MN500 disconnects once an hour

I have a wired PC running XPsp2 connected to the MN500
base and a wireless notebook connected. In the last
several weeks, I've noticed that my connection drops
every hour (exactly one hour apart). Several minutes go
by and I can reconnect to the internet or sometimes I
have to log onto the base station, release/renew my IP
and then all is well. If I connect the PC directly to the
cable modem, I get no disconnects.
I've got the latest firmware/software, etc.

Any suggestions on where I can begin to troubleshoot? I'm
thinking the base station performs "some task" every hour
that is causing the connection to drop but I can find out
what that task is.

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about mn500 disconnects hour

    What is the client lease time set to? Set it to the maximum (2 weeks)
    and see if things change.

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:33:38 -0700, "David"

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    It was set for 1 week. I've changed it to 2 weeks and
    will test it out.

    I've also changed the media type to auto select (was
    hardware default). I'm skeptical about this change since
    the same behaviour is exhibited on the wireless notebook,
    but we'll see.

    I've noticed some other postings that this may have to do
    with some incompatibility between the MN500 and my cable
    modem and/or ISP. The modem is a WebStar - Scientific
    Atlanta DPX2100 series.

    try the forums on dslreports.com and see what others have to say about
    this modem and your ISP.

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:30:41 -0700, "David"

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Well, I made the changes per below and I'm still dropping
    the connection once an hour (exaclty).

    I'll check out dslreports.com...is there an equivalent
    for cable modems?

    actually, you should find forum support for cable modems as well on
    dslreports.com

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 20:30:19 -0800, "David"

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    I'm having similar problems, though it is not once per
    hour, it's more like once per day. I can still connect to
    the MN-500's webserver but its connection to the surfboard
    modem dies, I have to restart the router. This is driving
    me insane! I am also set to 2 week dhcp lease as
    suggested. Comcast reports the modem has a great
    connection. Please help!

    can you post a copy of the base station log here?

    On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 10:34:38 -0800, "Josh"

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

Routers Connection Networking