3D/FPS Roguelikes?

Hi All,

Haven't played any roguelikes for years, but have just discovered Crawl
and am enjoying it....made me wonder, are there any first-person
perspective graphical roguelikes around?

The only one I can think of is the old D&D-license "Dungeon Hack",
which was quite fun...

Mike

Michael L Phillips wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Haven't played any roguelikes for years, but have just discovered Crawl
> and am enjoying it....made me wonder, are there any first-person
> perspective graphical roguelikes around?
>
> The only one I can think of is the old D&D-license "Dungeon Hack",
> which was quite fun...
>
> Mike

A game that comes to mind is Daggerfall, which could be described as a
first person roguelike. It's about 10 years old now, though.

As for new games, there's a mod to Doom 3 called DungeonDoom, and the
guys behind Diablo are working on a game called Hellgate London, none
of which I've tried.

Searching for older topics, I found the topic "First person RLs" in
rec.games.roguelike.development. Link to google groups:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.development/browse_frm/thread/f42affb3a058fba8/737252943d8ac4ae?tvc=1

At Sat, 24 Sep 2005 13:43:37 GMT,
Michael L Phillips wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Haven't played any roguelikes for years, but have just discovered Crawl
> and am enjoying it....made me wonder, are there any first-person
> perspective graphical roguelikes around?
>
> The only one I can think of is the old D&D-license "Dungeon Hack",
> which was quite fun...

Gearhead 2 is going graphical 3D, altrough I think it's rather TPP.

--
Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski @**@_
(`') 3 Grrr!

Radomir 'The Sheep' Dopieralski wrote:
> At Sat, 24 Sep 2005 13:43:37 GMT,
> Michael L Phillips wrote:
> > Haven't played any roguelikes for years, but have just discovered Crawl
> > and am enjoying it....made me wonder, are there any first-person
> > perspective graphical roguelikes around?
> >
> > The only one I can think of is the old D&D-license "Dungeon Hack",
> > which was quite fun...
>
> Gearhead 2 is going graphical 3D, altrough I think it's rather TPP.

Yes. Specifically, it's an over-the-shoulder 3D view. You can see a
picture here:

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pyrrho12/detail?.dir=6c59&.dnm=9852.jpg&.src=ph

Right now you press left to turn left, right to turn right, and up to
move forward. The keys should be remappable but I haven't tested it so
I can't guaranteed that it hasn't been broken by the GH1->GH2 changes.
The camera follows behind the PC, and may be zoomed with PgUp and
PgDown.

At some point in time I'll add a config option to switch between the
above control system and a more regular RogueLike control system.

- JH.
http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org

At 26 Sep 2005 06:33:16 -0700,
Joe Hewitt wrote:

> Radomir 'The Sheep' Dopieralski wrote:
>> At Sat, 24 Sep 2005 13:43:37 GMT,
>> Michael L Phillips wrote:
>> > Haven't played any roguelikes for years, but have just discovered Crawl
>> > and am enjoying it....made me wonder, are there any first-person
>> > perspective graphical roguelikes around?
>> >
>> > The only one I can think of is the old D&D-license "Dungeon Hack",
>> > which was quite fun...
>>
>> Gearhead 2 is going graphical 3D, altrough I think it's rather TPP.
>
> Yes. Specifically, it's an over-the-shoulder 3D view. You can see a
> picture here:
>
> http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pyrrho12/detail?.dir=6c59&.dnm=9852.jpg&.src=ph

Very nice, but it seems that even some simple, bitmapped, oval shadows
under the creatures would add much to the overall looks.

--
Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski @**@_
(@a) 3 Be?

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 13:43:37 GMT, "Michael L Phillips"
<auryx@yahoo.co.uk> tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>Hi All,
>
>Haven't played any roguelikes for years, but have just discovered Crawl
>and am enjoying it....made me wonder, are there any first-person
>perspective graphical roguelikes around?
>
>The only one I can think of is the old D&D-license "Dungeon Hack",
>which was quite fun...

Armok: God of Blood
http://www.bay12games.com (they have many awesome games, check them
out!)

--
|a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
| m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru http://grue3.tripod.com |
| k || PWNZ J00 || Kingdom of Loathing: Grue3 lvl 18 Seal Clubber |
`-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]

In article <dKcZe.13896$_56.1367@newsfe1-win.ntli.net>, "Michael L Phillips" <auryx@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Haven't played any roguelikes for years, but have just discovered Crawl
>and am enjoying it....made me wonder, are there any first-person
>perspective graphical roguelikes around?
>
>The only one I can think of is the old D&D-license "Dungeon Hack",
>which was quite fun...
>
>Mike

Moraff's World.

Alan