[crawl] YASD - Spriggan Venom

Joe

Hi, I've been playing for a month or two now and here's my first post!

Well, here was my most successfull caracter up to date. My poor spriggan
hurried to the Temple on the 4th level to wordship Sif Muna. On the way
over, he poisoned everything in site and got quite alot of experience.
Unfortunately he was not carefull enough and got killed in the mines.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Darn, I can't seem to get a caracter
higher than level 8 or 9. Anything I'm missing with this caracter? Any
suggestions?

This game is great!

Joe.

Dungeon Crawl 400b26e069tf(Windows/Tile) character file.
[Last build Mar 13 2005]

Speedy the Tainter

Race : Spriggan Res.Fire : . . . See Invis. : +
Class : Venom Mage Res.Cold : . . . Warding : .
Worship : Sif Muna Life Prot.: + . . Conserve : .
Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
Level 9 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
Exp 3303
Next Level 5082 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Exp Needed 1779 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: .
Spls.Left 8 Res.Slow : . Levitation : .
Gold 216 Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .

HP : -1/ 39
MP : 16/ 26 Weapon staff of energy
Str : 3 Armour +4 robe
Int : 22 Shield none
Dex : 15 Helmet none
Armour Cl: 6 Cloak +0 cloak
Evasion : 15 Gloves none
Shield Cl: 0 Boots none
Amulet none
Play time : 02:00:29 Ring ring of life protection
Turns : 8282 Ring +3 ring of evasion

You are in the Mines.
You worship Sif Muna.
Sif Muna is greatly pleased with you.
You are full.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +1,+0 dagger
s - a cursed -2,+1 orcish dagger
C - a +0,+2 dagger of venom
Armour
b - a +0 robe
+u - a +0 cloak (worn)
+P - a +4 robe (worn)
Magical devices
d - a wand of random effects (11)
x - a wand of cold (9)
F - a wand of digging (8)
W - a wand of fireball (9)
Z - a wand of random effects (11)
Comestibles
m - a meat ration
q - a pear
y - 3 bread rations
I - 2 chokos
Scrolls
e - 2 scrolls of identify
f - 4 scrolls of random uselessness
j - 7 scrolls of teleportation
l - 3 scrolls of magic mapping
n - 2 scrolls of enchant weapon I
o - 2 scrolls of forgetfulness
t - 2 scrolls of enchant armour
v - 6 scrolls of detect curse
w - 5 scrolls of remove curse
N - a scroll of noise
Jewellery
i - an amulet of clarity
k - a ring of sustain abilities
+z - a ring of life protection (right hand)
+A - a +3 ring of evasion (left hand)
K - a +3 ring of evasion
Potions
h - 2 potions of healing
p - a potion of restore abilities
r - 3 potions of slowing
B - a potion of cure mutation
G - a potion of porridge
O - a potion of invisibility
R - a potion of gain strength
Y - a potion of heal wounds
Books
c - a Young Poisoner's Handbook
M - a book of Cantrips
Q - a book of Callings
T - a book of Surveyances
Magical staves
+g - a staff of energy (weapon)
J - a staff of earth

You have 1 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 1 Short Blades
+ Level 4 Dodging
- Level 4 Stealth
+ Level 7 Spellcasting
+ Level 6 Conjurations
+ Level 1 Summonings
+ Level 9 Poison Magic

You have 8 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success Level
a - Sting Poison/Conjuration Excellent 1
b - Cure Poison Poison Excellent 2
c - Mephitic Cloud Poison/Air/Conjuration Great 3
d - Venom Bolt Poison/Conjuration Very Good 5
e - Call Imp Summoning Good 3

Last messages:
> Cast which spell ([?*] list)?
> Which direction ([*+-] to target)?
> The bolt of poison hits the orc.
> You kill the orc!
> There is a stone staircase leading upwards here.
> Entering...
> You climb upwards.
> There is a stone staircase leading down here.
> There is a stone staircase leading down here.
> Entering...
> You climb downwards.
> The orc hits you with an orcish flail!
> The orc priest mumbles some strange prayers.
> Something smites you!
> * * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
> The orc misses you.
> The ogre misses you.
> The orc priest utters an invocation.
> Something smites you!
> You die...

