Sign in with
Your question

Turning one 40 inch display into two monitors setup by software

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 21, 2012 10:08:22 PM

So my new audio production desk has a 40" space in between the two rack shelves where I could put either two 20 inch wide (not the screen size but the horizontal size) so I could set 2 20 inch side by side. But I'm wondering if there isn't a software that can split a wide screen into 2 monitors and function as if they were two monitors. Meaning that on one side I could have a program running in full screen (as if it was on one monitor) and on the other side a browser open or something.

I'm asking because trying to find monitors that have no bazel or very thin bazel is a real challenge and quite franqly is coming to cost more than just having a 40" horizontal size wide screen.

Think of it as having two monitors into one frame with no bazel in between and controlled by a software.

So any one knows about such a software?
a b C Monitor
September 24, 2012 12:13:12 AM

Eyefinity
m
l
September 24, 2012 8:19:12 AM

Beside being a 3d application for gaming, that doesn't tell me much about it being able to create virtual monitors on a single large monitor. Beside, my Daw is not recommended to be used with ATI cards so eyefinity wouldn't be of use anyways.
m
l
Related resources
a c 105 C Monitor
September 24, 2012 11:43:52 AM

you do realize that if you purchased a 40" display (my guess is a television is what you were thinking of?) it will most likely be 1920x1080. if you split that image in half you are left with two monitors at 960x1080. not too much better than the old 1024x768 monitors of old and in a vertical arrangment i am not sure how useful they would be.

televisions are also best left for gaming or video watching with perhaps an occasional bit of computing. they are far less sharp than monitors and if you plan to view text (especially at reduced size when splitting a tv resolution in half) they are far from ideal. i need to bump my windows font size up 5% when viewing content using the whole tv let alone halving it into two screens for fullscreen work (at halfscreen) just something to think about.

two monitors at 1920x1080 each would give a much cleaner picture and would maintain a decent working area on screen.

m
l
a c 98 C Monitor
September 24, 2012 9:49:02 PM

+1 ^ You will be very limited in resolution.

We have a 32" 4k display at work we got as a demo, it will run a split screen at full resolution on both sides, but it costs about $10,000.

You can also get a coupe of 22,23,24" monitors and run one in portrait mode for documents and web pages, will fit in the same area, and you will have a ton more screen space to work with.
m
l
a c 105 C Monitor
September 25, 2012 11:07:57 AM

since you do not want a bezel....

i have seen triple panel gaming monitors which you might want to look at.

dont be suprised when you see the price tags though.
m
l
October 2, 2012 12:47:27 AM

Yeah but that's what I was saying that was becoming way more expensive than a 40 inch display
m
l
a c 105 C Monitor
October 2, 2012 11:01:17 AM

to be honest, you will probably be best served by two individual monitors. buy ones with a rotating mount with pivot software and you can use them in portrait mode. if you buy tn panels you can most likely beat the price of a television while gaining much more in resolution. perhaps two 22-24" in portrait mode?

just a thought.

m
l
October 2, 2012 4:36:25 PM

ssddx said:
to be honest, you will probably be best served by two individual monitors. buy ones with a rotating mount with pivot software and you can use them in portrait mode. if you buy tn panels you can most likely beat the price of a television while gaining much more in resolution. perhaps two 22-24" in portrait mode?

just a thought.

Portrait mode doesn't work well with a daw that needs wideness for the editing window (where you see the waveform) or even the mix window where all the faders are. 2 22 inch would fit in their normal stance as I think most are a total of 20' wide from side to side.

Thanks for all the answers though, just need to decide.
m
l
a c 98 C Monitor
October 2, 2012 9:52:25 PM

lex-321 said:
Portrait mode doesn't work well with a daw that needs wideness for the editing window (where you see the waveform) or even the mix window where all the faders are. 2 22 inch would fit in their normal stance as I think most are a total of 20' wide from side to side.

Thanks for all the answers though, just need to decide.

If you split one 40" TV into to, you will have 2-20" displays in portrait mode anyway. Unless you split along the horizontal to get to narrow but wide displays.
m
l
a c 105 C Monitor
October 3, 2012 11:34:44 AM

exactly...

from your description in the first post it seems that you wanted to use one side of the split screen for the program and the other for a web browser or other activity.

esentially this is not much different then running two portrait mode monitors. rememeber though.... on a tv you would have a resolution of 960x1080 for each half and if you used two 1080p monitors you would have a resolution of 1080x1920 for each half. this increase in resolution would allow you to run a program more effectively since icons, menus and other junk will be smaller due to the increased resolution (normally they are a static pixel by pixel size).

just a thought.

remember, you could also stack two 24 or 26" displays vertically with a mount if you prefer. there are many options you could consider. you can even run one portrait and one landscape.
m
l
!