Which Roguelike has most intelligent NPCs?

Last response: in Video Games
September 20, 2005 11:52:24 PM

just curious. So far, I've spent a lot of time playing Nethack, Angband
and Adom. of those three, I would give the nod to the nPCs from Nethack
in terms of how intelligent they are about attack strategies and using
equipment.

--Al
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 4:23:49 AM

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:52:24 -0400, Al Puzzuoli <alpuzz@comcast.net>
wrote:

>just curious. So far, I've spent a lot of time playing Nethack, Angband
>and Adom. of those three, I would give the nod to the nPCs from Nethack
>in terms of how intelligent they are about attack strategies and using
>equipment.

Not of them have a jot, shred, or iota of intelligence, I'm sorry to
inform you. They are all mere mindless automata. So, the answer is: a
scoreless tie between all roguelikes.

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

wrote:

>just curious. So far, I've spent a lot of time playing Nethack, Angband
>and Adom. of those three, I would give the nod to the nPCs from Nethack
>in terms of how intelligent they are about attack strategies and using
>equipment.

Well, Crawl NPCs (the intelligent ones, that is - some monsters
rightfully do not possess such cunning) shout to alert their buddies
to your presence, prefer to stand back and use missiles/wands/spells
from a distance, and retreat "through" crowds to get away from you
when dying.
September 21, 2005 10:55:44 AM

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 01:04:39 GMT, A. Contrary
<fake.address@please.reply.to.usenet.tv> tried to confuse everyone with

>On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:52:24 -0400, Al Puzzuoli <alpuzz@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>just curious. So far, I've spent a lot of time playing Nethack, Angband
>>and Adom. of those three, I would give the nod to the nPCs from Nethack
>>in terms of how intelligent they are about attack strategies and using
>>equipment.
>
>Well, Crawl NPCs (the intelligent ones, that is - some monsters
>rightfully do not possess such cunning) shout to alert their buddies
>to your presence, prefer to stand back and use missiles/wands/spells
>from a distance, and retreat "through" crowds to get away from you
>when dying.

I also think Crawl monsters are pretty smart. Small snakes for example -
they use every opportunity to surround your character going around walls
just to get at your back. My character was chased by hobgoblin and small
snake. He ran into this position:

..##S
..@.g
..##.

The monsters weren't moving at the free square! Hobgoblin waited until
the snake runs around the rock and they attacked at the same time!

--
|a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
| m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru http://grue3.tripod.com |
| k || PWNZ J00 || Kingdom of Loathing: Grue3 lvl 18 Seal Clubber |
`-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 11:53:07 AM

> Those are very sophisticated mindless automata, but they're still
> mindless automata. They can't do anything they haven't been programmed
> to do.
If you programmed a lot you should know that sometimes your programs do
things
you not only never programmed them for, but never thought are possible
at all!
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 2:15:50 PM

Dnia Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:23:49 -0700, R. Dan Henry napisa³(a):
> Not of them have a jot, shred, or iota of intelligence, I'm sorry to
> inform you. They are all mere mindless automata. So, the answer is: a
> scoreless tie between all roguelikes.

in Xenocide monsters use available equipment,
choose the best weapon to fight (considering their skills),
communicate with others to exchange information about enemy,
are more courageous in group, open doors, search for enemy,
avoid dangers like fire, gas clouds, activated grenades etc.,
choose safe places to throw grenades, use defensive techniques
like force fields...

I think about opening sources, because I completely have no time
to write my game :/  (the sources are in Polish language).

regards,
Jakub
--
"We're just toys in the hands of Xom"
xenocide.e-plan.pl - SF roguelike in development

Jakub Debski <jakub@mks.com.pl> wrote:
>Dnia Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:23:49 -0700, R. Dan Henry napisa³(a):
>> Not of them have a jot, shred, or iota of intelligence, I'm sorry to
>> inform you. They are all mere mindless automata. So, the answer is: a
>> scoreless tie between all roguelikes.
>
>in Xenocide monsters use available equipment,
>choose the best weapon to fight (considering their skills),
>communicate with others to exchange information about enemy,
>are more courageous in group, open doors, search for enemy,
>avoid dangers like fire, gas clouds, activated grenades etc.,
>choose safe places to throw grenades, use defensive techniques
>like force fields...

To (roughly) quote the Fourth Doctor:

"Computers are very sophisticated idiots. They'll do anything you tell
them, even if you tell them to kill you."

