Tungsten E hotsync w USB freezes when installing files but..

February 10, 2005 1:58:12 PM

Hi,

I have a 1 year old PalmOne Tungsten E. It works fine at home with my
desktop PC, but I have a slight problem at work. I use a Compaq laptop
with a docking station at work and sync to the Palm with a USB cable.
Everything works fine (hotsync, spash wallet, backup buddy, etc.) as
long as I'm not installing any files.

Here's my problem: If I try to install a new program or database or
photo, then the hotsync freezes and eventually times out.

My work-around is simple, 1)I just use the IR link on the laptop,
2)Write to the Palm's external 512 MB SD directly using my PCMCIA SD
adapter, or 3)I just wait until I get home and use my desktop PC.

Is my laptop's USB port to weak to write files to the Palm? It seems
to sync the calendar, notepad, memopad, etc. just fine, so why can't I
install files? My previous work laptop (a Toshiba) worked great. It's
something about this Compaq Evo n800C and the docking station.

Regards,
Bob M.
February 10, 2005 5:39:54 PM

Humph. I've been using the docking station's USB port since the the
laptops' ports are blocked when docked. I'll try the loptop directly
and see what happens. Btw, that Toshiba laptop didn't have a docking
station, so maybe that's why it was never a problem.

Thanks, Bob
February 10, 2005 7:02:00 PM

BillB wrote:

> It may not be a matter of the USB port being 'weak'. Some
> manufacturers suggest avoiding the use of a hub. Is the Compaq's
> USB port built into the laptop itself or is it part of the docking
> station? If it's part of the laptop then I have no idea what's
> causing the problem.
>
> If the USB port is built into the docking station, then even if it
> is not technically part of a hub, its implementation in the docking
> station may have introduced the same problems that hubs sometimes
> cause. In that case, does the laptop have a USB port of its own
> that is hidden by the docking station, and which can be tested with
> your TE after removing the docking station?

Bingo. I just tried using the USB port directly on the laptop and it
works just fine. So what I've done is remove the cover that prevented
access from the laptop's internal USB ports when it was plugged into
the docking station. Now I have the Palm plugged into the laptop and
the other peripherals into the docking station and everything is
working great.

Thanks for the help,
Bob M.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 10, 2005 10:38:12 PM

On 10 Feb 2005 10:58:12 -0800, Bob wrote:

> I have a 1 year old PalmOne Tungsten E. It works fine at home with my
> desktop PC, but I have a slight problem at work. I use a Compaq laptop
> with a docking station at work and sync to the Palm with a USB cable.
> Everything works fine (hotsync, spash wallet, backup buddy, etc.) as
> long as I'm not installing any files.
> . . .
> Is my laptop's USB port to weak to write files to the Palm? It seems
> to sync the calendar, notepad, memopad, etc. just fine, so why can't I
> install files? My previous work laptop (a Toshiba) worked great. It's
> something about this Compaq Evo n800C and the docking station.

It may not be a matter of the USB port being 'weak'. Some
manufacturers suggest avoiding the use of a hub. Is the Compaq's
USB port built into the laptop itself or is it part of the docking
station? If it's part of the laptop then I have no idea what's
causing the problem.

If the USB port is built into the docking station, then even if it
is not technically part of a hub, its implementation in the docking
station may have introduced the same problems that hubs sometimes
cause. In that case, does the laptop have a USB port of its own
that is hidden by the docking station, and which can be tested with
your TE after removing the docking station?
February 11, 2005 3:35:05 AM

On 10 Feb 2005 16:02:00 -0800, Bob wrote:

> Bingo. I just tried using the USB port directly on the laptop and it
> works just fine. So what I've done is remove the cover that prevented
> access from the laptop's internal USB ports when it was plugged into
> the docking station. Now I have the Palm plugged into the laptop and
> the other peripherals into the docking station and everything is
> working great.
>
> Thanks for the help,

You're welcome. Glad you were able to get it to work, and even
better, without having to remove the laptop from the docking station
each time you hotsync.
!