-Crawl- YAVP and some thoughts on Pandemonium

This was to be my all runes win, but I got so bored my brain was
turning into cream cheese and running out of my ear, so I gave up
trying to find the last of the 4 special levels in Pan. (I might have
missed it early on but I don't think so).

I think pandemonium needs some modification. It just takes too damn
long to generate those special levels. If I wanted a game that awarded
tedium... angband is --->>

Once you've got a bunch of demonic runes you're only there for the
special levels and boredom could easily kill you when searching for
them. I actually went from 0 to 27 in short blades due just for the
hell of it whilst searching pan levels. Also the special levels aren't
actually all that special. For my (admittedly uber buff melee)
character they were all very easy.

Oh another thought on Nemelex... I wont bother in future. The potential
stat gains were just too much of a pain for the shuffle possibilities.
Once I converted to Elyvilon I was much happier on the whole (big heal
probably saved my ass a couple of times during the late game). Still my
high stat (in the 40's) swapping around from str, int and dex made for
a bit of amusement :) And lead to me settling on a quick blade at the
very end as nemelex's last shuffle punishment left me with dex as my
biggest stat.

Anyway I present Basher, the ultimate fighting machine :)

Basher the Skullcrusher

Race : Mountain Dwarf Res.Fire : + + . See Invis. : +
Class : Fighter Res.Cold : . . . Warding : .
Worship : Elyvilon Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
Level : 27 Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
Exp : 3436636 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .

Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Spls.Left : 1 Res.Mut. : + Ctrl.Telep.: +
Gold : 4532 Res.Slow : . Levitation : .
Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
HP : 285
MP : 45
Str : 12 Weapon : +9 quick blade (slice)
Int : 15 Armour : +1 leather armour of the Tortoise
Dex : 48 Shield :
AC : 22 Helmet : +2 crested helmet
Evasion : 23 Cloak : +2 elf cloak (darkness)
Shield : 0 Gloves : +2 pair of gloves of the Loofah
Boots : +2 pair of boots (stealth)
Play time : 2, 17:08:35 Amulet : amulet of resist mutation
Turns : 309336 Ring : ring "F Rclzxaaariby"
Ring : cursed ring of teleport control

You escaped.
You worship Elyvilon.
Elyvilon is exalted by your worship.
You are encumbered.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +9,+9 quick blade of slicing (weapon) (10598 gold)
b - a +9,+9 elven great flail of flaming (3378 gold)

// my main weapon was the flail until half way through pan when I
decided to train short blades just for the hell of it. So many enchant
scrolls getting both to +9 wasn't a problem in Pan. Started with about
+6,+7 on the flail in pan i think and even with low strength that was
enough.

g - the +7,+7 Sceptre of Asmodeus (1500 gold)
It carries some of the powers of the arch-fiend Asmodeus.

G - the cursed +6,+6 Sword of Cerebov (2000 gold)
Eerie flames cover its twisted blade.
It has a curse placed upon it.
Q - the +4,+4 Staff of Dispater (1200 gold)
This legendary item can unleash the fury of Hell.

Armour
k - the +1 leather armour of the Tortoise (worn) (616 gold)
It affects your strength (+2).
It affects your intelligence (+3).
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+4).
It greatly protects you from fire.

\\ found lots of nice armours, but I just couldn't pursuade myself to
let go of the +4 damage and fire protection.

r - a +2 pair of boots of stealth (worn) (218 gold)
D - a +2 elven cloak of darkness (worn) (246 gold)
K - a +2 crested helmet (worn) (162 gold)
M - the +2 pair of gloves of the Loofah (worn) (292 gold)
It affects your strength (+2).

\\ would have liked better stuff for these but never found any.

Comestibles
J - 2 meat rations (80 gold)
Scrolls
c - a scroll of teleportation (30 gold)
t - 3 scrolls of blinking (90 gold)
Jewellery
e - a cursed ring of teleport control (left hand) (224 gold)
f - a ring of ice (434 gold)

\\ normally wore ice for cold resist. Teleport control swapped after
picking up the orb.

