network cable unpugged 4100 inspiron

Basically what the subject says. I have dsl and i just want to connect my
notebook straight to the modem. No network or anything but nothing happens.
I just get the little network icon with an x on it on the toolbar. And when
I click on it it says its unplugged. Everythings plugged in and works cuz i
could connect it to my desktop and the internet is up and running.

It has worked before. So Im not sure whatsup. Can anyone suggest a fix to
this. Ive tried reinstalling the drivers, even windows xp and still nothing.
I have windows xp home edition btw. Well hope someone can help me out. TIA

Also I could plug the usb and that works. Except I have to use a usb mouse
and I only have one usb port. Id really like to fix this problem cuz I want
to sell the notebook.

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:18:24 GMT, "arias" <georgearias@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Basically what the subject says. I have dsl and i just want to connect my
>notebook straight to the modem. No network or anything but nothing happens.
>I just get the little network icon with an x on it on the toolbar. And when
>I click on it it says its unplugged. Everythings plugged in and works cuz i
>could connect it to my desktop and the internet is up and running.

Don't know about your model, but I have a lady friend that has one of
those combo modem/NIC mini pci cards in it. It too would not work
with my router, where 3 other desktops did as well as a USB NIC did.
It showed not connected. But other devices, it worked fine. Best I
can tell it had a signal level issue of what was logical 1 or logical
0. Of course Dell was no help.

The only reason we never fought, is because the friend is on dial up,
and we only used the NIC part of the card when I was doing updates,
etc at my house. I just use my hub in place of my router, and all
works.

You know what to do: shdb at slip dot net