What system do you have now? When will you next upgrade?

Hi guys!

My system:

Dell 2350
2.2 Ghz Celeron
384 Mb
WinXP Home/FreeBSD 4.10
40 Gb HD
DVD/CD combo drive
56 Kbps modem
Integrated video/audio

I've come to the realisation that my current system far exceeds my
computing requirements. I use it to do the budget, watch DVDs,
surfing the net, and occasionally use it for word processing.

I don't use it for games(other than Warcraft 3 or chess), or any
video/computational intensive work - although I've toyed with the idea
of getting a video recorder and doing some editing. I think the computer
should have no problems with this whatsoever.

At this stage, based on my requirements, I don't see myself upgrading
my 2350 /ever/ (bear in mind, I upgraded from a classic P100/win98 to the
2350
only because the old monitor died) - unless it's due to unrecoverable
parts/systems
failure - it has just gone out of warranty. 64 Bit processing/operating
system will
not improve my productivity or increase my usage - unless a killer
application comes
out which requires more processing power.

So, just as a matter of curiosity, what system do you have, what exactly
do you use
it for, and when will you next upgrade?

Cheers,

Buck

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:15:30 +1000, Buck Rogers <who@cares.com.au> wrote:

> Hi guys!
>
> My system:
>
> Dell 2350
> 2.2 Ghz Celeron
> 384 Mb
> WinXP Home/FreeBSD 4.10
> 40 Gb HD
> DVD/CD combo drive
> 56 Kbps modem
> Integrated video/audio
>

> At this stage, based on my requirements, I don't see myself upgrading
> my 2350 /ever/ (bear in mind, I upgraded from a classic P100/win98 to
> the 2350
> only because the old monitor died) - unless it's due to unrecoverable
> parts/systems
> failure - it has just gone out of warranty. 64 Bit processing/operating
> system will
> not improve my productivity or increase my usage - unless a killer
> application comes
> out which requires more processing power.

PS - having said all the above, I still check the prices daily and drool
over the new systems. I think even if I know I /don't/ need a new computer,
I am still going to end up with one soon! Resistance is futile! :D

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Buck Rogers <who@cares.com.au> wrote:
> So, just as a matter of curiosity, what system do you have, what exactly
> do you use
> it for, and when will you next upgrade?

Not any time soon. I'll probably upgrade once Longhorn settles down
on the desktop systems.

Things that are noticably slow now:
Reading PDFs
Any type of multimedia (Premiere especially, Photoshop)
SQLServer queries
Games (SimCity especially, which will use all the CPU thrown at it)

But as I already have a 2.4C processor, I doubt spending the money on
a slightly faster core/FSB replacement CPU would make a lot of difference.
Longhorn will probably negate any processor improvements for a year or
two or three. Even then, I expect the extra Microsoft processor tax to
go mostly to glitter and not performance.

Anyway, there are a lot of common apps that push the envelope already.
But short of going to multi-processors, I doubt any existing processor
upgrade would help much for P4 2.0+ owners.

I know of people who are still using old 486's with 32MB of ram running
Windows 95. On the other hand, I also know of people who own expensive
prescotts with a gig of ram and x generation video cards, that do
nothing more than word process and email -- but that is another post.

When I purchased my Dimension 8200, I was heavily into games. Now, my
flashy video card is going to waste because I no longer have the time or
desire to play those games anymore. For my current needs, I suspect this
will last until the parts decay. My next upgrade will be when I can
afford a budget laptop, or perhaps, when a revolutionary new game comes
out that is actually worth my time and money to play.. Although, such a
game may run on a budget laptop. ^.~

On 18 Aug 2004 17:41:23 GMT, Brian <brian@sdsu.edu> wrote:

> Buck Rogers <who@cares.com.au> wrote:
>> So, just as a matter of curiosity, what system do you have, what exactly
>> do you use
>> it for, and when will you next upgrade?
>
> Not any time soon. I'll probably upgrade once Longhorn settles down
> on the desktop systems.
>
> Things that are noticably slow now:
> Reading PDFs
> Any type of multimedia (Premiere especially, Photoshop)
> SQLServer queries
> Games (SimCity especially, which will use all the CPU thrown at it)

I think even the newest systems, have the same problems to a lesser extent.

> Longhorn will probably negate any processor improvements for a year or
> two or three. Even then, I expect the extra Microsoft processor tax to
> go mostly to glitter and not performance.

I'll be skipping Longhorn altogether - I don't think I'll be able to
do anything new in Longhorn that I can't already do in XP. Bear in mind,
I went from Win98 to Win XP, skipping WinME, Win2000.

> Anyway, there are a lot of common apps that push the envelope already.
> But short of going to multi-processors, I doubt any existing processor
> upgrade would help much for P4 2.0+ owners.

Bohica

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001

"Buck Rogers" <who@cares.com.au> wrote in message
> On 18 Aug 2004 17:41:23 GMT, Brian <brian@sdsu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Buck Rogers <who@cares.com.au> wrote:
> >> So, just as a matter of curiosity, what system do you have, what
exactly
> >> do you use
> >> it for, and when will you next upgrade?
> >
> > Not any time soon. I'll probably upgrade once Longhorn settles down
> > on the desktop systems.
> >
> > Things that are noticably slow now:
> > Reading PDFs
> > Any type of multimedia (Premiere especially, Photoshop)
> > SQLServer queries
> > Games (SimCity especially, which will use all the CPU thrown at it)
> >

> I think even the newest systems, have the same problems to a lesser
extent.

> > Longhorn will probably negate any processor improvements for a year or
> > two or three. Even then, I expect the extra Microsoft processor tax to
> > go mostly to glitter and not performance.
>

> I'll be skipping Longhorn altogether - I don't think I'll be able to
> do anything new in Longhorn that I can't already do in XP. Bear in mind,
> I went from Win98 to Win XP, skipping WinME, Win2000.
>

> > Anyway, there are a lot of common apps that push the envelope already.
> > But short of going to multi-processors, I doubt any existing processor
> > upgrade would help much for P4 2.0+ owners.

I have a Dimension 8100 1.5GHz that I purchased about 3.5 years ago. I
upgraded from an HP Pavilion 400MHz machine. At the time the 8100 was just
about tops. When I purchased I made sure I had Win2k installed instead of
ME. At times I wish for a faster processor but for what I do - Web, email,
newsgroups, and burning the occasional DVD, PhotoShop - the 8100 does quite
well. I feel it still has plenty of life left and Win2k has been rock
solid. I have to try pretty hard to make it crash and then it rarely
happens.

So for me, I believe it will be at least 2 maybe 3 years before I even
consider my next upgrade. As long as the 8100 keeps chugging along and
doesn't have any major hardware (motherboard etc.) problems I'm a happy
camper.