#....#..o##.........#.##
##..#...)#.....#.......#
###...><...[.###..##.##
#...#))....#.########
#.............#
#.........%..##
####...<.o.....###
##.#.....Oo.......##
####.........@........###
##.#.....%.....o......##.##
#...............).........#
##....#...............##.##
#.....................##.#
##.#..#...........#...#...#
###..............##.###.##
##.......#......### ###
###.....#......##

Vanquished Creatures
Edmund (D:7)
A necrophage (D:8)
4 ogres
A centaur (D:9)
4 giant frogs
Sigmund (D:4)
2 orc warriors (Orc:2)
4 killer bees (D:9)
3 hounds
4 imps
6 giant ants
2 orc priests
7 orc wizards
A jelly (D:7)
2 giant iguanas
4 worms
10 snakes
2 giant mites
3 white imps
A shadow imp (D:7)
A mummy (D:7)
A giant eyeball (D:6)
Jessica (D:2)
A hound zombie (D:8)
A scorpion zombie (D:7)
22 giant bats
19 goblins
18 jackals
34 orcs
14 hobgoblins
3 grey rats
5 quokkas
7 giant geckos
An orc zombie (D:8)
17 rats
17 kobolds
A snake zombie (D:6)
4 giant cockroaches
3 small snakes
9 giant newts

242 creatures vanquished.

Joe wrote:

> Well, here was my most successfull caracter up to date. My poor spriggan
> hurried to the Temple on the 4th level to wordship Sif Muna. On the way
> over, he poisoned everything in site and got quite alot of experience.
> Unfortunately he was not carefull enough and got killed in the mines.
>
> Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Well, you're going to the Mines too soon, for one thing. My character
survival rate increased dramatically once I learned that I rarely want
to go to the Mines when I first discover them. Go deeper into the main
dungeon first, and perhaps even do the Lair, or at least part of it. I
normally do the entire Lair, though not necessarily its subbranches,
before I attempt the Mines.

> Darn, I can't seem to get a caracter
> higher than level 8 or 9. Anything I'm missing with this caracter?

The game opening is reasonably tough, but the early midgame is downright
brutal. That's where you seem to be getting stuck.

> Any
> suggestions?

Don't plan to rely on poison magic to carry you through the game. It
won't, so you need to develop another way of taking out enemies. With
that being the case, it may be wise to stop practicing poison magic much
earlier so that you can push those XP into other skills.

Don't get into hand-to-hand combat using a Spriggan, especially against
a whole group of foes. Spriggans can almost always avoid this because
of their speed.

Come up with a strategy for dealing with enemies that have ranged
attacks. Your mephitic cloud would have been a good choice, if you had
clear line of sight to the orc priest.

Try not to die with unused healing / heal wounds potions in your inventory.

Develop a sense of how dangerous various monsters are, and learn to run
away *before* the situation becomes desperate.

In general, you might want to try some more survivable character types
for a while to gather more experience with the Dungeon, it's branches,
and their denizens. Among spellcasters, try a Conjurer (deep elf,
perhaps, or kenku); among fighters, try a dwarf, minotaur, or troll
fighter or berserker.

--
John Bollinger
jobollin@indiana.edu

> ##.#.....Oo.......##
> ####.........@........###
This is what you're doing wrong.

If you see more than 1 enemy on screen, consider tactical retreat. And
if you're a mage, you should never let even one monster to engage melee
with you. Twice so if it's an Ogre.

You might be frightened by retreat while smited by priest, but priest
will smite you anyway if you stand and fight, so you should've retreat
in such cases.

Thought, from log I did not got whenever you had chances to flee. Maybe
this was unevitable? That sort of thigs happen.