alot of features. 1) Quiet, Quiet, Quiet 2) Soft, soft feel 3) Bright backlighting 4) a couple programmable macro keys.

I use a Microsoft Digital Media 3000 keyboard (Wired, USB).
PROS:
It's very quiet .
shape/size of the keys
Key Feel/feedback is perfect for my typing/gaming needs
CONS:
No backlighting

If anyone knows of a gaming keyboard that is similar to my current keyboard, please let me know.
As an alternative:
I also game on a Dell XPS M1730 laptop and I like the feel of those keys too. They may be abit too "clicky" (can be heard over VOIP programs), but feel pretty good to me once the key mechanism softens up.
I found this keyboard [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRQoRsTODbU ], but no gaming macro capability (as far as I know).

Any gaming keyboards like this?

Recently, I bought a Logitech G510 and it was horrible. I gave it away to the first person who would take it!
LOUD/CLICKY
Keys were small
Keys felt cheap
Backlighting was too dim

I've read a boatload of threads about keyboards and I don't mean to offend anyone, but many people insist on putting in their 2 cents about mechanical keyboards. Let's try to stay on topic "Dome or Scissor switch keyboards". I do not like or want a mechanical keyboard unless you include some sort of MOD to dampen the noise when the key bottoms out. The O-ring solutions that I've seen on YouTube isn't quiet enough.
thanks

I'm having a lot of problems finding the right keyboard for me as well. I also bought a Logitech G510 and gave it away to my brother. What an awful keyboard for me. My brother loves it though... It's all about personal choice obviously but I do feel that people like me and you are not catered for in terms of "Finding what we want easily".

Its been an expensive, time consuming process so far and I still don't have what i want. My standard wireless Logitech is awesome for me but I can not bind or macro keys which is what i want in addition to the wonderful feel of my keyboard.

2 hour of searching through pictures and text brought me here... My search continues. Who needs Skyrim when you can play an old text based game like this. Hunting for a new keyboard reminds me of the gameplay of "The Hobbit" way back when :) 
m
l
February 7, 2014 5:00:55 AM

I have recently been told i`m typing too loud. After some search i have realized that my roccat Isku is actually silicone domed.
I still need to quiet it down. Most of the noise is caused by the loose keys more than bottoming as i can create insane noise just by swiping my fingers over it without pressing keys.
The date of the last comment, makes me think this thread might help someone out someday.
Good luck and hope i can remove the wobbly noise of this keyboard somehow
m
l
!