B - the ring "F Rclzxaaariby" (right hand) (546 gold)
This ring allows its wearer to see those things hidden from view by
magic.

\\ What does that do?

It affects your AC (+6).
It affects your intelligence (+3).
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+4).

L - an amulet of resist mutation (around neck) (210 gold)
Potions
w - a potion of speed (25 gold)
x - a potion of invisibility (55 gold)
A - 4 potions of might (100 gold)
C - a potion of restore abilities (50 gold)
E - 2 potions of healing (40 gold)
F - 3 potions of heal wounds (90 gold)
Magical staves
s - a rod of destruction (250 gold)
Orbs of Power
n - the Orb of Zot (250000 gold)
Miscellaneous
d - a serpentine rune of Zot (10000 gold)
h - a fiery rune of Zot (10000 gold)
i - an obsidian rune of Zot (10000 gold)
j - a golden rune of Zot (10000 gold)
l - a silver rune of Zot (10000 gold)
m - a slimy rune of Zot (10000 gold)
z - a glowing rune of Zot (10000 gold)
N - 4 demonic runes of Zot (40000 gold)
O - a magical rune of Zot (10000 gold)
P - an icy rune of Zot (10000 gold)
R - an abyssal rune of Zot (10000 gold)
S - an iron rune of Zot (10000 gold)
T - a bone rune of Zot (10000 gold)
U - a decaying rune of Zot (10000 gold)

You have 20000 experience left.

Skills:
* Level 27 Fighting
* Level 27 Short Blades
* Level 27 Maces & Flails
- Level 2 Throwing
+ Level 14 Armour
* Level 27 Dodging

\\ Dodging rules! Once I'd got this high most things hardly ever hit
me.

+ Level 6 Stealth
+ Level 12 Stabbing
- Level 3 Shields
- Level 8 Traps & Doors
* Level 27 Unarmed Combat

\\ only ever learnt as supplimental, but pan experience boosted it to
the max.

+ Level 12 Spellcasting
+ Level 14 Enchantments
+ Level 8 Translocations
+ Level 16 Divinations
+ Level 1 Ice Magic
+ Level 11 Air Magic
+ Level 1 Earth Magic
+ Level 15 Invocations
* Level 27 Evocations

\\ rods used to wake guys up and take out nexoqecs before they mutated
me.

You have one spell level left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Magic Mapping Earth/Divination Great 4

\\ Learned to map pan before I found i couldn't

b - Ozocubu's Armour Ice/Enchantment Great 3

\\ Never used it in anger

c - Silence Air/Enchantment Excellent 3

\\ Never used it in anger. Never sure of what things it stops and what
it doesn't.

d - Swiftness Air/Enchantment Excellent 2
e - Detect Items Divination Perfect 2
f - Levitation Air/Enchantment Excellent 2
g - Insulation Air/Enchantment Excellent 4
h - Deflect Missiles Air/Enchantment Very Good 6
i - Berserker Rage Enchantment Excellent 3

\\ stopped using it by the time I got to Pan. Didn't need it

j - Detect Creatures Divination Perfect 2
k - Banishment Translocation Very Good 5

\\ escape from pan.

l - Fly Air/Enchantment Excellent 4
m - Controlled Blink Translocation Great 4

\\ very handy!

n - Selective Amnesia Enchantment Excellent 3
o - Sure Blade Enchantment Excellent 2

\\ bored in pan...

Mutations & Other Weirdness
Your muscles are strong (Str +1).
Your mind is acute (Int +2).

\\ potions in pan

You have a pair of small horns on your head.
You occasionally forget where you are.

\\ maprot didn't really bother me in pan, had cure mutations stored but
didn't bother.