Those are very sophisticated mindless automata, but they're still
mindless automata. They can't do anything they haven't been programmed
to do.
\_\/_/ http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/dungeonbash/
\ / "tempted white eyes blinded by the night hollow like the towers from the
\/ inside laura's a machine she's burning insane" fields of the nephilim
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 4:17:31 PM

Dnia 21 Sep 2005 10:33:40 +0100 (BST), Martin Read napisa³(a):
> Those are very sophisticated mindless automata, but they're still
> mindless automata. They can't do anything they haven't been programmed
> to do.

and roguelikes are just a computer games.

regards,
Jakub
--
"We're just toys in the hands of Xom"
xenocide.e-plan.pl - SF roguelike in development
www.graveyard.uni.cc - visit Roguelike Graveyard
www.alamak0ta.republika.pl - my other projects
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 7:53:04 PM

On 21 Sep 2005 10:33:40 +0100 (BST), Martin Read
<mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> tried to confuse everyone with this
message:

>Jakub Debski <jakub@mks.com.pl> wrote:
>>Dnia Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:23:49 -0700, R. Dan Henry napisa³(a):
>>> Not of them have a jot, shred, or iota of intelligence, I'm sorry to
>>> inform you. They are all mere mindless automata. So, the answer is: a
>>> scoreless tie between all roguelikes.
>>
>>in Xenocide monsters use available equipment,
>>choose the best weapon to fight (considering their skills),
>>communicate with others to exchange information about enemy,
>>are more courageous in group, open doors, search for enemy,
>>avoid dangers like fire, gas clouds, activated grenades etc.,
>>choose safe places to throw grenades, use defensive techniques
>>like force fields...
>
>To (roughly) quote the Fourth Doctor:
>
>"Computers are very sophisticated idiots. They'll do anything you tell
>them, even if you tell them to kill you."
>
>Those are very sophisticated mindless automata, but they're still
>mindless automata. They can't do anything they haven't been programmed
>to do.

The problem is that sometimes you don't know what you told them. When
you call random you don't know the result beforehand. If you define
intelligence as unexpected behavior, RNG is AI.

--
|a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
| m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru http://grue3.tripod.com |
| k || PWNZ J00 || Kingdom of Loathing: Grue3 lvl 18 Seal Clubber |
`-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 8:31:19 PM

"Ilyak" <ilya.kasnacheev@gmail.com> wrote:
>If you programmed a lot you should know that sometimes your programs do
>things you not only never programmed them for, but never thought are
>possible at all!

Indeed.

I call such occurrences "bugs" or "unintended features", depending on
whether I like them or not.

The fact remains that (unless my compiler is broken) I told the computer
to do those things.
\_\/_/ http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/dungeonbash/
\ / "tempted white eyes blinded by the night hollow like the towers from the
\/ inside laura's a machine she's burning insane" fields of the nephilim
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 9:14:42 PM

At Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:15:50 +0200,
Jakub Debski wrote:

> Dnia Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:23:49 -0700, R. Dan Henry napisa³(a):
> I think about opening sources, because I completely have no time
> to write my game :/  (the sources are in Polish language).

Wow! How do you compile it from Polish to binaries? ;)
--
Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski @**@_
(..) 3 Bee!

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:53:04 GMT, grue@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) wrote:

>The problem is that sometimes you don't know what you told them. When
>you call random you don't know the result beforehand. If you define
>intelligence as unexpected behavior, RNG is AI.

So, by that definition, the stupider you are, then the more intelligent
things there are in the universe.

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

Radomir 'The Sheep' Dopieralski wrote:
> At Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:15:50 +0200,
> Jakub Debski wrote:
>
> > Dnia Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:23:49 -0700, R. Dan Henry napisa³(a):
> > I think about opening sources, because I completely have no time
> > to write my game :/  (the sources are in Polish language).
>
> Wow! How do you compile it from Polish to binaries? ;)
> --
> Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski @**@_
> (..) 3 Bee!
> . . . ..v.vVvVVvVvv.v.. .

Machine translation software, of course!

e.
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 8:43:08 PM

Dnia 22 Sep 2005 03:42:28 -0700, Erik Piper napisa³(a):
> Machine translation software, of course!

Be quiet! It's our Secret Technology (tm)! ;)

regards,
Jakub
--
!