What system do you have now? When will you next upgrade?

Hi guys!

My system:

Dell 2350
2.2 Ghz Celeron
384 Mb
WinXP Home/FreeBSD 4.10
40 Gb HD
DVD/CD combo drive
56 Kbps modem
Integrated video/audio

I've come to the realisation that my current system far exceeds my
computing requirements. I use it to do the budget, watch DVDs,
surfing the net, and occasionally use it for word processing.

I don't use it for games(other than Warcraft 3 or chess), or any
video/computational intensive work - although I've toyed with the idea
of getting a video recorder and doing some editing. I think the computer
should have no problems with this whatsoever.

At this stage, based on my requirements, I don't see myself upgrading
my 2350 /ever/ (bear in mind, I upgraded from a classic P100/win98 to the
2350
only because the old monitor died) - unless it's due to unrecoverable
parts/systems
failure - it has just gone out of warranty. 64 Bit processing/operating
system will
not improve my productivity or increase my usage - unless a killer
application comes
out which requires more processing power.

So, just as a matter of curiosity, what system do you have, what exactly
do you use
it for, and when will you next upgrade?

Cheers,

Buck
More about what system upgrade

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:15:30 +1000, Buck Rogers <who@cares.com.au> wrote:

    > Hi guys!
    >
    > My system:
    >
    > Dell 2350
    > 2.2 Ghz Celeron
    > 384 Mb
    > WinXP Home/FreeBSD 4.10
    > 40 Gb HD
    > DVD/CD combo drive
    > 56 Kbps modem
    > Integrated video/audio
    >

    > At this stage, based on my requirements, I don't see myself upgrading
    > my 2350 /ever/ (bear in mind, I upgraded from a classic P100/win98 to
    > the 2350
    > only because the old monitor died) - unless it's due to unrecoverable
    > parts/systems
    > failure - it has just gone out of warranty. 64 Bit processing/operating
    > system will
    > not improve my productivity or increase my usage - unless a killer
    > application comes
    > out which requires more processing power.

    PS - having said all the above, I still check the prices daily and drool
    over the new systems. I think even if I know I /don't/ need a new computer,
    I am still going to end up with one soon! Resistance is futile! :D

    Buck Rogers <who@cares.com.au> wrote:
    > So, just as a matter of curiosity, what system do you have, what exactly
    > do you use
    > it for, and when will you next upgrade?

    Not any time soon. I'll probably upgrade once Longhorn settles down
    on the desktop systems.

    Things that are noticably slow now:
    Reading PDFs
    Any type of multimedia (Premiere especially, Photoshop)
    SQLServer queries
    Games (SimCity especially, which will use all the CPU thrown at it)

    But as I already have a 2.4C processor, I doubt spending the money on
    a slightly faster core/FSB replacement CPU would make a lot of difference.
    Longhorn will probably negate any processor improvements for a year or
    two or three. Even then, I expect the extra Microsoft processor tax to
    go mostly to glitter and not performance.

    Anyway, there are a lot of common apps that push the envelope already.
    But short of going to multi-processors, I doubt any existing processor
    upgrade would help much for P4 2.0+ owners.

    I know of people who are still using old 486's with 32MB of ram running
    Windows 95. On the other hand, I also know of people who own expensive
    prescotts with a gig of ram and x generation video cards, that do
    nothing more than word process and email -- but that is another post.

    When I purchased my Dimension 8200, I was heavily into games. Now, my
    flashy video card is going to waste because I no longer have the time or
    desire to play those games anymore. For my current needs, I suspect this
    will last until the parts decay. My next upgrade will be when I can
    afford a budget laptop, or perhaps, when a revolutionary new game comes
    out that is actually worth my time and money to play.. Although, such a
    game may run on a budget laptop. ^.~

    On 18 Aug 2004 17:41:23 GMT, Brian <brian@sdsu.edu> wrote:

    > Buck Rogers <who@cares.com.au> wrote:
    >> So, just as a matter of curiosity, what system do you have, what exactly
    >> do you use
    >> it for, and when will you next upgrade?
    >
    > Not any time soon. I'll probably upgrade once Longhorn settles down
    > on the desktop systems.
    >
    > Things that are noticably slow now:
    > Reading PDFs
    > Any type of multimedia (Premiere especially, Photoshop)
    > SQLServer queries
    > Games (SimCity especially, which will use all the CPU thrown at it)

    I think even the newest systems, have the same problems to a lesser extent.

    > Longhorn will probably negate any processor improvements for a year or
    > two or three. Even then, I expect the extra Microsoft processor tax to
    > go mostly to glitter and not performance.

    I'll be skipping Longhorn altogether - I don't think I'll be able to
    do anything new in Longhorn that I can't already do in XP. Bear in mind,
    I went from Win98 to Win XP, skipping WinME, Win2000.

    "Buck Rogers" <who@cares.com.au> wrote in message
    > On 18 Aug 2004 17:41:23 GMT, Brian <brian@sdsu.edu> wrote:
    >
    > > Buck Rogers <who@cares.com.au> wrote:
    > >> So, just as a matter of curiosity, what system do you have, what
    exactly
    > >> do you use
    > >> it for, and when will you next upgrade?
    > >
    > > Not any time soon. I'll probably upgrade once Longhorn settles down
    > > on the desktop systems.
    > >
    > > Things that are noticably slow now:
    > > Reading PDFs
    > > Any type of multimedia (Premiere especially, Photoshop)
    > > SQLServer queries
    > > Games (SimCity especially, which will use all the CPU thrown at it)
    > >

    > I think even the newest systems, have the same problems to a lesser
    extent.

    > > Longhorn will probably negate any processor improvements for a year or
    > > two or three. Even then, I expect the extra Microsoft processor tax to
    > > go mostly to glitter and not performance.
    >

    > I'll be skipping Longhorn altogether - I don't think I'll be able to
    > do anything new in Longhorn that I can't already do in XP. Bear in mind,
    > I went from Win98 to Win XP, skipping WinME, Win2000.
    >

    > > Anyway, there are a lot of common apps that push the envelope already.
    > > But short of going to multi-processors, I doubt any existing processor
    > > upgrade would help much for P4 2.0+ owners.

    I have a Dimension 8100 1.5GHz that I purchased about 3.5 years ago. I
    upgraded from an HP Pavilion 400MHz machine. At the time the 8100 was just
    about tops. When I purchased I made sure I had Win2k installed instead of
    ME. At times I wish for a faster processor but for what I do - Web, email,
    newsgroups, and burning the occasional DVD, PhotoShop - the 8100 does quite
    well. I feel it still has plenty of life left and Win2k has been rock
    solid. I have to try pretty hard to make it crash and then it rarely
    happens.

    So for me, I believe it will be at least 2 maybe 3 years before I even
    consider my next upgrade. As long as the 8100 keeps chugging along and
    doesn't have any major hardware (motherboard etc.) problems I'm a happy
    camper.

Dell Video Computers Product