Vanquished Creatures (I'll just list all the pan demons... tediuous
really doesn't quite cut it!):

Repehub (Pan)
Cerebov (Pan)
Ocilunivuti (Pan)
Opelilobo (Pan)
Hfrxtac (Pan)
Nofigijyvifajo (Pan)
Dupowixuxedupo (Pan)
Obuni (Pan)
Omejywocin Gepr (Pan)
Xequj Py (Pan)
Kyfux (Pan)
Erubox Befr Wy (Pan)
Vi (Pan)
Jefifriqokoqy (Pan)
Bitigem Wem (Pan)
Eqeduqixuheneb (Pan)
Oj Rojefo (Pan)
Lom Lobon (Pan)
Koh H H (Pan)
Pyhidorodyli (Pan)
Hop Pubek Bo (Pan)
Sidynoxynir (Pan)
Ibybekyklush (Pan)
Hutibom (Pan)
Ij Ruxir (Pan)
Sisidan Do (Pan)
Likojiciji (Pan)
Pilirikonileko (Pan)
Egulyd Gudu (Pan)
Biqumurowirut (Pan)
Mfrxtawi (Pan)
Kowufemymukuk (Pan)
Ulydirol (Pan)
Xyg Xibudig Se (Pan)
Vobyvovipn (Pan)
Dczchxkaaaaa (Pan)
Limumus (Pan)
Mocan Si (Pan)
Winuviji (Pan)
Ojijugydi (Pan)
Iwiv P B (Pan)
Nyrimoxu (Pan)
Lysiriki (Pan)
Ymyhi (Pan)
Yjejurasytoso (Pan)
Vugymag M (Pan)
Ober Pi (Pan)
Xekeczo (Pan)
Lyqaqot Q (Pan)
But P S (Pan)
Ypicyjyqutyp (Pan)
M Difo (Pan)
V S (Pan)
X Qumpr (Pan)
Pczchxk (Pan)
Teqykeceta (Pan)
Oxybisury (Pan)
Gisocis (Pan)
Ul Nudomyj Su (Pan)
How Vybyhe (Pan)
Vyhiwynoqen (Pan)
Gfrxtajile (Pan)
Hczchakubit We (Pan)
Hiwoneli (Pan)
Foquvudivufoqu (Pan)
3 golden dragons
Olurufujijufol (Pan)
Rufeb Tev (Pan)
Kladobua (Pan)
Eviheri (Pan)
Odowudid Cepid (Pan)
Ten Fyfimyfet (Pan)
Bidimyc M Mu (Pan)
Ugidiruciwu (Pan)
Hev Wyvipnedim (Pan)
Eqil Kiw Fyfepr (Pan)
Cu (Pan)
Erehyb (Pan)
Pom Hohyxuho (Pan)
Lerufruvuhiruv (Pan)
V Vipusyw Soxo (Pan)
Odyhiqesiby (Pan)
Tir C Xymy (Pan)
Iryjchaboxyacy (Pan)
Edonejek (Pan)
Nisaryqu (Pan)

Cheers all. Once you get those fighting and dodging skills really high
the game becomes quite easy.

Probably going to take a bit of a break from crawl now. Until i'm next
bored anyway :)

Rich

"Dafty" <richard.clements@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> B - the ring "F Rclzxaaariby" (right hand) (546 gold)
> This ring allows its wearer to see those things hidden from view by
>magic.
>
>\\ What does that do?

See invisible!
\_\/_/ http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/dungeonbash/
\ / "tempted white eyes blinded by the night hollow like the towers from the
\/ inside laura's a machine she's burning insane" fields of the nephilim

Dafty wrote:
> This was to be my all runes win, but I got so bored my brain was
> turning into cream cheese and running out of my ear, so I gave up
> trying to find the last of the 4 special levels in Pan. (I might have
> missed it early on but I don't think so).

