Sign in with
Your question

Do keyboards "wear out"?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 25, 2012 5:27:05 AM

I've had the version 2 Logitech G15 Keyboard for almost 5 years now and recently my space bar hasn't been coming back up right as I release my finger from it. There's a slight delay after I release my finger from it before it comes up. I've never spilled any liquid on my keyboard before so I know that wasn't an issue, but I thought there might be some crumbs interfering with it so I removed the key, cleaned it and the bar that attaches to it, and also cleaned the area under the key. After I did all that I tried it again but there was still a slight delay after I released my finger from the key before it came up. I then removed the screws and checked inside the keyboard to see if something with the rubber dome sheet was messed up, but everything looked fine.

Keep in mind over the (almost 5) years I've had this keyboard, I've used it heavily. So my question is, is the problem I'm having just an issue with the keyboard getting "worn out"?

More about : keyboards wear

September 25, 2012 2:20:40 PM

Yes, keyboards and keys wear out.
m
l
September 25, 2012 3:26:39 PM

tap repeatedly on the key, shake the keyboard upside down and try blowing compresed air between the keys. sometimes crud works its way in and jams keys up. you would be suprised how much dead skin, dust and other grime works its way inside.

yes, keyboards can wear out but sometimes they can also get a stuck key which acts as you described. i would try and unstick it before you get a new keyboard just in case.
m
l
Related resources
September 25, 2012 4:09:49 PM

ssddx said:
tap repeatedly on the key, shake the keyboard upside down and try blowing compresed air between the keys. sometimes crud works its way in and jams keys up. you would be suprised how much dead skin, dust and other grime works its way inside.

yes, keyboards can wear out but sometimes they can also get a stuck key which acts as you described. i would try and unstick it before you get a new keyboard just in case.

I forgot to say that I have tried pressing the key repeatedly and that didn't work either. And as I said in my original post, I've cleaned the key and the area underneath the key but that didn't do anything.

So is the problem I'm experiencing a result of the keyboard wearing out?
m
l
September 25, 2012 4:52:12 PM

They are rated for a certain number of key-presses. This could be millions but I think it depends on the manufacturer. I've had a Logitech LX710 desktop for at least 6 years and it works fine but the finish is totally worn out.

The only thing you can really do is clean it.
m
l
September 25, 2012 8:35:14 PM

Ninjabear said:
They are rated for a certain number of key-presses. This could be millions but I think it depends on the manufacturer. I've had a Logitech LX710 desktop for at least 6 years and it works fine but the finish is totally worn out.

The only thing you can really do is clean it.

So after the rated number of key presses for a key does the key start to act like my space bar is acting right now?
m
l
September 26, 2012 11:25:36 AM

the rated number of presses is just an estimate. considering all of the variables which affect this estimate you shouldnt put too much stock in this.

if the keyboard is clean then the rubber dome might just be starting to wear out. considering you have had the kb for 5 years you might as well get a new one instead of tinkering away.
m
l
!