PIII 1 GHZ

mason4

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2001
I was wondering if anyone knows what the average temp. of the PIII 1GHZ.I have a MSI MB 6337 with a PIII 1GHZ using a alpha 66 heatsink. The temp sometimes gets up to 55 to 60c it averages at 48c, Is that too high or could the board be givig me bad readings.Could the cpu be bad? I did use some Ultra Silver thermal grease. Thanks Dave

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mason4 on 04/04/01 00:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

That's very odd

because i thought Intel Cpu's were ice cold

Hmmmm

Its actually 48c

something must me terribly wrong...
=o

no im kidding
48 is fine

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

G

I like my shower water between 48 and 52C (face and back). Believe me, this is not hot enough to damage silicon or epoxy ! I've been in 55C hot spring water, but only for seconds (the things we do when we are young and stupid !)

Get a Celsius thermometer, and you'll see what I mean.

Processors that run at 70-80 would be fine if that was the actual temperature that they ran at. But, the sensor doesn't see the thermal spikes, especially in overclocked systems, where thermalstability can be an oxymoron. But then, look at AMD chips. Many of them run at 65C without failing for months.. even years.

Get a better HSF if you are concerned.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you use paste when you mounted the heatsink? If instead you used that little insulating blanket they put on the bottom of most heatsinks, that's the problem! I put together a PIII 866 and thought I'd try "the preinstalled pad" only to see the temp sky up to over 60 degrees... Pulled the HSF off, scraped off the goop and went to heat paste and it dropped into the 40's.

Scout

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually that is rather hot. Any hotter and you may experience instability. Cool it down! BTW, I have heard mixed reviews on the Alpha coolers-they are supposed to be the best, but people who actually test them tend to dissagee. Check out Tom's reviews! BTW, My PIII 700 runs cooler than that at 1ghz/1.9v!

Suicide is painless...........

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Once again Crashman is right. I have a FCPGA PIII 1GHz(133MHZ) on a ASUS S370-DL slotket with the retail HS/F and MBM is reporting an average of about 33c. I've used Alphas before. They make a quality product. If you're seeng an average of 55c, something's not right.

"This was no boating accident"

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well try the Dragon Orb with it. That monster doesn't work ask the reseller to replace your p3

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
How hot is it in your house. My P3 800 got up to 54c when it usually runs in the lower 30's. However it was 36c in my apartment at the time. So if it's abnormally hot in your house test it out first thing in the morning when it's cooler.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

koolman_

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
i have a PIII 1GHz and an Intel D815EPEA2 mobo.According to the intel active moniter my CPU temp remains constant between 4o to 50c i also use a large casing which helps in good airflow one more thing do you use cpu intensive applications(like games) alot if this is the case than it might causing you the problem.

"Giving Up is the step towards failure"

G

I'm running an overclocked P3, and I live in CA, hella hot here lately. I was using the crappy Intel heat pad thing on my HS for months, and with the heat, I was hitting 50c, I pulled it off, threw some paste on there, and now it rarely hits 40c, so I'd say just get some thermal paste from radio shack. 2 bucks well spent.

...nevermind, didnt see that you used paste already...

weasle

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by crazyweasle on 07/07/01 05:46 AM.</EM></FONT></P>