Woah, really impressive YAVP, anyway (even w/o those 4 missing levels)!
Congratulations!
--
Rubinstein
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dafty wrote:
> This was to be my all runes win, but I got so bored my brain was
> turning into cream cheese and running out of my ear, so I gave up
> trying to find the last of the 4 special levels in Pan. (I might have
> missed it early on but I don't think so).

Congratulations anyway! To me, all levels of Pandemonium are special, as
I have never been there. Or won, even though I got to Zot: 4 with a deep
elf conjurer. So again, congratulations!

Quoting Dafty <richard.clements@ntlworld.com>:
>I think pandemonium needs some modification. It just takes too damn
>long to generate those special levels. If I wanted a game that awarded
>tedium... angband is --->>

But you'd already won the game (well, you could have done). That you can
invent a tediously long subquest isn't really the fault of Crawl - just as
it's not the fault of NetHack that an extinctionist ascension is utterly
soul-destroying.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Monday, September.

In article <1127218332.823591.103160@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Dafty <richard.clements@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>This was to be my all runes win, but I got so bored my brain was
>turning into cream cheese and running out of my ear, so I gave up
>trying to find the last of the 4 special levels in Pan. (I might have
>missed it early on but I don't think so).

Your AC seems pretty low for the "ultimate" fighting machine :)

Congrats, though; that's quite a nice list of random demon lord kills
:)

> B - the ring "F Rclzxaaariby" (right hand) (546 gold)
> This ring allows its wearer to see those things hidden from view by
>magic.
>
>\\ What does that do?

See invisible, I'd assume.

> It affects your AC (+6).
> It affects your intelligence (+3).
> It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+4).

Wow. Nice ring.

-Andrew ()

> But you'd already won the game (well, you could have done). That you can
> invent a tediously long subquest isn't really the fault of Crawl

Yeah fair enough I suppose, it's not *meant* to be easy to get all the
runes. But it doesn't seem very crawl like to make it extremely tedious
either.

I think a simple fix would be just to present the player with a special
message when they enter a special level of pan. OK you still have to do
the level trawl, but there's no mistaking a special level then. Luckily
I had very good divination skills so i could detect creatures and items
which is usually a dead giveaway for a special level (well certainly a
giveaway if you spot one of the usual random demon lord locations),
without that it would have been much more mindnumbing.

Rich

>Your AC seems pretty low for the "ultimate" fighting machine :)

Before this chap I always swore by AC, but that light armour I found
was just too appealing so I stuck with it (I nearly switched to dragon
armour in late game, but a STR-INT-DEX swap soon put paid to that
idea!). I didn't even need especially high evasion, the dodging skill
once it built up combined with that evasion ensured that hardly
anything hit me. In the late game i was offing type ones usually
without losing more than 20HP, often without losing any! (aside from
torments and hellfires). If I surprised/stabbed them, just one hit with
the quick blade was usually enough!

I passed up at least as many demon lords as i killed by the way :)

>> B - the ring "F Rclzxaaariby" (right hand) (546 gold)
>> This ring allows its wearer to see those things hidden from view by
>>magic.
>> It affects your AC (+6).
>> It affects your intelligence (+3).
>> It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+4).
>
> Wow. Nice ring.
>
> -Andrew ()

Never left my finger once I found it :) Made up for not finding too
many decent hats, gloves, cloaks or randart resist mutation amulets.

Rich

In article <1127291200.752332.53360@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Dafty <richard.clements@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>I didn't even need especially high evasion, the dodging skill
>once it built up combined with that evasion ensured that hardly
>anything hit me.

Hmm. I'd thought that dodging's effect on evasion was shown as part of
the displayed EV value. The calculation of EV is more or less black
magic to me, though.

-Andrew ()

>Hmm. I'd thought that dodging's effect on evasion was shown as part of
>the displayed EV value. The calculation of EV is more or less black
>magic to me, though.

Maybe it was... I've never played any EV characters before but 23
doesn't seem amazingly high. Certainly wouldn't have thought it enough
that executioners hardly ever hit me.

Rich