MN500 disconnects once an hour

Last response: in Networking
Share
October 29, 2004 10:33:38 PM

I have a wired PC running XPsp2 connected to the MN500
base and a wireless notebook connected. In the last
several weeks, I've noticed that my connection drops
every hour (exactly one hour apart). Several minutes go
by and I can reconnect to the internet or sometimes I
have to log onto the base station, release/renew my IP
and then all is well. If I connect the PC directly to the
cable modem, I get no disconnects.
I've got the latest firmware/software, etc.

Any suggestions on where I can begin to troubleshoot? I'm
thinking the base station performs "some task" every hour
that is causing the connection to drop but I can find out
what that task is.

Thanks.

More about : mn500 disconnects hour

Anonymous
October 30, 2004 11:26:38 AM

What is the client lease time set to? Set it to the maximum (2 weeks)
and see if things change.

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:33:38 -0700, "David"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

It was set for 1 week. I've changed it to 2 weeks and
will test it out.

I've also changed the media type to auto select (was
hardware default). I'm skeptical about this change since
the same behaviour is exhibited on the wireless notebook,
but we'll see.

I've noticed some other postings that this may have to do
with some incompatibility between the MN500 and my cable
modem and/or ISP. The modem is a WebStar - Scientific
Atlanta DPX2100 series.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 8:29:42 AM

try the forums on dslreports.com and see what others have to say about
this modem and your ISP.

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:30:41 -0700, "David"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Well, I made the changes per below and I'm still dropping
the connection once an hour (exaclty).

I'll check out dslreports.com...is there an equivalent
for cable modems?

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 8:45:32 AM

actually, you should find forum support for cable modems as well on
dslreports.com

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 20:30:19 -0800, "David"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

I'm having similar problems, though it is not once per
hour, it's more like once per day. I can still connect to
the MN-500's webserver but its connection to the surfboard
modem dies, I have to restart the router. This is driving
me insane! I am also set to 2 week dhcp lease as
suggested. Comcast reports the modem has a great
connection. Please help!

Anonymous
November 6, 2004 8:01:44 PM

can you post a copy of the base station log here?

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 10:34:38 -0800, "Josh"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist